Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Nothing to wear?

As you probably know, traditionally the Buddha Band wore little more than a shroud died in turmeric.

I watched this documentary about 'fast fashion' and its cost. In the UK we have very cheap clothing. I was unaware of the price. Quite shocking.

http://truecostmovie.com

WalkerShoshin

Comments

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited July 2015

Today's cheery thought of where things are likely to lead..

As our population continues to deplete our available resources,** deprivation **itself of life's necessities will eventually determine of food, water, shelter and clothing needs,
    the difference between ornamentation and survival.

Why won't future generations dam us as ostriches burying our collective intelligences in the sand in the same way as we have pointed at the German populations of WW11 for ignoring the unfolding atrocities of their own time.

At least much of the German populace could excuse their avoidance due to a fear for their own lives.
    I'd love to hear what our excuses might be for not connecting the dots.

WalkerlobsterBunksInvincible_summer
  • WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

Thanks for the guilt trip, lobbie! :p

lobsterVastmindInvincible_summer

I've already been recently chastising myself over my beef consumption. This poor novice can only handle so much conviction!

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited July 2015

@Walker
    I'd just like this question start touching our collective consciousness in the same way that we have seen it change some of yesterday's views of racial or gender or sexual prejudices.
    Some baby steps from selfishness towards selflessness.

WalkerlobsterVastmindStraight_Man

Yeah, baby steps. But our whole societal structure will need to change eventually methinks.

howVastmindSteve_B
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Sadly @lobster tis Out of sight out of mind ...most people in the West know of the plight of factory workers in some Asian countries, however we more often than not turn a blind eye to their plight but not to the cheap clothing on offer...(That's eye consciousness for ya)

I only buy recycled clothes....

"When this is, that is
    This arising, that arises
    When this is not, that is not
    This ceasing, that ceases."

However there is a gradual shift in social consciousness.....

WalkerlobsterBunks
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

I don't buy many clothes, but the little I buy are good cotton, linen, silk and wools coming from fair trade shops.

The tendency is that most young girls nowadays prefer to buy heaps of cheap, synthetic clothes in these cheesy venues with clothes of dubious origins.
    Because they are seemingly cheap, though the real cost is high.

• nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran

@Shoshin said:
    I only buy recycled clothes....

Mostly the same here. Except, well...except for underwear. Don't really want to think about "recycled" underwear.

VastmindShoshinBuddhadragon
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran

This one nun I saw speak talks a lot about the 10 percent and how we don't need everyone on the boat for social change, just a pivotal number of people. It's really not very many, and with a dedicated effort a small group can steer the whole flock into a wholesome direction. Like a few fish in the school of fish... little by little.

Yeah the guilt trip is crazy, we do lots of things that are not very helpful to the planet or our communities. A big part is information -- the better the information of our cycles and loops (the better our "feedback loop") the more people will let up. The rest of the journey to sustainability is social. Which is really comforting, actually.

I read about a gentleman who went on a retreat in SF. He had only seen the buildings and the pollution as some sort of glaring dust mote on the surface of the jewel planet. When he did this metta-oriented retreat he came back and the only thoughts that flooded his mind were "so many people to love!" which is a place I'd much rather be.

Scrutiny certainly has its place but we need not only abandon harmful action, we have to engage in and adopt helpful action. That starts with yourself. Hopefully I don't sound too high-and-mighty, being a beginner myself I can only hope to use what limited understanding I have to improve things, but I think if we start viewing things in terms of systems more, and start caring for each other, we'll see a lot of the holes in the continuities of our economic loops, and really look for deeper meaning and usefulness in them.

I'd write more but basically all I want to say is that even in a flawed system there are positives, and even though samsara will be broken and you can't fix it, you can help your fellow people by doing your best to clear away what limits yourself (first).

So yeah yeah yeah let's dance and sing and get the flock swimming just a little closer to complete-cycle-happiness woo :chuffed:

lobsterWalkerStraight_Man
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

No apologies for posting this reminder again ...

Do we buy into consumption and pseudo well being? Do we enter the Middle Way as individual practitioners?

In dharma we pause. Examine. Ultimately we change.

I change through choice. To the degree of personal capacity.

Iz plan.

WalkerStraight_Man
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@nakazcid said:
    Mostly the same here. Except, well...except for underwear. Don't really want to think about "recycled" underwear.

I buy my underwear (mainly) from http://www.pantstopoverty.com/

@nakazcid said:

Underwear ! Who wears underwear ??? :lol:

ZenshinlobsterWalker
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@nakazcid said:

And shoes. Never buy second-hand shoes.
    Yuk.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Shoshin said: Underwear ! Who wears underwear ??? :lol:

I think you Kiwis need more contact with the Royal Family and associated English gentlemen. ;)

WalkerShoshin
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran

@federica said:
    And shoes. Never buy second-hand shoes. Yuk.

Hygiene aside, wearing someone else's worn shoes could also cause your feet and back some trouble if you're unlucky. Better to shell out the extra cash and get a good pair of shoes.

edited July 2015

I agree @Invincible_summer if one has got the money then buy new, however not every person living in Western society can afford to by 'new' things such as good "quality" shoes (which by the are very expensive), the cheap shoes are just that "cheap" and not necessarily good for the feet...

I bought a pair of secondhand 'Rocker' sport shoes for $2 (NZ) however they were as good as new, it looked like the person who bought them didn't realise how 'strange' this type of shoe is to walk in (hence the rocking motion when walking) she might have bought them online and couldn't be bothered returning them...

There are many 'good' quality things found in op shops and some things are as good as new (fortunately 'for the low income people' some people have more money than sense -they buy "new" wear once then get rid of)....

WalkerInvincible_summer
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

It's interesting to consider that as much as the gap between rich and poor (and how the rich ride the backs of the poor) is widening yet today, eventually it is unsustainable and it'll crash. And it'll be the rich who cannot get by. Who do not know how to make clothing, get food, build shelter and so on. They survive on the backs of everyone else but they will be alone when it all crashes down.

I try to be a conscious consumer. Sometimes it is difficult. It is hard with 3 kids and one income to spend $20 on a single shirt when I know I can get them for $7 down the street. But what I've found is that we (Americans in particular) have far too much. We think we need 7 pairs of shoes and 20 pairs of jeans and closets and dressers full of clothes. We don't. I limit how much everyone in our house has for clothing, so that we can afford to spend more on quality items that don't harm others (as much as I can find anyhow). Spend the same, have less. It works out for the best in so many ways. When kids are growing it's hard, they outgrow everything every year, and quality winter clothes are crazy expensive. We do what we can to buy local, but again, weighing it all when a locally made kids' coat is $175 compared to $40 at the mall is a tough call to make for something they will outgrow in a year!

I think most people are aware, and don't care. They love a new cell phone every year and a new computer every 2 years, new cars, new clothes, new purses, artsy fingernails, all the toys on commercials. They can't afford it all unless they buy stuff that is made off the sweat of others. Many don't care. Some care but push it away because they don't know what to do and the thought of dropping their lifestyle scares the crap out of them.

WalkerShoshin

I'll spend a bit extra on an article of clothing if I know it'll last a long time. I actually prefer synthetics for their longevity. And I tend to wear my clothes until Mrs. Walker says 'You know, that shirt is full of holes- time to throw it out!' :anguished: And then I'll use it for rags. :p

Shoshin
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited July 2015

My girlfriend works at goodwill and I get good stuff given by her. Regardless of where they (my clothes) originated at the very least they are being re-used again rather than buying new.

ShoshinWalker

@karasti A church in the small town we used to live in held a free clothing exchange every year. It was great for parents with kids that grew out of their winter gear.