Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What mantras do you recite everyday?

I'm just curious to see which mantras/sutras everyone recites daily. I'm also eager to learn any new ones and to see how they change your day spiritually, mentally and even physically.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Two full malas of the Tara Mantra.
    Morning and evening.
    Fortitude and strength to carry whatever the day brings upon my shoulders.
    Gratitude and relinquishment of whatever the day has brought.

Rowan1980Shim
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited May 2015

As I walk towards the cushion and to bring focus to the mind I say a few "Om Mani Padme Hung" ( The Jewel Is In The Lotus) ...This seems to happen automatically without thinking ( That is, without intentional thoughts like and now it's time to chant )..

• Will_BakerWill_Baker Vermont Veteran

"My life is a series of lifetimes..."

Rowan1980Talis
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited May 2015

@SpinyNorman said:
    "May I be well, may I be happy."

"Please, Buddha, send more ice cream."

OM VANILLA PEME HUM
    we haz plan

Lately I have been touched by the Purelanders (not to be confused with the Highlanders)
    http://www.purifymind.com/Chanting.html

Kundonakazcid
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@lobster said:

I had a look at purifymind.com and found it quite interesting. How are you finding the chanting?

_ /\ _

• lobsterlobster Veteran

^^^ I can not use namu amitofu as I am not a fan of tofu bean curds. However that is a semantic culinary association and fault of not being Japanese.

Namu Amitaba is both simple and workable as a focus and entry into the Purelander mind paradise. I have a small pic of Amitabha on my shrine to add to the focus.

Going good. <3

Kundo
  • reb1220reb1220 Explorer

I often use om mani padme hum, and lately I have thought about simply thinking of something I am thankful for for each bead, to keep me positive.

federicalobsterBuddhadragon
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

That makes sense @reb1220.

Mantrayana is powerful stuff when focussing attention. Here are my FAQs on mantra:
    http://yinyana.tumblr.com/day/2013/08/03

The idea of 'intentional focus' is something worth adding. Intensity but not tight to the point of strain might be a useful consideration :)

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Like Fede, two rounds of mala for Green Tara, morning and evening.
    Also, Om Mani Padme Hum, several times a day, everywhere, anytime.

Guru Rinpoche's Om Ah Hung Benza Guru Pema Siddhi Hung.
    Buddha Vajrasattva's purification mantra: Om Vajrasattva Hum.
    Buddha Amitabha's Om Ami Dewa Hrih.
    Manjushri's Om Ah Rapa Tsa Na Dhi.

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Actually, I have this gorgeous little book by Lillian Too, which is chockful of mantras and lavishly illustrated.
    I carry it with me and wherever I find myself, I choose a mantra or prayer at random.

sovaRowan1980KundoShim
  • nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran

Though I meditate every day, I've never found mantras particularly useful. It could be that I'm too focused on doing them 'right'. What sort of effects/benefits have people experienced from reciting mantras.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

@Guanyin said:
    I'm just curious to see which mantras/sutras everyone recites daily. I'm also eager to learn any new ones and to see how they change your day spiritually, mentally and even physically.

It is a useful practice. There are so many. For example I like 'The White Lotus' because doing it on one out breath, with practice, suits me.
    http://www.quietmountain.org/links/teachings/7_Line_Prayer_To_Guru_Rinpoche/7lnpryr.htm

I used to do praises to the 21 Tara's daily at least once. That takes at least an hour and includes several other mantras. Never learned it by heart but had to read it
    Here is a version in English (not the one I learned)
    http://www.quietmountain.org/links/teachings/7_Line_Prayer_To_Guru_Rinpoche/7lnpryr.htm

How they change one?
    More peace, calm and devotion to dharma :)

• howhow Veteran Veteran

The "now what?" breath attention mantra.

Each inhalation says "Now"

Each exhalation says "What?"

ajhayesShoshin
  • TalisTalis Explorer
    edited June 2015

Om Mani Padme Hung, especially if I get a wrong thought of judgement about somebody. I internally say Cancel! Om mani padme hung x3. This helps me to realise my truth is not anothers.

lobsterBunks
  • ajhayesajhayes Pema Jinpa Dorje Northern Michigan Veteran

I have started with Om Mani Padme Hung. It comes to mind easily and reminds me of what I am striving for. @Talis I do a similar thing when I get a wrong thought. It helps me to be more mindful of how I am acting.

• bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran

I don't recite mantras.

Earthninja
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@federica said:

"Make me a Channel of your Peace" (which is the first line of the hymn, taken from the Prayer of St Francis of Assisi....)

It's such a lovely sentiment, and although originally a request to God, I personally silently direct it to The Buddha, because I've never heard of him ever having been upset, agitated, peeved or even mildly miffed....

Wonderful. This to me is a perfect example of how a meaningful sentiment from an existing heritage can be utilised ...

Bravo.

Without any sense of confusion - that is important - we might find Dharma in Catholicism, Taoism, advertising slogans eg 'Just do it' from Nike.

We think chanting in Tibetan, Pali or Mongolian throat warbling is more spiritual but the Truth is our intention, degree of commitment and implementation is key.

Words can be hollow, empty in many ways or very real ...

WalkerajhayesKundo
  • WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

@federica Yeah, sitting under a tree and meditating seems to be a little more peaceful than cursing it for not having any fruit. Just saying... ;)

Kundo
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@Talis said:
    Om Mani Padme Hung, especially if I get a wrong thought of judgement about somebody. I internally say Cancel! Om mani padme hung x3. This helps me to realise my truth is not anothers.

<3

Good policy. Works for me. Though I tend to use the spelling OM MANI PEME HUM which is slghtly softer
    It is kinda a pause and remember/attention.

