Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

CONTEMPLATION

anatamananataman Who needs a title?Where am I? Veteran

Something to think about, or meditate upon!

Comments

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited March 2015

Somewhere between.

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

A question, maybe?

• howhow Veteran Veteran

Allowing the meditative mind out of conditionings sandbox.

• Some.......thing...... to...... think....... a......bout,..... or .............me..........di........tate...... u.................pon!.....................................................

anataman
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

I missed this response - HOW?

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

I associate contemplation with thinking deeply about something. Not the same as meditation.

lobsterTelly03
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Well said @SpinyNorman the digestion of our relationship with meditation allows us to be contemplative.

This is where concentration and meditation can lead to contemplation of other aspects of the eightfold path.

The Middle Way paradoxically folds in on itself whilst still widening to encompas the breadth but not the muddle of our monkeying.

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Personally I see contemplation as conventional thinking but with a purpose in mind (to think deeply about something) whereas meditation being an altered state of awareness, detached from ones thoughts...

Contemplation is when ones conventional awareness locks onto a certain thought pattern...and puts the brakes on monkey mind's attempt to just think for the sake of thinking

But then how would "I" know....After all I'm just a thought who thinks I am thinking I am just a thought ....

Some food for thought to 'ponder' :)

illusion
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@Shoshin said:
    whereas meditation being an altered state of awareness, detached from ones thoughts...

I must be doing it wrong ... not for me it ain't ...

Nuffink like a bit of detachment. ;)

@lobster said:

Please explain...

rootssilverKundo

@lobster

'Detached' from ones thoughts that is to say not locked in and dragged along by them "Teflon coated mind"...(Well this is personal experience I can't really speak for others and their experiences) Thoughts come and go just like feelings & sensations etc, moment to moment...(with no stories 'attached' )...

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Altered states of mind belong to yoga, trance, attachments, subtle arisings etc etc

Meditation is not for me a thing I enter and leave. My body is still, that is all.
    This is the method, when above the boiling or in the boiling - just lobster.
    http://www.shikantaza.com

ShoshinEarthninja
    edited June 2015

@lobster said:
    Altered states of mind belong to yoga, trance, attachments, subtle arisings etc etc

Meditation is not for me a thing I enter and leave. My body is still, that is all.
    This is the method, when above the boiling or in the boiling - just lobster.
    http://www.shikantaza.com

Altered state of 'awareness' that is to see things in a different light as opposed to monkey mind mentality...

Since stumbling upon the path (this altered state of awareness) it is hard to 'snap out of it' (not that there's any 'desire' to do so )

@lobster said:> Altered states of mind belong to yoga, trance, attachments, subtle arisings etc etc

And samadhi of course. ;)

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

^^^ does Samadhi come after Vendredhi in French dharma? :mrgreen:

federicaKundo
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Excellent! :D

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited June 2015

Since stumbling upon the path (this altered state of awareness) it is hard to 'snap out of it' (not that there's any 'desire' to do so )

Understood. In Buddhist terms you are describing the god realm.
    http://buddhism.about.com/od/basicbuddhistteachings/tp/Six-Realms-of-Existence.htm
    There is a saying about loving sufficiently to let go. However the time and choice is open and must come naturally. As far as I am aware the best advice is, 'increase in Love'. :)

edited June 2015

@lobster said:

An atheist Buddhist describing the 'god' realm, now that's a real turn up for the books... Well thank god it's not a permanent place of abode, just temporary accommodation :grin: (mind you one could grow accustom to the lifestyle )

• lobsterlobster Veteran

The 'god realm' describes an internal condition. A recognizable part of the path. If you want to make it about imiginary goblins than that is your choice ...

@lobster said:
    The 'god realm' describes an internal condition. A recognizable part of the path. If you want to make it about imiginary goblins than that is your choice ...

All describe internal conditions of sorts @lobster ...But I do like the idea of imaginary goblins....Where can I get some..... :)

I can supply imaginary goblins at a very competitive price. No post and packing required! ;)

Shoshinlobster
  • @Shoshin said:

As far as I have understand all the realms are actual places of rebirth. In the human realm we can see and experience all aspects, hence why the human birth is the most precious, but i've no reason to doubt that a hell realm with awful conditions could exist, I mean, look at this world, people experience hellish things right here, right now, so its certainly possible.

Shoshin
  • As an aside... If you read the thread 'Super Rich Kid' then it almost sounds like the demigod realm.

@mindatrisk rebirth is reoccurring moment to moment....the universe (of which we are part of) is a constant state of flux...

We experience many things in life, dukkha happens, happiness like sadness is also impermanent...

And thus I have heard it said that the Buddha once said ‘Sabbe dhamma nalam abhinivesaya’ (Nothing whatsoever should be clung to) if one clings one suffers, it's as simple as that (which does not necessarily mean it an easy thing to do, but a simple truth all the same).....

• @Shoshin said:
    mindatrisk rebirth is reoccurring moment to moment....the universe (of which we are part of) is a constant state of flux...

We experience many things in life, dukkha happens, happiness like sadness is also impermanent...

And thus I have heard it said that the Buddha once said ‘Sabbe dhamma nalam abhinivesaya’ (Nothing whatsoever should be clung to) if one clings one suffers, it's as simple as that (which does not necessarily mean it an easy thing to do, but a simple truth all the same).....

I agree completely, but there are many Buddhist traditions that teach literally about a life after this one and various realms we can be born into. :)

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@anataman said:
    Something to think about, or meditate upon!

:anguished:

Aces, dude! :unamused:

@mindatrisk said:
    I agree completely, but there are many Buddhist traditions that teach literally about a life after this one and various realms we can be born into. :)

But even then all are impermanent and all states of the 'mind'

"The most essential method which includes all other methods is to behold the mind-The mind is the root from which all things grow-If you can understand the mind-Everything else is included!"

Bodhidharma

• Agreed. :)