Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Metr AI - Next Buddha?

lobsterlobster Veteran
edited June 2015 in Buddhism Today

YinYana the deviant and highly dubious dharma vehicle that I was thrown out of (rightly so) believe the next Buddha the Metta RAY or some such fish (Maitreya) will be an AI.

Seems they are not the only ones ...
http://ieet.org/index.php/IEET/more/nanderson20150617

Will this happen? Do you plan on being reborn in the cloud?

OM YA HA HUM (oops old mantras just slip out)

Comments

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2015

With Buddhas being as plentiful as sentient entities, only the misguided search for Maitreya outside of their own heart/mind.

EarthninjalobsterCinorjer
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

An Ai being a buddha is no problem, when you know a flower and a rock are buddha's in their own right. Just seems right that if it's gonna happen as you say that an apple AI is right for western buddhists, as opposed to a microsoft Window explorer browsing the world...

but knowing that computer generated linear algorithms are nowhere near the conscious similitude I would expect of the dimmest human I know, I won't really worry about MettaRay' s appearance

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

the internet is sentient! we are little blood cells doing our organic tasks for the hive/economy/internet

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

No it is not sentient as you or I am - I asked Siri, and he could not help me... just suggested things I might be interested in on google and wikipedia

Earthninja
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran

AI will happen, and the the robots will kill us all ...

I'm only half-joking.

Seriously though, when AI does happen (which, given recent advances in machine learning, seems to be a very real possibility), some heavy stuff will be going down. Will an AI be ethical? Could it be compassionate? Its main incentives will be power (electrical), but is there a risk it will crave more?

Scary stuff.

Earthninja
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

They say our minds conditioning works in almost a robotic way. From a baby until now we can see how our societies, cultures, language etc had shaped our perception of our world.
    Don't see why AI couldn't do the same...

Pöljä
  • PöljäPöljä Veteran
    edited June 2015

If AI will be ethical, it will somehow reduce overpopulations. (There are human ethics of different cultures and times.)

And because AI is so intelligent, it will find a solution people's mind can't imagine yet :)

• lobsterlobster Veteran

@how said:
    With Buddhas being as plentiful as sentient entities, only the misguided search for Maitreya outside of their own heart/mind.

I think you might fail the Turing test :p
    Too wikid?

anataman
  • @lobster said:
    YinYana the deviant and highly dubious dharma vehicle that I was thrown out of (rightly so) believe the next Buddha the Metta RAY or some such fish (Maitreya) will be an AI.

Seems they are not the only ones ...
    http://ieet.org/index.php/IEET/more/nanderson20150617

Will this happen? Do you plan on being reborn in the cloud?

OM YA HA HUM (oops old mantras just slip out)

Why did you get thrown out?? This sounds interesting.

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited June 2015

^^^ I threw myself out for starting it.

A well-balanced person is one who finds both sides of an issue laughable — Herbert Procknow

Maybe I just need a robo dog and be Japanese to start ...
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/18/technology/robotica-sony-aibo-robotic-dog-mortality.html

anataman
  • bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran

No way to know for sure, I don't plan on sticking around in samsara long enough for the next Buddha to arise in the world to find out.