Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Attention, attention:

federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky...Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Is anyone experiencing any weird difficulties working on this site?

I believe @lobster had a couple of disappearing posts when beginning new threads.
I myself have had three PM messages I sent, go totally AWOL. Sometimes a page takes ages to open, and once I get the header and side-bar options, the main body of the thread stays missing, until I refresh the page.

Anyone else experiencing weird happenings?

If we could list some current and present issues, we could let @Linc know....

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

All is well here. No issues.

• JohnMacJohnMac Dr Scotland Veteran

All fine here, well what passes for normal!

Walker
  • nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran

A few days ago, I was unable to mark posts insightful, awesome, lol. It seems to have straightened itself out a day or two ago...

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I have not had any problems that I've noticed, neither on my computer (windows) or my phone (android).

dantepw
  • Rowan1980Rowan1980 Keeper of the Zoo Asheville, NC Veteran
    Nothing out of the ordinary here.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Well, in that case, I'm wondering if it's a UK-side communication problem?
    I'm currently waiting for a thread to download - it's actually reached a post part-way down and cut it in half, with nothing but blank white screen underneath.... :confounded:

• ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran

I'm on Plusnet in the UK and I haven't had any problems.

• KennethKenneth Veteran

@federica said:
    I'm currently waiting for a thread to download - it's actually reached a post part-way down and cut it in half, with nothing but blank white screen underneath.... :confounded:

Any chance you and @lobster have the same service provider?

No issues here in SE US, on two different ISPs

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited May 2015

Me too ...I've notice I've not been getting any "Awesomes" or "Insightfuls" ... I'm sure there're a least a couple of thousand missing from my Reactions list ..... :p:D

On a serious note no problems :)

ZenshinkarastiWalkersilver
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@federica said:

Erm...maybe we're so used to the glitches (esp where quoting someone is concerned), we think it's now normal. :(

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited May 2015
    null

The above is the result of trying to quote your o/p.

Going on for a while now which is why I have to use quotation marks when addressing a particular post.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited May 2015

Try using a different accent @federica. :p

No problems on this side of the pond.

Walkerperson
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran

No problems in FL.

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

Yes, @ourself is right on that -- the quote function is a disaster

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

@vinlyn said:
    Yes, ourself is right on that -- the quote function is a disaster

testing quote

• WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

@Jeffrey said:
    testing quote

test #2

That's weird. I didn't post a link.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

I think #does that

Oh, OK

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Now I'm getting another weird thing... Logged on this morning (Hi everyone! :D ) and am looking at recent discussions.... some threads have (for example) '6 new' and others have '4 new plural'...

...What - ?!

....Then when I write a comment, the only button not giving the option to select is the 'Post Comment'. Occasionally, all three are non-selectable, and I have to wait for them all to go 'bold' as it were....
    I got this on both 'sky' and now 'Virgin'....

I just saw 2 new plural after you posted
    The Gremlins are alive and well...

Rowan1980mmo
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran

I am having trouble paying atten- oh look, a bird! -tion, but apart from that, all good!

Walker
    edited May 2015

Now I have 2 threads trying to download... blank pages, both of them. It's been over a minute.

I wouldn't fuss so much but it's only happening on this website.

Everything else (Facebook and three other forums) is working just fine...

• lobsterlobster Veteran

@federica said:
    ....Then when I write a comment, the only button not giving the option to select is the 'Post Comment'. Occasionally, all three are non-selectable, and I have to wait for them all to go 'bold' as it were....
    I got this on both 'sky' and now 'Virgin'....

@federica I recognise many of the difficulties you mention. They have now gone. In other words they are intermittent and possibly due to our ISP which are the same.

Whenever I have problems:

1. Check other sites, especially forums
    2. Close down completely all programs and restart the computer 'have you tried turning it off and on again'
    3. Clear browser, cache, history etc
    4. Change browser
    5. Clear recently loaded programs
    6. Change computer to one running Puppy Linux or another OS
    7. Thank Kwanyin for making my computer unusable
    8. Meditate on impermenance and computer withdrawl o:)
    ZenshindantepwJeffreymmo
    edited May 2015

@lobster said:
    hWhenever I have problems:

Check other sites, especially forums
    Close down completely all programs and restart the computer 'have you tried turning it off and on again'
    Clear browser, cache, history etc
    Change browser
    Clear recently loaded programs
    Change computer to one running Puppy Linux or another OS
    Thank Kwanyin for making my computer unusable
    Meditate on impermenance and computer withdrawl o:)

1 - done (as stated, this doesn't happen on other forums).

2 - Done. No joy.

3 - Done. Again, no difference.

4 - Ditto, ditto.

