Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism and Homosexuality

Hi to all, I just wanted to ask how buddhism in modern time deals with homosexuality and lesbians. How can they develop practice and deal with "self"
Hope I don't offend anyone with my question. Thanks.

Comments

• Rowan1980Rowan1980 Keeper of the Zoo Asheville, NC Veteran
    From personal experience, which is admittedly limited, presumably just like heterosexual people. Your experiences may vary.
    Kundo
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

I found these links:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism_and_sexual_orientation
    http://www.buddhanet.net/homosexu.htm
    http://www.religionfacts.com/buddhism/ethics/homosexuality

Tolerance towards homosexuality varies according to the cultural background.

I have several Buddhist acquaintances who are gay, so I guess whatever Buddhism in particular has to say about homosexuality, and any major religion in general, has not deterred homosexual people from professing those beliefs.

Rowan1980
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

To my knowledge the Buddha didn't address the issue :D . Kind of like the Christian bible doesn't address gay marriage, though some Christians regard it as the reason for AIDS and September 11 and so forth.

Sex is sex and humans are polymorphously perverse. We can do 'sex' with just about, erm, anything and anyone. What we have sex WITH isn't addressed. Sexual behavior is definitely an avenue to get one's self into all kinds of suffering, and so it makes sense that sexual behavior is addressed by the Buddha directly. I don't know if or how homosexuality is addressed in later additions to the scriptures of Buddhism, it may be. But like Fede says, culture tends to drive these issues.

That said, the precept about sexual behavior is very common sense, it is an ethic rather than a 'thou shalt not' moral. It is a concept that marries reducing/eliminating suffering with our sexual behavior, just like marrying what we eat with the reduction/elimination of suffering, therefore, vegetarianism.

EarthninjaRowan1980
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran
    I don't think anybody can answer for Buddhism. It's so varied from person to person :surprised:

I honestly don't know how 'Buddhism' deals with 'it'
    But for me it's like asking how Buddhism deals with people who like the colour red.

We are all human but no two humans express themselves the same. I don't see how it makes any difference what so ever.
    It's delusions that I see as a problem.
    Just my humble opinion. I'm not really into buddhist politics. XD
    Rowan1980Rodrigo
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Not to put to fine a point on it, my understanding is that Buddhism doesn't mind if you screw door knobs as long as you pay attention to and take responsibility for your actions ... and cause no harm.

Rowan1980TheswingisyellowToshLinc
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

There is no one set of views or values that "Buddhism" assigns to its followers. Because we have no real Buddhist Bible or any other such thing, it takes the shape of its followers and the culture it is within. Not the other way around as it works for some other religions.

Some things you might read can be quite strict. The Dalai Lama has, in the past, had quite a strict view on it, but he has loosened that up a bit and pretty much left it to "as long as no one is harmed, whatever you want to do" except for monastics of course. You will likely receive as many opinions as there are Buddhists.

Nave650
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

@mockeymind

My zafu claims...

Buddhism is just a representation of humanity that calls itself Buddhist.

That the Buddha would say that anyone's transcendence of the human condition better represents his teachings than any tribal membership of Buddhists.

That sexual preference, or gender, has little to do selflessness or the path towards suffering's cessation.

Earthninja
  • Fair enough, I also believe in the freedom of choice as long that they don't create harm to others. Buddhists I think have far more qualities in understanding compassion than any other form of religions. In general, buddhists seems accept people and their beliefs or background as they are. Not trying to change, no judgement.

• @how - In the context of the precept of sexual misconduct - I'm wonder how could this applies in the third sex world.

• howhow Veteran Veteran

@mockeymind

Any conduct that is
    ceasing from evil,
    doing only good,
    purifying ones heart/mind?
    is not misconduct.

This applies to my understanding of the precept of sexual misconduct.

edited May 2015

doing only good

@how -- Will you point out a man, woman, child or set of experiential circumstances that fulfills this criterion?

• TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    I can't reconcile discrimination with compassion and loving kindness. Old school dogma/prejudice may say something else. Buddhism is also culturally dependent
    Rowan1980
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

@genkaku said:
    how -- Will you point out a man, woman, child or set of experiential circumstances that fulfills this criterion?

Just as soon as you try out that absolute on your own posting above about .."Causing no harm".

@how -- It seems we have hit an impossible wall.

• howhow Veteran Veteran

@genkaku

I think that doing only good or causing no harm
    is just us doing the best that we can for everyone.
    There is no absolute to it that is helpful.

The difficulty with any sexuality is that the sexuality itself is largely an expression of self interest that tends to obscures our sensitivity to what is best for everyone.

Kundo
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

I've never come across homosexuality being an issue with Buddhists in the UK. Quite the reverse with one particular group! ;)

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited May 2015

^^^ The 'compulsory homosexuality for serious practitioners' in the UK has rebranded itself. As a closet heterosexual I was always welcome and found their combination of vipassana and metta very balanced.

Just the head honcho was a little distracted.
    http://westlondonbuddhistcentre.com/about/sangharakshita/

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited May 2015

@lobster said:> ^^^ The 'compulsory homosexuality for serious practitioners' in the UK has rebranded itself. As a closet heterosexual I was always welcome and found their combination of vipassana and metta very balanced.

I can remember being encouraged to explore my sexuality. Repeatedly. ;)

It really was a mess in the early days, everything was organised on the single sex principle to reduce distraction, which is fine when everybody is straight, but of course a lot of gay people were attracted to the movement due to the founder's "leanings". So there were people having gay relationships in single sex communities, which really defeated the object...and so it went on.

lobster