Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Good films

Hitting hmv today wondering if there is any good films you can recommend. Any that's gonna give me a change of perspective and get me thinking for the next week. I fancy something like that.

rohit

Comments

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited August 2015

A couple of my favourites are Shadowlands ( based on the life of CS Lewis ) and Kingdom of Heaven ( an epic about the crusades ). Also Good will Hunting.

Earthninja
  • The tree of life. Donnie Darko. Memento.

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited August 2015

If you like Buddhism, I liked "The Cup," which has the advantage of not brow-beating its audience with a 'Buddhist' message. Also, "Page Eight" and "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest" (the Swedish one).

• 'As good as it gets' is probably not something you would normally choose. Worth a watch.

• NeleNele Veteran

47 Ronin, especially if you dig Keanu.

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited August 2015

Sometimes, the most profound change of perspective for someone seeking a change in perspective, is just not seeking that change.

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

Off the top of my head, Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring, Amongst White Clouds, Kontroll, The Seventh Seal, The Holy Mountain, The Mindful Way, and Buddha's Lost Children are a few I enjoy.

mmo
  • bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran

I saw a trailer for a movie called Peaceful Warrior, I haven't seen it yet, but it looks good.

yagr
    edited August 2015

One of my favorite movies is, Into the Wild.

• BeejBeej Human Being Veteran

Hmmmm... movies to change your perspective? My experience is that these things are most beneficial when you stumble on them on your own, without a pre-disposition to how they might make you feel or respond. But if you just want a good movie to watch, then watch The Big Lebowski. I make no promises to what the watching experience might do for you, except possibly laugh i guess?

"You're out of your element, Donny!" :p

bookworm
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran

I really enjoyed Wadjda. It gave a critical insider's perspective into the life of a Saudi girl. Opened my eyes to a culture that I know little to nothing about.

Earthlings is very provocative, and will definitely get you thinking about our relationship to animals.

One of my favourite films of all time is In the Mood for Love. A slow-burner that really makes you rethink the whole "romance" genre. Very lush, moody, seductive.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

One of the most compelling films I saw within the last year, was 'The lives of Others'. It's about life in East Germany, prior to the fall of the Wall.... A truly beautiful film....

A second, which recounted how the passion of Love can strike at any age - and why should it not? - was 'Ladies in Lavender' A lovely film quite apart form the fact that it starred two of the most iconic and formidable actresses this and last century have known. They've starred in a few things together and are an awesome team.

Invincible_summer
  • yagryagr Veteran

@bookworm said:
    I saw a trailer for a movie called Peaceful Warrior, I haven't seen it yet, but it looks good.

Based on the book, The Way of the Peaceful Warrior, by Dan Millman. Excellent book with the bonus of being one of three novels with the same characters - so if you like the first...

Also, Circle of Iron (also released under the title, The Silent Flute). It was written by Bruce Lee as a gift to his fans along with an introduction to Buddhist beliefs. He was supposed to star in it but died before production and the role went to David Carradine.

bookwormDavid

There is currently a 3 part BBC series on the Buddha:

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Just finished watching Peaceful Warrior, and the pace was what I was in the mood for after running around in the heat today, I thought it was good - definitely worth at least one watch - although Nick kinda mumbles so I had to turn it up more.

yagr
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran

@SpinyNorman said:
    There is currently a 3 part BBC series on the Buddha:

I understand it's a new series, but they already had "The Life of the Buddha" where they covered pretty much the same thing. And there was all those other BBC docs on religions that covered Buddhism in a very similar way.

I guess one can't complain about the positive press, but from a consumer perspective, we're just getting rehashed facts.

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

@Invincible_summer --- LOL! After "find out for yourself" everything is pretty much a rehash, isn't it? :)

Invincible_summer
  • NamadaNamada Veteran
    edited August 2015

@misecmisc1 I saw this movie today "The Tibetan Book of the Dead The Great Liberation 1994",

Nice movie, they give a good description of what happens in between life and death, with this 6 bardos...but it seems to be a bit of a challenge after you die with all these states you have to go trough

so if you are not afraid to die already, you will be, after watching this movie :P

David
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited August 2015

@Namada said:
    misecmisc1 I saw this movie today "The Tibetan Book of the Dead The Great Liberation 1994",

Nice movie, they give a good description of what happens in between life and death, with this 6 bardos...but it seems to be a bit of a challenge after you die with all these states you have to go trough

so if you are not afraid to die already, you will be, after watching this movie :P

i think i have seen this movie for at least 3 times in full and multiple times heard its starting lines and some portions in between in which some insightful sentences are said. but somehow even though i fear death, the thought about dying does not arise a sense of urgency within me for practice.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@misecmisc1 said:
    i think i have seen this movie for at least 3 times in full and multiple times heard its starting lines and some portions in between in which some insightful sentences are said. but somehow even though i fear death, the thought about dying does not arise a sense of urgency within me for practice.

I still haven't had your definition of what you think 'a sense of urgency' is....

• I thought Waking Life was really good. You can find it on Youtube
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=wAT-KZMqBk4

• Well, I just saw a really great film, about a true living Bodhisattva! =)

This wasn't a Buddhist film, though. But I saw the character the biopic profiled in that light. It's about the guy who invented those Segway 2-wheeler mobility machines. Turns out he's invented a lot of other very cool stuff, mostly in the medical realm, and it turns out he's a very cool, sweet guy, dedicated to alleviating suffering in as many people as possible.

