Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Mudra

Trying two things ...

'Sway' service/app and putting together an early version of a FAQS on Mudra

Mudra
https://sway.com/ef3mZlejL-kW8YUE

Any points, suggestions etc welcome

Comments

• I'm not into the mudra business, but thought I might throw out something.

(Single deep breath)
    _ Initial entry deleted as irrelevant_

Lobster, I Found this from an entry called "Buddhist Art and Architecture"
    However the visuals did not carry over :(

The Hand Mudras

Hand Mudras - Symbols of Deeper Meaning

The symbolic gestures of the hands of Buddha images, called mudras, are picture tools of identification of deeper meaning:

Gesture of Teaching

The Gesture of Teaching (Dharmacakra Mudra) with both hands in front of the breast, tips of the index finger and the thumps touching.

Gesture of Compassion

The Gift bestowing Gesture of Compassion (Varada Mudra) the right hand pendant with the palm turned outwards.

Gesture of Meditation

The Gesture of Meditation (Samadhi Mudra) with both hands resting on the lap, palms upwards.

Gesture of Fearlessness

The Gesture of Fearlessness (Abhaya Mudra) the right hand slightly elevated, the palm turned outwards, also called the Gesture of Renunciation.

Gesture of Debate

The Gesture of Debate explaining the Buddha’s teachings (Vitaka Mudra) with the hands raised and the tips of the forefingers and the thumbs touch each other.

Gesture Warding off Evil

The Gesture Warding off Evil (Tarjani Mudra) with forefinger and little finger outstretched.

Gesture of Prayer

The Gesture of Prayer (Namaskara Mudra) with the palms folded together.

Gesture Beyond Misery

The Gesture Beyond Misery (Buddha-Shramana Mudra) also called an ascetic’s Gesture of Renunciation.

Gesture of Warding off Evil

The Gesture of Warding off Evil (Bhutadamara Mudra) this is a protection gesture.

Good luck and good hunting.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I have a book on Mudras (Actually, I have two of it - one in English the other in French....) and it's pretty in-depth.

• Thanks guys.

You should be able to swipe up on a tablet, probably phone too, to get the text in the first post to display. Not sure about other formats.

The shinobi or ninja had a series of psychological tools to enable their clandestine activities. Part of this was mudra and visualisation. These were part of a clever mind association practice, partly from Buddhism, Shinto, Taoism and shamanism.

As an example in a more Buddhist context, we can create a sense of 'calmful abiding' during meditation and use an innocuous mudra to link with that feeling.

Live long and Prosper