Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

sutras that knocked your socks off

sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran

Sutras that knocked your socks (and/or preconceived notions of reality) off!

Looking for some new material. Please feel at liberty to share, and post a brief excerpt if applicable.

Vastmind

Comments

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

This might be of some use @sova "The A to Z of Buddhist Sutras"....

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited July 2015

I have an interest in many however like this one speaks volumes....

""One who knows and sees that these phenomena are this way is called a stream-enterer, steadfast, never again destined for states of woe, headed for self-awakening.""

bookwormEarthninja
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited July 2015

The simsapa Sutta

those things that I have known with direct knowledge but have not taught are far more numerous [than what I have taught]. And why haven't I taught them? Because they are not connected with the goal, do not relate to the rudiments of the holy life, and do not lead to disenchantment, to dispassion, to cessation, to calm, to direct knowledge, to self-awakening, to Unbinding.

Sona Sutta

...over-aroused persistence leads to restlessness, overly slack persistence leads to laziness. >Thus you should determine the right pitch for your persistence, attune[2]the pitch of the [five] faculties [to that], and there pick up your theme."

Skinny Gotami & The Mustard seed

"This is the way it will be in the entire city.
    By means of the Blessed One's compassion for my welfare,
    this will be what is seen."
    And having gained a sense of spiritual urgency from that,
    she went out and covered her son in the charnel ground.

She uttered this verse:
    It's not just a truth for one village or town,
    nor is it a truth for a single family.
    But for every world settled by gods [and men].
    This indeed is what is true — impermanence.

bookwormlobsterVastmind
  • bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran

"What do you think of this, O monks? Is form permanent or impermanent?"

"Impermanent, O Lord."

"Now, that which is Impermanent, is it unsatisfactory or satisfactory?"

"Unsatisfactory, O Lord."

"Now, that which is impermanent, unsatisfactory, subject to change, is it proper to regard that as: 'This is mine, this I am, this is myself?"

"Indeed, not that, O Lord."

Anatta-lakkhana Sutta
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn22/sn22.059.mend.html

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

This is one of my favourites:
    https://suttacentral.net/en/mn1

bookworm
  • Steve_BSteve_B Veteran

No individual teaching. It's a cumulative whole. Many pearls along the way, but I still have my socks.

lobsterVastmindJason
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

I have two sutta compilations that knock my socks off every time I read them:

F. L. Woodward's "Some Sayings of the Buddha" (dated translation, but a minegold, and @federica is witness that I keep it in my handbag with me all the time)

Thich Nhat Hanh's "Awakening of the Heart," a compilation of some of the most important Buddhist suttas, with Thay's analysis.

Vastmind
  • oceancaldera207oceancaldera207 Veteran
    edited July 2015

The various prajnaparamita sutras are my favorites but I liked the samdhinirmocana sutra a lot..I think it's less than well known. Great stuff!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://bibleoteca.narod.ru/Samdhinirmocana-sutra.pdf&ved=0CCkQFjACahUKEwiNxJTVm__GAhVJjA0KHekRBq4&usg=AFQjCNHbcVWkh8OJgTBtnE40tY1ePXXfkQ&sig2=UE6c1Q9PD49sV0les4dXyw

Also don't forget to pay our sticky post titled 'sutra resource and glossary thread' a visit for browsing and downloading .

Vastmind

@DhammaDragon said:> F. L. Woodward's "Some Sayings of the Buddha" (dated translation, but a minegold, and federica is witness that I keep it in my handbag with me all the time)

I've got that one.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

All.
    The.
    Time.

:D

BuddhadragonEarthninja
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

Lotus and Heart sutra.

Shoshin
  • kevchekevche New
    edited August 2015

1.- Dependent origination

"1. With ignorance as a condition there are fabrications.
    2. With fabrications as a condition there is consciousness.
    3. With consciousness as a condition there is name & form.
    4. With name & form as a condition there are the six sense spheres.
    5. With the six sense spheres as a condition there is contact.
    6. With contact as a condition there is feeling.
    7. With feeling as a condition there is craving.
    8. With craving as a condition there is clinging/sustenance.
    9. With clinging/sustenance as a condition there is becoming.
    10. With becoming as a condition there is birth.
    11. With birth as a condition, then old age & death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair come into play. Such is the origination of this entire mass of stress & suffering
    ."

2.- Sammaditthi Sutta
    3.- Mahadukkhakkhandha Sutta
    4.- Four Noble Truths

WalkerbookwormEarthninja
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

Ignorance is the cause. Destroy ignorance and everything else is dominoes. :)

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

Diamond sutra. :+1:

• Lotus Sutra ( Saddharma Pundarika Sutra )

@Vastmind said:Heart sutra.

I think that's still my favourite. It's all poetic and stuff. ;)

• This Sutra made me free within the practise

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/snp/snp.1.03.than.html

bookworm
  • Will_BakerWill_Baker Vermont Veteran

"Come, Kalamas. Do not go upon what has been acquired by repeated hearing; nor upon tradition; nor upon rumor; nor upon what is in a scripture; nor upon surmise; nor upon an axiom; nor upon specious reasoning; nor upon a bias towards a notion that has been pondered over; nor upon another's seeming ability; nor upon the consideration, 'The monk is our teacher.' Kalamas, when you yourselves know: 'These things are good; these things are not blamable; these things are praised by the wise; undertaken and observed, these things lead to benefit and happiness,' enter on and abide in them.

bookworm
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

@Steve_B said:
    No individual teaching. It's a cumulative whole. Many pearls along the way, but I still have my socks.

What @Steve_B said.

• ShimShim Veteran

Plenty of them. They've shocked me, frightened me and left me thinking about the worthlessness of my life. Lol. Perhaps that's why I am not a Buddhist any longer. Don't feed sutras to unstable folks. :-D

I found this (http://fpmt.org/education-2/teachings/sutras/golden-light-sutra/download/) quite impressive. Can't remember why, it could have been the sheer majesty of lofty dharma prose.
    And Amitabha sutras used to be pretty rad as well. And the Universal Door Chapter (25 if I remember correctly) in the Lotus Sutra. Still love that one. (Perhaps it's better to google and find the translations that you'd like, I'm on my phone so finding the versions I prefer is a bit tricky. :)

• @Shim said:
    Don't feed sutras to unstable folks. :-D

B)

You can to a degree increasingly stabilise through practice [not instead of therapy/medication].

As somone born in an un-stable state [Son of Cod] I changed from a baby gibbering tantrum machine into a raving crustacean ...

The important thing is to find a simple calming practice such as breath awareness, mantra, walking meditation etc.

... and now back to the sock removal service ...