He invented a machine that can purify the most foul water into drinking water, anywhere in the world, and he's gradually distributing it around the world (shipping to villages all over the developing world = a logistical nightmare, not to mention teaching the villagers to wash their hands and use clean receptacles for the water, etc.), which is no mean feat.

He also invented personal kidney dialysis machines, so that people don't have to go to the hospital frequently to get their dialysis, they can do it at home. He has virtually no social life, because he's so busy inventing, and working on ways to get his products to the people that need them. Of course, he's made many millions when med device manufacturers have bought his patents, and he spends those millions on R & D for new machines, new inventions, solving the next problem that comes to his attention. His mother keeps telling him to get a life, so he says, "OK, mom, which of my projects should I abandon, so I'll have time for a life? The water purification box? No? The kidney dialysis machine (Phase II--better and cheaper)? No?" And he goes down his list of projects. Each time, his mother gives up. Until the next time. ;)

EXTREMELY cool movie; it's called "Slingshot". Playing in independent film houses, as far as I can tell.

Invincible_summerfedericaDavid
  • Just a few items in no sensible order that come to the mind of this particular movie snob:

Red Beard
    Stories we tell
    When Marnie was There
    Mother (Korean)
    3-Iron
    Gods must be crazy
    Monk with a camera
    Happy People (documentary)
    Spring Summer Fall Winter and Spring

Invincible_summer
  • Genghis Blues

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Watched Birdman last night - interesting...
    just finished watching Next with Nick Cage, I liked it!

Just finished watching Predestination...strangely satisfying mystery.

I saw Interstellar today, I regret missing it in theaters, it was a really entertaining film, but also really confusing.

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited August 2015

3 Idiots is a pretty good movie to watch if you're down in the dumps and have 3 hours to kill. Just watched it the other night with some friends.

mmo

Whoah - 3 hours?!

I watched The Island and Surrogates a few times in the past week and Life of Pi, which was beyond belief in more ways than one - Life of Pi has been sort of a once-in-a-lifetime sort of exotic mystery and it drew me right in. Some won't get past the unbelievability of it, I guess.

I saw "The Seven Samurai" again recently, a good film.

• rohitrohit Maharrashtra Veteran
    edited August 2015

'Liar liar' of Jim Carrey.

@rohit said:
    liar liar of Jim Carrey.

Yes, I could watch the 'roast' scene all day...so good. :awesome:

rohit
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

Mr. Holland's Opus
    Crash (2004)
    Powder

The Boys Are Back
    American Sniper

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited August 2015

Up In the Air

so good - wonderful movie

mmo
  • "Act Normal" is an interesting documentary, filmed over a long span of time.

Here's its short synopsis: "Filmed for over ten years, a monk visits the modern world by disrobing, marrying, divorcing and becoming a monk again."

This documentary was uploaded on Vimeo by its director and you can watch it here: https://vimeo.com/27590176

mmo
  • mmommo Veteran
    edited August 2015

@silver, I have seen up in the air when I gone through my recovery from past relationship trouble. It was sad seeing at that time. It is a good movie though.

Also, for those of us who love Owls, it is worth to check out guardians of Ga'Hoole :D and the song. Be careful though, metal beak might give you daymare. ;)

silver

Mr. Holland's Opus - it was awesome but a bit slow in one or two spots.

<3

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Baraka and Samsara (by the same director, there is more than one Samsara)
    Truman Show

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited September 2015

'That Sugar Film' is about an experimental change of diet. Getting calories from 'healthy foods'.

Interesting to find the effects on mentation ...

My name is Lobster and I am a sugar junkie

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@lobster said:

My name is Lobster and I am a sugar junkie

Aha that's so sweet :)

• NamadaNamada Veteran
    edited September 2015

One of the best and sadest film I have ever seen, Grave of the fireflies, a film showing how cruel the world can be, two kids trying to survive alone in the middle of a warzone..

• @Mingle said:
    Hitting hmv today wondering if there is any good films you can recommend. Any that's gonna give me a change of perspective and get me thinking for the next week. I fancy something like that.

What kind of films do you generally watch or particularly enjoy? Any favourite genres?

• misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran

@karasti said:
    Baraka and Samsara (by the same director, there is more than one Samsara)
    Truman Show

I have seen both Baraka and Samsara - both are a treasure to watch, absolute brilliance of photography and displayed theme of content. Hats off to the makers of these films.

I just finished watching Pitch Perfect, and it was a lotta fun.

sorry, don't have any strictly religious films to offer

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

@silver said:

• Life of Pi has been sort of a once-in-a-lifetime sort of exotic mystery and it drew me right in. Some won't get past the unbelievability of it, I guess.

I've had a bit stuck in my craw about Life of Pi for years now, sorry to unburden it now. I thoroughly enjoyed the first %99 of the movie but

the argument Pi makes at the end about why he believes in God

put a really bad taste in my mouth because of its, imo, ridiculousness.

I'll add my up vote to Samsara and Baraka as well.

Though far from spiritual, The Matrix, has some not so subtle Buddhist themes in it.

Oh. I don't even recall the argument, because the visual stuff was so potent - that's what blew me away. I've always been very visual (you know what I mean) but since my intro to Buddhism, it's even more powerfully meaningful when I see stuff like this.