Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How simple

All spiritual paths go inward - eventually. The Buddhists with their emblem - man sitting quietly - have developed this Calm Abiding, Mahamudra, Dzogchen, Shikantaza, Open Awareness etc to a multi-faceted pragmatic approach.

Forget the words, the cleverness go inward. How?
How simple can it be?
http://learning.tergar.org/2015/05/04/radiance-interview-with-myoshin-kelley/

Comments

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

I like watching waves breaking.

lobster
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

@SpinyNorman said:
    I like watching waves breaking.

I try to get outside and watch "Poultry TV" as often as weather and time permits. I have a step stool (which I use outside more than in the house) that I sit on in the yard and watch my feathered critters go about their day.

We are surrounded on three sides with thick marsh and the sort of vegetation that grows abundantly there now that it is almost summer. So along with my domestic critters, I have a pair of doves, a murder of crows, and flocks and flocks of black birds and starlings that clean up the spilled poultry feed. Oh, and TWO (this year) pairs of wild mallards. I only see the males cuz the ladies are sitting on nests somewhere out in the marsh.

It is an effortless way to dump the "I".

silverWalkerlobsterShoshin
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran
    edited June 2015

I noticed just this morning while driving home from errands that I was actually interested in the activities of the crows at the side of the road: One had a long straw in his mouth, the other two were standing near a small bit of water. I noticed because so much of the time, I just notice them in passing. On my way up the steps to the library earlier, I noticed some sort of insect on his back, not seeming to be able to right himself and fly away -- I stopped for a moment -- not being a bug doc, I just let him to sort it out for himself. I also took special notice of this big tree to the left of the steps -- it now had foliage and a few red flowers -- thinking of snapping a picture of it next time.
    =)

lobster
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited June 2015

Me thinks, inwards and outwards are just more manipulations of the dream.

@how -- Spot on.

On the other hand, let's not mention it ... someone may be gullible enough to send money.

lobsterEarthninja
  • WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

Birds are always fascinating to watch. We have some coconut fibre lined flower planters. The robin couple that is nesting in our tree have found the coconut fibre to be an excellent nest-building material!

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Thanks everyone, always glad to hear about the birds.

Inward = outward. The alchemists say as above so below. Your experience is your being. Don't send money, ;) by all means find meditation interviewer a bit - what is the word? Ultra spiritual?

Sit gently, pay attention. You need a name, a book, an interview?

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Inside? Outside? Is there such thing? Are they really two different concepts?

Shoshin
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited June 2015

Is there a middle way between outside and inside?

I like watching and being mindful of nature but I also like paradoxical riddles.

Earthninja
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@ourself said:
    Is there a middle way between outside and inside?

...Front door....?

I like watching and being mindful of nature but I also like paradoxical riddles.

Sometimes 'riddle me up!" can simply lead to just more mind-knots.....

DavidEarthninja
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

It's not the spoon that bends, it's you that bends - the matrix

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Walker said:> Birds are always fascinating to watch. We have some coconut fibre lined flower planters. The robin couple that is nesting in our tree have found the coconut fibre to be an excellent nest-building material!

Mu neighbour has a pet seagull called "Archie". Sometimes he stands on one leg. We have some nice chats. ;)

Walkerlobstersilver
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Thus I have heard it said that Bodhidharma once said:

"The most essential method which includes all other methods is to behold the mind-The mind is the root from which all things grow-If you can understand the mind-Everything else is included !"

I took up mind reading as a hobby (my own mind that is) now I'm hooked and can't stop reading it, in fact I take it with me wherever I go, it's like a good novel a psychological thriller that grips you and you can't put down... And so far so good......I haven't lost the plot (Well not that "I" know of ) :)

BuddhadragonWalker
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@Shoshin said:
    Thus I have heard it said that Bodhidharma once said:

"The most essential method which includes all other methods is to behold the mind-The mind is the root from which all things grow-If you can understand the mind-Everything else is included!"

I love this quote by Bodhidharma, @Shoshin.
    I am not on conversational terms with birds, though.

But my long walking meditations in the nature are grating the city-slicker crust and I'm talking to the bushes, the lavenders, the corn.... in an evolutionary scale, chatting to birds could happen any time next.

Reading my mind? No, it's totally empty when I walk.
    No monkey chatter, no book to read, no storyline there.
    I am so loving my walks...
    I am waxing zen....

lobsterVastmindShoshin
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@SpinyNorman said:
    Mu neighbour has a pet seagull called "Archie". Sometimes he stands on one leg. We have some nice chats. ;)

You are lucky, if I started chatting to my neighbours leg, they would lock me up. O.o

Here is something to bring casually into the conversation ...
    http://seedmagazine.com/content/article/buddhism_and_the_brain/
    May all seagulls benefit.