Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Do you eat meat?

Do you? If so, for what reasons? And do you feel guilty about it?

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

I do. I was vegetarian and then at family feasts I was so tempted that I stopped vegetarianism. It's hard to be part time vegetarian for me. I either eat meat or not (to some extent). It's horrible on the animals but it is just such a pain to be a vegetarian. I would pay extra for meat where the animal is raised to express it's instinctive behaviour and happy.

dantepwWalkermmoEarthninja
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited July 2015

Yes. >:)

I am not prepared to be a fussy eater. All my family eat meat. If I am on my own I don't buy meat but if available I eat and cook meat.

Do I feel guilty? Not much, that is eating twice over, once for the body and then unnecessarily for mind and emotional poisoning. It is much easier for vegans to feast on virtue and righteous indignation. They are so Bodhi o:)

Eat meat or don't.

Don't have a cow man
    - Bodhi Bart

dantepwWalkermmoKundo
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@lobster said:
    Yes. >:)

I am not prepared to be a fussy eater. All my family eat meat. If I am on my own I don't buy meat but if available I eat and cook meat.

Do I feel guilty? Not much, that is eating twice over, once for the body and then unncessarily for mind and emotional poisoning. It is much easier for vegans to feast on virtue and righteous indignation. They are so Bodhi o:)

Eat meat or don't.

Don't have a cow man
    - Bodhi Bart

Pretty much the same. If I am cooking or buying dinner I'll generally avoid meat but if someone else is buying or cooking I eat what is given to me.

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

"You are what you eat!" .... or better still, 'you have been what you eat and no doubt will again be what you eat!; ...(If the great universal recycling machine has anything to do with it :) )

"You are what you eat, some say....Well at least I'm not a glutz...Along with a little fruit seeds and vegetables...I'm quite happy being NUTS ! " :)

lobsterdantepwWalkermmo
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

Yes I do, and so did Buddha and so do most monks in Thailand.

lobsterWalkermmoEarthninja
  • WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

Yes.

I like the taste. It's part of a diet that works well with my medical condition.

I don't feel guilty about eating meat in general. I do feel guilty about the amount of beef I consume, as cattle are generally much less efficient in converting resources into calories than other forms of livestock. I'm thinking of checking out my options in purchasing beef from local sources that predominately rely on pasture feeding. Grass fed beef tastes better as well.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@vinlyin, there is no hard proof one way or the other that the Buddha did or didn't eat meat, so that's a moot point.

But as for feeling guilty?
    @dantepw if I may say so, that's a badly-worded question.

Guilt doesn't come into it.
    The moment you imply guilt, you're playing the 'blame-game'.

People do what they do, say what they say, and act in the way they act, including whether they eat or don't eat meat.
    There is nothing to judge or criticise.

There are countless threads on here regarding diet/vegetarianism/Buddhism.

Please look those up (this sub-forum) and study those.

We really don't need another thread of this kind, and it's not about 'guilt' or any other negative connotation.

Thanks to all who contributed.

lobsterKundoEarthninja
This discussion has been closed.