Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Pull the weeds out at the root

To kill weeds one must dig out the roots. If one leaves any of the root in the ground they may sprout up again. Life is the same. Go to the root of the perceived problem and deal with it directly from there.

The root is deep within consciousness. The problem is never outside of ourselves. Any event is perceived as a problem because we are unable to accept it. We are unable to accept so we suffer It effects.

Acceptance is always mental. It does not mean do not respond to the situation appropriately or compassionately. We respond as needed but internally; mentally there is only even mindedness.

If a building is a blazing inferno we do not stand around watching people die. We respond appropriately. Our response in such a case is one of urgency but internally there is only equanimity.

It is our own attitude which defines certain events as problems. Although events May be in opposition to current laws, rules, policies or beliefs; that does not make them a problem for us internally. We obey the laws of society of course, but Our attitude is one of acceptance. Whatever has occurred is just an occurrence which we have defined as good, bad, right, wrong, acceptable or unacceptable. Which is all based on society, individual cultures, beliefs, knowledge and experience.

The contents of our minds and the ways it concocts is the cause of our judgment that what has occurred is a problem.

The situation may oppose accepted standards but the idea it is a problem always comes from within. Then we suffer from our mind's concoctions.

lobsterEarthninjaShoshinpegembaramisecmisc1Cinorjermmo

Comments

• EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

@Tony_A_Simien I'm under no illusion we are both searching for the same thing. :) you have found a practice that bares fruit and I've found a practice that does the same.
    Everybody is unique and has different conditions on them, what works for some is not the same for others like you said.

I do understand where you are coming from, I really like your posts. I've found the root of my problems but ironically the problem is "me" Hahaha.

You are on a path of refining consciousness to a subtle level it seems, me I'm on a path of scrutinising the one with the "problems"

Great posts mate, let's de root this tree of delusion!

Tony_A_SimienCinorjer
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran

@Tony_A_Simien said:

We must continuously cut them off until they are no more. However one wishes to do this is completely up to you. It all depends on one's nature, character, personality and such. And as far as one's success at subduing or eliminating them; we each have different conditions within us. What I say to you aren't just words, it is my direct knowing from living it. Which may also be the case with many of you. So you understand where I'm coming from.

So what practise do you do? Could you explain how you go about it. Hands on like?

/Victor

• sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran

@Pöljä said:

Brilliant!

Where's that giant magic paintbrush...

• rootsroots Veteran

I concur, if on a blurry conceptual level at this point.

The sources of my suffering have always been traceable to traumatic events. I have found that all of my suffering exists in thought patterns, these patterns are cyclical, and they can be 'let go' (or lawn mowed) through inquiry.

When I get angry my mind is prompting me to do something about my pain. Anger is just a message, and sadness is my pathway to the "root" of my pattern (weed).

Through reflection I can discover the original event that created my suffering, or at least communicate with my emotions to discover my pain in its rawest form. From there I can challenge my beliefs affiliated with the pattern, and offer new perspective on the subject.

I can bring enlightenment to the parts of me that are suffering - help them realise that the perception they are holding onto no longer serves a purpose, and that it is time to let it go.

All this mind-chatter of the monkey mind may not be random. If it's residual of experience, - patterns of the victim/controller/judge (etc.), I wonder if I can 'reprogram' my brain through continued reflection and mindfulness. My teacher says I can live in a state of perpetual bliss if I choose to get there. I wonder if this is a way.

lobsterTony_A_SimienCinorjer
  • Tony_A_SimienTony_A_Simien Veteran
    edited June 2015

@Victorious said:

So what practise do you do? Could you explain how you go about it. Hands on like?

Sure, here's a repost from another thread.

@Tony_A_Simien said:
    To All

Why do you all discontinue mantra recitation for even a single moment? Mantra recitation is the most effective when done continuously. Mantra recitation or Japa alone is a complete practice which leads to the natural state. It is as effective as seated meditation. As a matter of fact with some individuals more effective. And quickens our tread on the pathless path.

At all times, in all positions, whether one is eating, bathing, cooking, cleaning, performing any household duty or working a regular job. Recitation must continue at all times.

The most effective of course is silent recitation. Mentally reciting one's mantra at all times. We can recite aloud in the beginning, to create a mental 'reverb' in the mind. This makes It easier to recite mentally because we have heard the actual sounds. One will forget many, many, many times. But when we remember we begin again. There is no right or wrong way. Whatever method suits ones nature. Fast or slow; do it in the form of a rhyme ; turn it into a song; whichever way is enjoyed by mind. Experiment to see what works best for you. If mind does not enjoy it, chances are it may not work for you. It's far better to give mind something it enjoys (but doesn't create extraneous proliferating emotions or thoughts which causes wandering) instead of forcing it to perform.

