Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Talk on mindfulness by Joseph Goldstein

DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
edited May 2015 in Meditation

This is worth watching. The talk proper begins at 20:50 after a guided meditation and lasts about 40 minutes, after which there is a Q&A session.

In summary he says that:

• Mindfulness is living in the present, but it is more than that.
  • Mindfulness is developing the observing power of the mind, but it is more than that.
  • Mindfulness is also observing with skillful attitude, without the filters of craving, aversion and delusion - or at least being aware when those are present ( this corresponds roughly to the 3rd frame of reference in the Satipatthana Sutta ).
ZenniShoshinlobsterWalkerRowan1980NamadaKale4DayzJeroen

Comments

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@SpinyNorman Thank you for being so "mindful" of the needs of others :)

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Great video about the nuances of practice. This video is a great example of an experienced practitioner providing teaching for those settled in their practice.

For those of us still struggling, consider it an excellent cure for insomnia ... zzz ... ;)

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

A couple of snippets from the Q&A:

• In the moment of mindfulness emotion dissipates.
    • Mindfulness is not just recognition but acceptance.
    lobstermmo
  • WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

Thanks @SpinyNorman . I liked the anecdote about the old man in the store. I've found it's always interesting when people step out of the 'written script' of daily conversation.

• NamadaNamada Veteran
    edited May 2015

Good talk with good advices, I will now ask more frequently:

what is the attiude for the mind right now?

Then its more easier to arrest the mind when it contains filters of wanting or aversion or other negative states..

Like exepectations to be calm or recive something from what you are doing.

maybe Ive always had these filters? Not so easy to know, because there are always some wanting there

@Namada said:> maybe Ive always had these filters? Not so easy to know, because there are always some wanting there

Yes, I notice them a lot! But being fully aware of them does seem to have the effect of dissipating them, at least in the moment.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Attraction, distraction, filtering, choosing. In other words active knob fiddling of consciousness.

In meditation, we have practices that are knob based and we have listening to 'Radio Consciousness'.

The ability to be present without arising or being 'stirred not shaken' is the Buddha Bond/refuge.

For me the benefit of meditation is not the change it eventually brings but the acceptance of change.

... and now back to the Mindfull Skyfall ... B)

Zenshin
  • 0student00student0 Explorer
    Nice reference to Pessoa.
    Being in the present vs experiencing reality.
    (As I understand it).

@lobster said:> > For me the benefit of meditation is not the change it eventually brings but the acceptance of change.

Acceptance of experience does seem to be pivotal. The deeper the acceptance the less the suffering.

ZenshinlobsterWalkerShoshin