5 - haven't loaded any. I'm now typing this from a Toshiba Chrome book. Had this problem on my mum's Apple MacBook laptop too...

6 I have absolutely no clue what you're talking about. Besides, I don't have the wherewithal or luxury of just being able to 'change computer'....

7 & 8 - yes, thanks for that.... :Roll eyes: ("impermanence" and computer "withdrawal"...)

dantepw
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Oh gosh ... OS = Operating System

Try the Windows OS at your library, using a phone or chromebook

Otherwise not sure what to suggest ...

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

I'm used to things not working too well on NB. ;)

• misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran

@federica said:
    Now I'm getting another weird thing... Logged on this morning (Hi everyone! :D ) and am looking at recent discussions.... some threads have (for example) '6 new' and others have '4 new plural'...

...What - ?!

i am seeing this 'new' and 'new plural' too. my guess is that those threads which we have not opened are marked with 'new', but those threads which we have opened and there are further new comments in it, those threads have the number of new comments marked with 'new plural' with it.

Yes, but I've opened all the threads. It's what I do.... :confused:

• ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran

Plural is now what is posted when there is more than one new comment.

Good grief, nobody tells me anything!!

lobsterRowan1980
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited May 2015
    Nevermind
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Everything on the index has "plural" here.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

hopefully we are not hacked by former trolls/banned

edited May 2015

I don't think its been hacked, more like a technical glitch, but.....

Have you ever wondered @Jeffrey what must go on in a person's mind for them to resort to hacking and disrupting the site ? All the misguided anger, hatred, ill will and resentment all packaged up in the desire for 'revenge' of some sort....

I'm amazed at the amount of crap some people voluntarily carry around with them day in day out....

Imagine what their life would be like if they could channel all that focussed attention/energy into something positive...

lobster
    It kind of goes without saying that 3 new posts means there is more than a singular post.

What an odd addition.

I can't quote but at least I know that if there are 10 new posts it isn't just 1.

@ourself said:
    It kind of goes without saying that 3 new posts means there is more than a singular post.

What an odd addition.

I can't quote but at least I know that if there are 10 new posts it isn't just 1.

It just seems to be a redundant comment... 10 new posts is 10 new posts... I fail to see the point of 'plural'... Maybe it's a change/improvement made to support something else going on... Until @Linc shows up, it's a mystery....

• SarahTSarahT Time ... space ... joy South Coast, UK Veteran

No UK probs here! Know that a chrome update caused all sorts of problems with various games a few weeks back but with firefox I've been fine. Hope nothing to do with your new internet @federica

• mmommo Veteran

The site used to be mobile friendly. Now it isn't anymore.

Sometime it works on first load then stop working when I hit back in browser. And the font on the index page seem to be changed for mobile devices (windows 8 phone)

• No problem here in Canada , Safari works perfect with the newbuddhist site. Both Mac and iPhone .

• LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator

I did change the spam filter recently, but that should only effect posts, not PMs, and certainly not moderators' messages which always bypass spam filters.

The "new plural" thing is likely a glitch in our server setup. We recently reworked our language handling in Vanilla which likely tripped things up for a minute.

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

^^^ Thanks @Linc,

That would explain my glitches as they were indeed responding to quite bizarre and complex usages of language and several links. As soon as the posts were simplified and the language normalised the posts went through. This was whilst editing in the provided editor, so explains my difficulties. :)

@lobster said:
    ^^^ Thanks Linc,

That would explain my glitches as they were indeed responding to quite bizarre and complex usages of language and several links. As soon as the posts were "simplified" and the language "normalised" the posts went through. This was whilst editing in the provided editor, so explains my difficulties. :)

And that's a first coming from @lobster :D

WalkerRowan1980lobster
    edited June 2015
    null

"The quote had to be converted from Markdown to TextEx. Some formatting may have been lost."

Weird because I just came to this thread to say I was able to quote in a different thread.

Oh well... There are better things to itch about but I figured I'd just pipe up and say the problem still exists.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2015

@ourself said:> "The quote had to be converted from Markdown to TextEx. Some formatting may have been lost."

Yes, I get that one. I have no idea what it means so I ignore it. Not a good approach to spiritual practice but it's a way of coping with computers. ;)

• LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator

@ourself said:
    "The quote had to be converted from Markdown to TextEx. Some formatting may have been lost."

An interesting side effect of mobile vs desktop settings. I've fixed it so this will happen less and less frequently (new posts from now on will all be Markdown regardless of mobile or not).

ZenshinDavid
  • nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran

All of my PMs have vanished. When I click on my Inbox, I get a blank page. If I click on the envelope icon next to my name, I get "There was an error processing your request. Please try again."