Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Body Reaction in Meditation -

Hi everyone, I would like to ask a weird question. I regularly meditate twice a day - starting my day and before retiring. There is one sitting where my body becomes so relaxed, and whatever that is buried inside was released. It was like a cork being pulled out of the system - there is such a tremendous release. Then coming from nowhere, I found myself sobbing. All the tensions are gone and I could say for the first time - the body and mind was synchronized. Is this normal? I am so careful about emotions which I know works with mind reactivity. Anybody experience same or similar sitting? Thanks.

Comments

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited July 2015

Yes. Very often.

It is quite common for dervishes to weep all night. Men on the whole are taught it is not healthy. In fact it is normal, cathartic and can be non specific. In other words, crying without reason or object.

It is as you suggest to do with emotional 'release'.

Tears of joy. Tears of pride. Tears of laughter. Tears of release ...

I have a weeping Buddha on my shrine.

http://www.drallum.co.uk/ekmps/shops/drallum/images/large-vintage-hand-carved-wooden-weeping-buddha-yogi-figure-sculpture-19cm-1056-p.jpg

• @how @lobster -I remembered a drama talk on how to body becomes a "repository of experiences" in some way accumulates what it received through our experiences. When we felt distress for example, the breathing changes, heart maybe beat faster, muscle becomes tensed. And when in deep states of mind is reached, it will somehow pull the cork and flush.

I remembered a story, when the Buddha was already gone. One of his follower came to Ananda and asked - Now that the Buddha is dead who's gonna be our teacher now. Ananda replied - Now that the Master is dead our teacher is mindfulness of the body. I will try to read more focusing on mindfulness of the body.

lobster
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

@mockeymind said:
    Hi everyone, I would like to ask a weird question. I regularly meditate twice a day - starting my day and before retiring. There is one sitting where my body becomes so relaxed, and whatever that is buried inside was released. It was like a cork being pulled out of the system - there is such a tremendous release. Then coming from nowhere, I found myself sobbing. All the tensions are gone and I could say for the first time - the body and mind was synchronized. Is this normal? I am so careful about emotions which I know works with mind reactivity. Anybody experience same or similar sitting? Thanks.

I cured once, for no apparent reason. It just felt like a great build up of emotions and three tears came. I would of asked the same question.

Ajaan Chah (Thai Forest Tradition) says if this hadn't happened we are not meditating properly.

mockeymind
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Is this normal?

<3

For me, in terms of Buddhist practice it happens most often 'for no reason' when doing mantra. I believe this is because of the strong physical unlocking/cleansing potential effect of chanting. It is why vajrayana is sometimes known as mantrayana.

The important thing is not to seek it or be repulsed or scared. If we feel extreme boddhicitta or great faith in the three jewels or anger at ignorance or [insert arising] we do not require confirmation of 'normality'.

We are on a path. We sit. We walk. We breathe dharma.

That is quite a commitment to our potential. People often say, 'nothing is happening' in my practice. Perfectly fine and equally valid. @how described the situation very well IMO ...

... and now back to the 'norm' ...