The function of mantra recitation is to have our attention continuously engaged in order to subdue the wandering mind. To lessen minds proliferating of fragmented emotions and thoughts. We do mantra recitation to expand that gap that we normally experience between thoughts. I'm sorry to say, this will not happen by reciting only a few times a day.

Om muni muni maha muni shakyamuni soha!
    Om ah hung vajra guru peme siddhi hung
    Who am I? This was my first. It was based on my misinterpretation of Sri Ramana Maharshi's Self Enquiry teachings. I have had many. Some I made up myself.

The point is to keep ones attention engaged at all times so that the mind does not proliferate. So we wouldn't choose a word or phrase that would create more thoughts Or emotions. Or At least emotions which are not related to the recitation. Reciting with emotion and devotion is the most powerful type. Because our strong emotionally response to the word or idea keeps our attention firmly engaged. It is possible to continue with one's normal activities while maintaining the recitation in the background. It simply takes dedication.

Whenever one remembers please recite. We all in the beginning forget tens of thousands of times; before our practice becomes stable. I used to leave notes in my pockets; messages on my phone; single words written on the palm of my hands so that I would always remember. I even had little notes in my wallet with the cash. I had reminders scattered everywhere to force myself to remember. Then there came a time when I needed no more reminders. It flowed naturally. It even happened in sleep. I'm sleeping and dreaming while consciously reciting my mantra. And watching my breath at the same time.

If we truly want to change the condition of our minds, We need extraordinary effort. I suppose That is why the old Arahants say that it's very rare to find those who will actually realize the end of the path. It requires extraordinary courage and determination. Are any of you this determined and courageous? I feel you ALL are. Or else you would not be Here searching for answers All these years.

This was one of my very first continuous practices. When mind was active I did mantra recitation. When mind was calm and quiet I did anapanasati. But whichever one I did it was always continuous until I shut my eyes for bed. Through all daily activities. I am of the type that cannot sit with eyes closed as part of my practice. In my years as a practitioner I have done no more than 48 hours seated with eyes closed over that period. All of my methods involve Practicing while actively engaged in the world. That's What I call 'Baptism under fire! We learn to overcome the effects of mind from within the world.

How can one learn to overcome anger If there is no anger there? Or any other strong perceivably negative emotion.

So for example when We continuously recite our mantra there is only the mantra there. Whenever something comes up in mind we see it instantly. If anger comes up we see it and practice subduing it.

If there's a fire in the kitchen and we catch it early when it's still small, there is relatively no damage done. We saw It and extinguished it before it got too big and too much damage was done. Now suppose we didn't realize there was a fire and the kitchen turned in an inferno, even if we managed to extinguish it, now it's too late the damage is already done. Anger is like this. When our attention is actively engaged in a method our focus is on mind. So whenever mind concocts we know about it. If we know immediately we can subdue those negative reactions before they grow into an inferno. Isn't it always easier to put out a tiny fire as opposed to a huge one?

With continuous practice we become more skilled at doing this. If one is persistent there may come a point where It is habitual. We no longer need the mantra. Mind's activity is now naturally low. So whenever thoughts or emotions do arise we know clearly and vividly. Then we let them go because our continued practice of the method has trained us how to do so from actually doing it during daily life.

The point being to choose a method that keeps our attention on Mind at all times. Mind is the source of perceived disturbance so mind is always the target of our focus. Mantra allows us to watch mind indirectly. Our attention is mainly on recitation but When mind concocts we know.

VictoriousShoshin
  • PöljäPöljä Veteran

roots: In addition to mindfulness, cognitive therapy may be good for the post-traumatic stress. I have no personal experience of it though it has been recommended for me... I simply haven't known any such therapist here. SSRI's and other medicines like them only mess my brain.

• VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    edited June 2015

Tony_A_Simien said:

Thank you Tony. That is very inspiring. Mindfulness through an entire day is still my struggling goal.
    I have not thought about mantra recitation to calm the excited mind!
    I will try it when needed.

Thanks for the tip.

/Victor

EDIT: Actually I have never understood how mantra can be used in meditation b4. Thanks.

lobsterShoshin
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@Pöljä said:

I've got a similar book and it's very soothing and calming _ /\ _

Vastmind