Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditation Corner/Room

I am moving into a house next year and I would like to meditate more often; I think I would benfit from having a place set aside for meditation. Does anyone have separate room or a part of a room set aside for meditation? What does it look like? What kind of routine do you have? I'm not looking to copy anyone, just ideas for my own meditation area. After all, from what I've learned from all the wisdom on here, I'm supposed to take everything with a grain of salt and decide for myself. ;)

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I had a lovely room in the house I used to own in France. Everyone called it " The East Room " because you could watch the sun rise...
    It was the most peaceful room in the place, and I often found my youngest daughter in there, reading or even dozing, occasionally!
    I haven't had the luxury since of having a room like that again.
    It would be nice, but all things come to those who wait....

Enjoy your room.

Seriously, focus on creating somewhere you could happily stay in for hours....

Nave650dantepw
  • Thanks! It is likely that this room will also be my bedroom, so yes, I will be happily staying in it for hours.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Personally I would have a separate room entirely. I would prefer to not combine the two, but perhaps needs must, when the Devil drives...

RuddyDuck9
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

I meditate in the middle of the lounge, that's where the cushion and bell are situated, in fact that the only thing I do in it...I very rarely use it for anything else...If I have visitors we normally sit in the kitchen...

• bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran

I like to meditate in my small closet.

This brings to mind the quotation "...When am I NOT meditating...? "

• howhow Veteran Veteran

@Nave650

I have a meditation room in my basement, which would otherwise be called a spare bedroom if it had anything more in it than zafu's, zabutans, incense and a bell.
    Our Routine is to sit there when we have nothing better to do.
    Usually first thing in the morning and again before going to sleep.
    I think keeping any area specifically set aside, just for meditation, can be an encouraging statement of the priority that you make of your practice in your world.

ShoshinNave650lobster
  • ZenniZenni Veteran

I meditate every morning in a spacious corner of my living room.
    Set up shop by rolling out my mat and lighting a candle.

Earthninja
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited May 2015

@Nave650 said:> I am moving into a house next year and I would like to meditate more often; I think I would benfit from having a place set aside for meditation. Does anyone have separate room or a part of a room set aside for meditation? What does it look like? What kind of routine do you have? I'm not looking to copy anyone, just ideas for my own meditation area. After all, from what I've learned from all the wisdom on here, I'm supposed to take everything with a grain of salt and decide for myself. ;)

I'm lucky enough to have a small room dedicated to meditation, but if that isn't practical then a dedicated area of a room also works well, maybe in a bedroom? A simple shrine is probably a good idea, it acts as a focal point.

Earthninja
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran
    I had a room, I even called it my Zen room :)
    The wife said I couldn't have a room for meditation only and put heaps of boxes in it :( messed up the Feng Shui(Spelling?)

I've got a corner behind the couch now. Haha.

Goenka says that having a regular spot is important, it creates a habit and a positive atmosphere. Particularly if you do metta meditations in those spots. Something to do with raising the vibrational frequency in the area.
    Meditation halls do have a feeling to them
    Nave650RuddyDuck9
  • JohnMacJohnMac Dr Scotland Veteran

In my lounge and garden...whenever the moment takes me

Earthninjammo

I meant to attach 3 pics of various places around my home I use for meditation as well as my shrines, for some reason the first picture repeated itself! Maybe admin could delete the others I can't do it...sorry....

Earthninja
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Good for you @Nave650! What you are considering is a small step towards making Buddhism your own. And it is your Buddhism alone that has meaning and impact ... the rest is eyewash.

Any space or room will do. Any paraphernalia is fine. But the act of creating a space and then keeping it neat and clean and being attentive within that space ... excellent!

Best wishes.

lobsterNave650
  • Rowan1980Rowan1980 Keeper of the Zoo Asheville, NC Veteran
    I have my meditation space in a spare room in my apartment. Alas, I can't dedicate the entire room to it, as I store weights (for strength training), an exercise ball, and shelves of books and CDs there. It works just fine, though.
    Earthninja
    edited May 2015

This is my main space on a dresser in the lounge, like you say you don't need much space

• bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran
    edited May 2015

@Walker That's so cool, I love it.

• WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

Actually, Mrs. Walker did most of it, I helped, but there's no way I could pull off something like that by myself! She's an awesome wife.

bookwormlobster

(All wives are awesome Of course.... :wink: )

WalkerlobsterBuddhadragonRuddyDuck9
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Thanks for sharing @Walker - wonderful space. <3

I have three shrines in my meditating room (do rooms meditate?) as well as kitchen Buddhas, bathroom Buddhas and even a Tara in the hall and garden Buddhas.

My shrines change a lot. Sometimes they are neglected. At the moment one in particular is getting a lot of attention. It has an apple, a glass of water, incense and two pictures on card of Buddhas (Shakyamuni and Amitabha)

WalkerBuddhadragon
  • ZenniZenni Veteran

@walker - so beautiful!!! Thanks for sharing =)

• Thanks for all the great comments everyone!!

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

We have a shelving unit in the living room and I have a shrine set up in one of the shelves. Just made up pretty with plastic flowers and withered fresh flowers. I refill two tiny bowls of water weekly and add a little jasmine fragrance I bought from an essential oil sales. A buddha statue of wood. A framed picture of my guru Lama Shenpen. A photo of the stupa of our sangha. several dharma books from the lineage and a few other things and other decorative things.

WalkerZenni