Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism and Music #2

federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky...Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
edited June 2015 in Arts & Writings
This discussion was created from comments split from: Buddhism and music?.

Threads older than a year usually have none of the original participants still present as active members.
New threads are better, with a link-reference to the old topic.

Thanks!! :)

Comments

• Thank you for posting (although old post) the important question/responses on whether you can listen to rock music or other genres of music as a Buddhist. I have been wondering this myself as I have recently started following Buddha's teachings. If the music does not affect me negatively (or make me angry as some would say), it does matter so much what the lyrics may be, then I feel it is alright to continue to listen to what I like. I love music and could not imagine not listening, to what I consider very talented musicians. Thanks so much!

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

I would ask what is the message of music. Does it follow "right speech" (etc.). If it does, then I would say enjoy it, just don't become obsessed with it (don't become, for example, a Belieber).

federicaShoshinWalkerlobster
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

If it brings one a form of 'temporary' comfort and or relief, go for it, I really can't see any problem, and if it does the opposite... (upsets you in some way)...why listen to it in the first place ?

Everything in moderation (Even head banging music ) :D

• KennethKenneth Veteran
    edited June 2015

I've spent part of the afternoon paying bills and dealing with various administravia. I meditated right before I started as I experience great aversion to paperwork on the weekend after dealing with it all week in the office and I really need the centering and focus to be productive. Jefferson Airplane's "After Bathing At Baxter's" just finished in the CD Player. Not very Buddhist, but I'm really not listening to the lyrics for any sort of meaning. I just like the music.

Music is just media, like TV, books and movies. I don't feel any need to self- sensor, except to the extent that the media consumption effects my ability to be mindful. I think @vinlyn's advice is pretty good - just don't obsess.

edited June 2015

"Buddhism & Music" Sakyong Mipham Rinpoche What about me A blissful & insightful combination ...

• WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2015

I like a wide variety of music. And you'd be surprised how often you'll come across lyrics in Popular/Rock music that contain elements of Buddhism or make you think about elements of Buddhism.

Try to be mindful about what you're listening to, and the meaning behind it instead of just using it as background noise.

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@Walker said:
    I like a wide variety of music. And you'd be surprised how often you'll come across lyrics in Popular/Rock music that contain elements of Buddhism or make you think about elements of Buddhism.

Try to be mindful about what you're listening to, and the meaning behind it instead of just using it as background noise.

Yes, true...me and a bud on another forum discovered a couple: How 'bout Jethro Tull's song, Skating Away and Sly and the Family Stone's Stand?

Walker
  • PöljäPöljä Veteran

From classic music to sweet pop songs and music with an "anarchist" attitude. They all do. They all reflect this world and life.

Shoshin
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

There are some songs that have lyrics and phrases that stand out as being uniquely 'Buddhist' or non-dual philosophy. That's what I was trying to say.

Everything is beautiful ....(in its own way)

silver
  • robotrobot Veteran

Ron sexsmith is one of my favourite songwriters. He sings about the pain and joy of life and love like few other performers can. I don't know if he is Buddhist or religious at all.

• robotrobot Veteran

Just one more. I promise. Here Ron sings about sexual misconduct.

• As @Pöljä said, music tends to reflect what's going on in society, in the world and in the artist's mind. Among other things, I find music is a great way to empathize with each other. And, for me, listening to music is one of the most pleasurable things to do. I could never 'give up' on listening to my favorite music.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

I have to admit that I am a complete sucker for music I like ... to be drowned in delight ... like swimming without the swimmer. If this means I am destined for some hell-realm of error, well, I am willing to pay the price. No moderation for me ... not least because there is no moderator.

My experience has been that often the best way 'out' is 'in.'

silver

Yeah, @genkaku -- you n Hitler can go to _ _ _ _! Oh, I mean Hell! :mrgreen:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2007/aug/07/hiltersrecordcollectionexpl

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

@silver -- I particularly liked the tongue-in-cheek line,

Listen to the overture to Rienzi and you do, indeed, have an irresistible desire to invade Poland.

silver
  • PöljäPöljä Veteran

Maybe this one has something to do with Buddhism.

Anyways, nice memories from the 80's :)

Rowan1980

As far as I'm concerned, everything - absolutely everything is about Buddhism.

Love 80's music...and disco too! B)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
  • WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

Really enjoyed that @federica. Loved the combination of violin, cello and mandolin. =)

There's some Irish blood in my veins too. <3

• nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran

Actually, that raises a question. If I'm not mistaken, the Vinaya prohibits monks from listening to music. Why is this? Should we householders likewise refrain from listening to music?

• bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@nakazcid said:
    Actually, that raises a question. If I'm not mistaken, the Vinaya prohibits monks from listening to music. Why is this? Should we householders likewise refrain from listening to music?

In those days, there was no TV, no internet, no mobile phones, so pretty much the only form of entertainment was provided by shows, poetic recitations, performances, dancers, and musicians.... all of which were sensual distractions likely to arouse occasional unskilful pleasure and excitement....
    (If you look at 'Bollywood' films, there is still an amazing amount of singing, dancing and IMPLIED sexuality.... India still conveys a lot of risky stuff through a socially-acceptable medium of musical performance.... even Slumdog Millionaire ended on a party!)

Now, we have computers, the internet, mobile phones and youtube, so I would hazard a guess that these - TOGETHER with all the rest - would be included in the precept....

• PöljäPöljä Veteran

The Cure's Disintegration has been, and still is somehow :) quite close to the "perfection".

anatamanInvincible_summer

The Velvet Underground - I'm Set Free B)

Time by Pink Floyd

Walker
  • Rock musician Brian May, lead guitarist for Queen, is a Buddhist (and vegetarian). He's written some pretty intense, emotional music. One of my favorites, a commentary on organized religion's culture and teachings, is called The Prophet's Song.

• Jazz musician Herbie Hancock, one of my major influences, is Buddhist.

As a musician myself, I was drawn to Buddhism as I discovered many of the people I admire are Buddhist. I wondered what it was that gave these people such insight into the human experience.

When the Beatles split up I was still hungry for all things Beatle so I was ready to embrace the messages in George Harrison's songs from the album "All Things Must Pass." When I listen to those songs now from a Buddhist perspective I realize how powerful the effect of music can be on a person.

lobster
  • inyoinyo Explorer
    edited February 2016

I have the most ridiculous music crush on this lady. Mireille Mathieu will always have my heart (I know she's like 69 now). Her voice and the way she carries herself...she's the essence of beauty with such confidence. I am so in love with French music.