Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

the 'perfect' way

genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Ultimate...
Perfect...
Unexcelled...
Pure...
True...
Incalculable...
Indubitable...
Real...
Unalloyed...
Fully enlightened...

To what extent do such words and others like them play a role in your practice?

Are they more help or hindrance?

I am too old and creaky to have a useful opinion.

Earthninja

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Me too.

lobster
  • ajhayesajhayes Pema Jinpa Dorje Northern Michigan Veteran

For me, words that imply flawlessness are not useful. I prefer to "do my best" rather than to be perfect.

lobster
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited June 2015

Damn...4 of those words I've never seen before, let alone use them...hahahaha

I use the word 'true' when I agree with someone...thats about it.

I'm on "no such thing as perfect" team.

• Telly03Telly03 Veteran

language creates our vision of the world, and often has more impact than we realize. Reminds me of an Allan Watts lecture, "The Limits of Language" that I had enjoyed.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

It would really depend on the context for me I guess.

The last one seems a bit off-putting to me though. I'd have to suspend my disbelief for that because it implies there is no more to learn. Fully awakened seems to work better because it leaves room for unfolding.

• PöljäPöljä Veteran

Strong methaphors, words, opinions, feelings, colours, odours, tastes... Not so bad if they really suit on the context and entirety, and they might have be given more or less seriously.

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Well...I'm thinking that dear ol' @genkaku had Something in mind when he started this thread; that's the mystery. We writer types and writer wanna-be's can't just throw words away now, can we.
    ;)

lobster
  • I think that language is to reality what a map is to scenery.

anatamanEarthninjalobster
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

@genkaku
    These are only ideas represented by words.
    Although I can't remember the last time an idea had much relevance to my meditation, they're welcome to stop by for a visit anytime they wish.

lobster
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

These are only ideas represented by words.

@how -- Have you ever felt the sometimes-blazing fires of disagreement when such glowing words are questioned. Eg. "Gautama was fully enlightened" is taken as a premise rather than a discovery and woe betide the person who asks, "How do you know that?"
    Or perhaps the sutras are "authentic."
    Or ... well, pick your verbiage and supposition.

I'm not saying that such ideas can't bear good fruit. I am just feeling cautious about the bitter fruit they can bear.

lobster
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

If I read them in scripture it depends on the author and context. If some words don't bring me to the right point then I have to find my own words.

• EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

@mindatrisk you nailed it.

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited June 2015

If we say the Buddhas are enheavied rather than enlightened people will as you say, question the meaning. They may for example examine the concept of responsibility and compassion as a lightening burden.

They may prefer the convential term of losing the wait [sic]. The english language does not work like Arabic or Hebrew that can have multiple meanings dependent on vowels. English has its own strenghts and conventions.

Ideally words convey potential rather than specifics. For example if they have meaning, this can refer to mean:

• as in statistics, the Middle Way
    • as in to make one frugal - mean
    • as in meaning only meaning, whatever that means ...

So words can drive us to examine, ignore, contemplate or gibber. Right speech is the outcome of right hearing.

@genkaku is a more skilled wordsmith than me, so the direction is open to suggestion ...

I enclose a picture of some words hanging in an art gallery just for fun ...

• howhow Veteran Veteran

@genkaku said:
    I'm not saying that such ideas can't bear good fruit. I am just feeling cautious about the bitter fruit they can bear.

ditto!

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@how said:
    ditto!

LOL. LOGOS. Speaking in tongues?

In the beginning was the word etc

... Gosh, we are back to bitter sweet seeds and fruit ...

• In my practice, I prefer simple and even crude words to these abstract wise-ish words.

For instance, we all understand what sht is. But unalloyed? What the hell is that? Can anyone show me unalloyed? No? Then I'm not taking that prudish sht!

lobstersilver
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited June 2015

^^^ I could post you pristine, unalloyed shit but that serves no purpose. B)

@ajhayes said:
    For me, words that imply flawlessness are not useful. I prefer to "do my best" rather than to be perfect.

Yes, that includes civility and right speech as a choice on the most banal level. A little while ago I posted a picture of the Buddha with a pseudo-Buddha quote. The words, supposedly from the Buddha, read 'Don't be a C*nt'.

The moderators, rightly so, removed the picture.

It was in context, funny, shocking and meaningful good advice and its power was in the deeply offensive use of words. To do something like that is risky and might be flippant bad taste or in a sense the summation of Buddha Dharma.

Words can be hurtful and awakening. They can be trite and unskilful. They can be at their very best unalloyed wisdom, if we learn to hear and contemplate the meaning behind the meaning.

In the words of the buddha: ... but you already know what I am going to say ... :)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Well-put. @lobster.

@shadowleaver , take it as read, you can use any words you want. Truly, you can.
    In whatever circumstances.
    But, whether your posts, or even you, remain, after that, is up to Moderation. ;)

silvershadowleaver
  • shadowleavershadowleaver Veteran
    edited June 2015

And that is the supreme, unsurpassed truth, @federica .

Well.... I wouldn't put it like that, but.....pretty close, yeah..... :D