Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Humor

misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a HinduIndia Veteran
edited June 2015 in General Banter

hi all,

a question came to my mind regarding humor, so thought of asking you all.

in spirituality, restrain of senses is usually said. so when it comes to speech, idle chatter is not allowed. but i think when we say jokes or kid around, then usually the talk involves something which is not there actually or extrapolated or making fun of others - but this i think might come under idle chatter.

but i heard few monks like Ajahn Brahm, Thanissaro Bhikku saying in their dhamma talks that we should have humor around us to keep us in a light mood.

so the question is that - is humor (like jokes, comedy etc) allowed in spiritual path? should we try to say jokes or kid around to make us laugh - or - should we try to be serious all the time by speaking no idle talk? please suggest. thanks in advance.

EarthninjaShoshinBuddhadragon

Comments

• ZeroZero Veteran

@misecmisc1 said:
    so the question is that - is humor (like jokes, comedy etc) allowed in spiritual path? should we try to say jokes or kid around to make us laugh - or - should we try to be serious all the time by speaking no idle talk? please suggest. thanks in advance.

Idle talk doesn't necessarily equate to humour, nor does seriousness necessarily mean humourless.
    It would be a strange thing if humour were not allowed - I can't recall my sense of humour ever asking permission.

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited June 2015

Shunryu Suzuki was once asked if Zen practice were serious. He replied, more or less, "it's serious, but it's not that serious."

I always found it interesting that in Christianity the Bible nowhere says, "And Jesus laughed." And maybe the same is true for the heavy-hitters in other persuasions. Personally, I am not persuaded by such persuasions.

yagrRowan1980
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

Try living life without any laughter and see how you like it.

Be dead serious all the time and see how you like it.

Try them both and see how OTHER people like it.

It's your road. Don't look for permissions on everything. Especially from religion. Be a funny person...or don't.

silverShoshin
  • Will_BakerWill_Baker Vermont Veteran

In my opinion, humor, so long as it isn't mean-spirited, makes the world a better place...

BunksShoshin
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

ELIXIR IN THE PURE-LAND
    A monk asked Zhaozhou, “What is that which is spiritual?”
    The Master replied, “A puddle of piss in the Pure Land [of Amitabha Buddha].”
    The monk said, “I ask you to reveal it to me.”
    Zhaozhou said, “Don’t tempt me.”

“Since everything is but an apparition, having nothing to do with good or bad, acceptance or rejection, one may well burst out in laughter.”
    ― Longchenpa

DEATH
    When the family's dog died, a mother tried to gently break the news to her little 5-year-old daughter. “We can all be happy now that little Bo is up in heaven with God.” Replied the little girl: “But mom, what's God going to do with a dead dog?”

http://stottilien.com/2013/04/03/crazy-wisdom-the-archetype-of-the-fool-the-clown-the-jester-and-the-trickster/

Personally I find the sanctified is improved by the postscript, 'only joking'
    For example:

The body of Christ ('only joking')

lā ʾilāha ʾillā-llāh, muḥammadun rasūlu-llāh
    There is no god but God. Muhammad is the messenger of God. ('only joking')

I take refuge in the Buddha.
    I take refuge in the Dharma.
    I take refuge in the Sangha.

('only joking')

... and now back to the serious question ... :p
    only joking

yagrpegembaraVastmind
  • edited July 2015

What if we judged our own lives based on how much time we spent laughing and smiling?
    "And are you laughing?" Old Age, Dhammapada

Vastmind
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited July 2015

If one stops to think about it... "Karma" in all its intricate glory determines whether or not ones life is a laughing matter

ZenshinyagrWalker
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Buddhist monk pretending to be a pirate:

WalkerVastmindyagrShoshin
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

If I couldn't have a good laugh now and then, if the religion of my choice had teachings which forbade, frowned upon or disapproved of mirth, jollity, good humour and a merry nature - it wouldn't be the religion of my choice for long....

VastmindyagrRowan1980Buddhadragon

@SpinyNorman .... The funniest part was when the bird lost his footing on the slick dome...hahahaha

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Lovely how he takes no notice and carries on talking, like it happens every day and he's used to it. ;)

Walker

IKR