Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Growing my hair

I'm thinking of growing my hair out again cause I miss having long hair. The thing is though I did kinda obsess over it last time. How can I have long hair without being attached?

Comments

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

How can I have long hair without being attached?

@Mingle -- Why don't you ask the hair how it grows out without being attached to you? :)

EarthninjaKundoRowan1980
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Not sure what range of false beards are available in the US? Maybe you could knit your own?

EarthninjaRowan1980
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Mingle said:
    I'm thinking of growing my hair out again cause I miss having long hair. The thing is though I did kinda obsess over it last time. How can I have long hair without being attached?

Every 6 months, shave it all off.

Seriously?

You have to cut hair, to keep it tidy and controlled.
    And you know what?
    It damn well grows again.... so even if you get it cut, and aren't happy with it, guess what?
    You can do it all again in 6 weeks or so.

This seems a bit of trivia, really, to become attached to...

I'm sorry if I sound flippant or dismissive, but I don't understand how you can be so 'attached' to perhaps one of the most temporary components of your body there is....

you lose, on average, 50 - 150 hairs a day.... which is totally normal.

What 'obsession' did you have with it, exactly?

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Being obsessed with appearance is a mirror and youth problem. Apart from wearing wigs and hair weaves, the cure is being comfortable in your skin and hair. Everyone but you thinks you are cute. Lack of confidence and a sense of self worth is attainable. <3

How?

You need a mirror that does not distort your natural shine, that is meditation as you have surmised BUT your enemy, which is also you, is distorting your perception. Sound familiar?

One way is to learn some form of trance work for the subconcious and feeding it positive affirmations ...
    http://www.prolificliving.com/100-positive-affirmations/

Youth you will grow out of.

• MingleMingle Veteran

@federica said:
    What 'obsession' did you have with it, exactly?

I was constantly worrying about losing it and how it looks to everyone

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited July 2015

@Mingle said:
    I was constantly worrying about losing it and how it looks to everyone

Indeed,
    should have shaved 'Lack of' off ...

Lack of confidence and a sense of self worth is attainable. , should be 'Confidence and a sense of self worth is attainable.'

mmm ... and now back to the importance of coiffures and wearing a hairnet ... too wikid?

• Buddhist monks are attached to having shiny heads. They don't seem to renounce their custom of shaving their head.

lobster
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    edited July 2015

Well that isn't a problem with the hair, that's a problem with your perception :) You can choose to change it. Mediation helps.
    I change my hair a lot. I've been shaved completely bald (well with some fuzz, not skin-bald) and I've had it down to my butt. I had it pixie short for a long time, several years. Right now I am growing it out (mostly because my oldest son got a lot of comments that he and I looked a lot alike, LOL) and man I hate it. I hate having hair in my face when I run or bend over (it's not long enough to put in a pony tail yet). I hate cleaning it out of the sink. I hate that I have to shower before I can go anywhere because my hair is out of control. When it's super short, I can get out of bed and get dressed and be ready to go! I miss having super short hair. But I don't want my son to get uncomfortable, and my husband prefers my hair longer. So, my reasons aren't much different than yours, just that mine aren't even my own!

In the end, I always do what I want and my husband is fine with it. But sometimes I get tired enough of comments to change something about myself to avoid the comments, which isn't really the best way, either. When my hair is short, my mom complains that I lost me "beautiful long hair!" yet when it's long, she complains I put it in a pony tail "pony tails are not styles." Makes me wanna shave it all off again :)

A lot of people are quite attached to their hair. I find it so foreign. People I've known who lost hair with cancer, for example, get so very upset. I always assumed it was more to do with a tangible element to an often hidden disease-it makes it all more real. But more often they explained to me how much their identities were hung up on their hair. I've never felt an attachment to my physical body, really. I like that it keeps me going and I treat it well as a result, but I view it more as a machine than I do any aspect of who I am.

lobsterMingle
  • robotrobot Veteran

I'm as vain as the next guy, but there is no way I can avoid the fact that much of my hair has fallen out and the rest is grey. It doesn't have much going for it, except making the statement that I've lived for a while and might know some things. Then I open my mouth and dispel that illusion.
    Wear it long if you like it that way. Or short. Remember that long or short, it all fades away.

lobsterEarthninjaVastmind
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

^^^ I remember an enlightened friend on a retreat joining me whilst I was combing my hair, combing long hair in the same mirror and reminding me gently of the 'dangers' of vanity even for the far shore residents. The vanity may be in not caring for the body, which is what I brought to the mirror ...

@karasti said it well.

• EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

Hey @Mingle !

Not sure if this helps or not, it helps me sometimes when faced with these sorts of things. :)
    I contemplate the fact I'm going to die, and any day to be honest. So if you want to grow your hair. Go for it! It's not like we are going to get out of life alive. Do what makes you happy.

It's amazing how this view is actually liberating. Not pessimistic !