Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Tiger Woods and Karma

vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

Worst score of his career:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2488111-tiger-woods-at-memorial-tournament-2015-saturday-leaderboard-score-reaction?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

In my view he did it to himself with his terribly inflated ego and ignoring Buddhist Precepts. To me, especially since it fits the Karma-as-emotional view of Karma, it's classic Karma.

Thoughts?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Lets just say I think he's paying too much attention to the attachments, without plugging in the vaccuum cleaner and sucking up his dirty work....

vinlyn
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

With so much insistence from his father, I sort of see him as being similar to the offspring of a devoted minister ... gotta test waters that are not so divine.

Rowan1980
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

He does not learn from his lessons and continues to harm people with his choices. Supposedly, his latest relationship ended recently after he cheated again. For many pro sports people, their sports are every bit as much a distraction from their problems as drugs are for other people.

Zenshin
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

@karasti said:
    He does not learn from his lessons and continues to harm people with his choices. Supposedly, his latest relationship ended recently after he cheated again. For many pro sports people, their sports are every bit as much a distraction from their problems as drugs are for other people.

Good observation.

As a golf fan, it wasn't the cheating that bothered me so much as it was being such a fake. Kinda goes along with what I feel about politicians -- it's often not so much the initial act that bothers many Americans, as it is the coverup.

Here's what crossed the line for me.

Here's a man who hired a professional photographer to take "family photos" for online publication. The photos intentionally projected that Tiger was a wonderfully loving father and husband. And they came out just shortly before the shit hit the fan blowing that whole fake persona.

Frankly, it's rare that I see pro sports players or even movie stars going to that extent to project a family image.

Sure, most of us try to project our best side to others and hide our darker sides. But he was doing it to the extreme for one purpose -- his $600,000,000 net worth.

I think you make a good point, @Karasti, about the pressures of fame, but in a sense, that gets right back to the karma issue. On the way up, stars (whether sports or Hollywood types) cultivate it -- they're publicity hogs. And then when get to that point where they don't need the constant photographers and press, they think they can simply flip a switch and not get followed everywhere by the paparazzi, etc. And that's when I think karma jumps in...because at a very, very basic level I see karma as that old saying, "You made your bed, now lay in it." We've seen it with stars from Tom Cruise to Chris Brown, who, after they cultivate the star-making media for years, then get their real stories plastered all over the print and digital medias.

I just shook my head the other day over the Dennis Hastert situation, when he had the audacity to say, "I'm a victim here, too." I wished I could have shaken him by the shoulders and said, "You're just living your karma!"

silverWalkerkarasti
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    edited June 2015

@vinlyn said:
    ...I wished I could have shaken him by the shoulders and said, "You're just living your karma!"

If there is interconnectedness then we're travelling on the journey together? Challenging to see where one karma ends and another begins.
    I say this as I see equal culpability resting with a society whose constituents and mechanisms promote such avenues to exploit.

CinorjerRowan1980
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited June 2015

Looks like he had a bad day at the office.

I'm not sure how I'd react to the kind of pressure and temptation this sort of life dumps on a person when I was younger, but from past experience probably not very well. For someone like Tiger Woods, his entire life has become his job. If my boss wants to mess around on his wife and they end up in divorce court, nobody cares as long as he shows up and does his job. That's not the same world Tiger Woods lives in, is it?

But if being one of the best means always playing as good as the last time, or better? Or that movie needs to be successful like the last one, or people will immediately start talking about how your career is over? What amazes me is that younger people in that position aren't even more screwed up in their lives than they are. When you hear interviews from the stars who seem to have it together, there is usually someone like parents they care about and are close to, to help keep them grounded.

WalkerRowan1980Vastmind
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Yeah, Tiger, join the club.....

Tiger had another very bad day at the tournament yesterday, although not quite as bad. In one story covering it, they had a pic of Tiger without his hat. All I could think of was -- old man. Of course, that happens to all of us, or for some of us, has already happened. But I imagine it is tough on him.

Cinorjer
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Chris Kluwe talked about this in his book a bit, it was a good read. He said something about how horrific that sort of entertainment industry is for society and the distraction it causes, and that he wishes for nothing more than society to find something worth spending their time on and put him (he played in NFL at the time) out of a job. Of course, he doesn't have a job now regardless, lol, but I think he'd make a great tv show host!

CinorjerRowan1980Vastmind
  • Rowan1980Rowan1980 Keeper of the Zoo Asheville, NC Veteran

Chris' Twitter is pretty amazing. He's very insightful and nerdy. :pleased:

karastiVastmind