Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Attachment and weight loss

I was reading an article on attachment. The author defined attachment as "giving them (things or people) unrealistic attributes, perceiving them as being able to give us everlasting happiness and seeing them as unchanging forms".

http://thubtenchodron.org/2007/08/wisdom-satisfaction/

I'm trying to discover what I'm attached to so I can renounce them. I know that I'm attached to my friends and family. I also believe that having good relationships with people will make me happy. Furthermore, I've always believed that having a high paying career will make me happy, so that's an attachment, I think.

I don't know whether I crave having a nice body. I believe that losing weight will make me happy. Or rather, I believe that losing weight is necessary for happiness. Does that mean I'm attached to the idea of having a good body? I read that it's also possible to be attached to ideas.

Thanks.

Comments

• lobsterlobster Veteran

@FairyFeller said:

When I tried to lose the last 14 pounds by starting to run I knackered my ankle and four months on I'm still in a brace and hobbling around, that'll try and teach me to be a good example.

Well done on losing 45 pounds. I took up running, Had to hobble for a while. Mobility back again.

Paradoxically we need to attach to the path of non attachment. <3

Zenshin
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

You can still do what we love, as katasti said!
    If losing weight is a goal, go for it! :) but there is no happiness hidden in weight loss :) happiness is already in us. We just like to put conditions on it.
    I'll only be happy when... Why not now!

Being ok with the present moment is happiness. :)

BuddhadragonTelly03possibilities
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Once you lose weight, @followthepath, what else will make you happy?
    Man is a goal-defining animal. Attain one goal, you need to create another.
    It never ends.
    Contentment is the greatest treasure.

EarthninjaadeleTelly03
  • Thanks everyone! I now understand it's the mindset I have about losing weight, not necessarily the weight loss itself.

Earthninja
  • adeleadele Blackpool Rocks! Explorer

I am attached to mementos of good times and over the last few years I have left a lot in storage with other people. A big part of me wants to go and collect them but I've decided that I want to try to break the attachment to them so I am deliberately leaving them where they are until I am asked to take them back. I am also trying to put silly things that I feel some attachment to in one room then after a time if I haven't used them to get rid of them.

lobster