Mantras are a symbolic and actual implementation of 'Right Concentration'. Of course potentially they offer depth, healing and balance. Mantras can be 'obsessive Dharma' if done in dogmatic isolation. However that is not your situation.

I would suggest noticing the effects of:

• silent
    • verbal
    • repeated
    • drawn out
    • deeply focussed
    • casual
    • speed
    • fervent
    • with visulisation

etc

This expermentation will deepen the potential usage and understanding ...

• EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

"Look for the bear necessities, the simple bear necessities. Forget about your worries and your strife!" - the jungle book

rootslobster
  • rootsroots Veteran

@Earthninja said:
    "Look for the bear necessities, the simple bear necessities. Forget about your worries and your strife!" - the jungle book

Yesh!
    Ah, baloo.

EarthninjaKundo
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited June 2015

Barukh atah Adonai Eloheinu, Melekh ha'olam, shehakol nih'ye bidvaro.

KundolobsterShim
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@Jason said:
    Barukh atah Adonai Eloheinu, Melekh ha'olam, shehakol nih'ye bidvaro.

Is that from the Greek version of the Jungle Book? :glasses:

edited June 2015

@lobster said:
    Is that from the Greek version of the Jungle Book? :glasses:

The Jewish one - if we say it right we can pig out at kiddush :awesome:

To inject a bit of seriousness for a moment, I find several parts of the Amidah (daily prayer) can be very meditative when repeated in Hebrew.

_ /\ _

lobsterroots
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

In take it that's kosher pig....?

("Blessed are you Lord our God, King of the universe"...)

Kundo

@federica said:
    In take it that's kosher pig....?

("Blessed are you Lord our God, King of the universe"...)

wipes Coke off the monitor

silver
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited June 2015

@dhammachick said:
    wipes Coke off the monitor

Depravity! Hope it was medicinal nose candy ...

KundoWalker
  • To All

Why do you all discontinue mantra recitation for even a single moment? Mantra recitation is the most effective when done continuously. Mantra recitation or Japa alone is a complete practice which leads to the natural state. It is as effective as seated meditation. As a matter of fact with some individuals more effective. And quickens our tread on the pathless path.

At all times, in all positions, whether one is eating, bathing, cooking, cleaning, performing any household duty or working a regular job. Recitation must continue at all times.

The most effective of course is silent recitation. Mentally reciting one's mantra at all times. We can recite aloud in the beginning, to create a mental 'reverb' in the mind. This makes It easier to recite mentally because we have heard the actual sounds. One will forget many, many, many times. But when we remember we begin again. There is no right or wrong way. Whatever method suits ones nature. Fast or slow; do it in the form of a rhyme ; turn it into a song; whichever way is enjoyed by mind. Experiment to see what works best for you. If mind does not enjoy it, chances are it may not work for you. It's far better to give mind something it enjoys (but doesn't create extraneous proliferating emotions or thoughts which causes wandering) instead of forcing it to perform.

The function of mantra recitation is to have our attention continuously engaged in order to subdue the wandering mind. To lessen minds proliferating of fragmented emotions and thoughts. We do mantra recitation to expand that gap that we normally experience between thoughts. I'm sorry to say, this will not happen by reciting only a few times a day.

Om muni muni maha muni shakyamuni soha!
    Om ah hung vajra guru peme siddhi hung
    Who am I? This was my first. It was based on my misinterpretation of Sri Ramana Maharshi's Self Enquiry teachings. I have had many. Some I made up myself.

The point is to keep ones attention engaged at all times so that the mind does not proliferate. So we wouldn't choose a word or phrase that would create more thoughts Or emotions. Or At least emotions which are not related to the recitation. Reciting with emotion and devotion is the most powerful type. Because our strong emotionally response to the word or idea keeps our attention firmly engaged. It is possible to continue with one's normal activities while maintaining the recitation in the background. It simply takes dedication.

Whenever one remembers please recite. We all in the beginning forget tens of thousands of times; before our practice becomes stable. I used to leave notes in my pockets; messages on my phone; single words written on the palm of my hands so that I would always remember. I even had little notes in my wallet with the cash. I had reminders scattered everywhere to force myself to remember. Then there came a time when I needed no more reminders. It flowed naturally. It even happened in sleep. I'm sleeping and dreaming while consciously reciting my mantra. And watching my breath at the same time.

If we truly want to change the condition of our minds, We need extraordinary effort. I suppose That is why the old Arahants say that it's very rare to find those who will actually realize the end of the path. It requires extraordinary courage and determination. Are any of you this determined and courageous? I feel you ALL are. Or else you would not be Here searching for answers All these years.

Earthninjaroots
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Are any of you this determined and courageous?

I'm not.

OM MANI [something or other]

Think I will just sit quietly without any desire for outcome in a quite cowardly and indifferent way ...

[lobster fails again] and now a message from my sponsor - Mr Cushion ...

EarthninjaKundosilver

@Tony_A_Simien "If we truly want to change the condition of our minds, We need extraordinary effort. I suppose That is why the old Arahants say that it's very rare to find those who will actually realize the end of the path. It requires extraordinary courage and determination. Are any of you this determined and courageous? I feel you ALL are. Or else you would not be Here searching for answers All these years."

Hmmm I personally don't want to try to change the mind by strong effort.
    I'm the approach of "You don't have to transcend what you take no interest in"

I find effort further perpetrates the problem, that there's somebody who is trying to control the mind.

I remember a Bodhidharma story. He was meditating in a cave and this guy "Akar?" turned up and wanted to be instructed.
    Anyway after awhile Bodhidharma gave in, I think Akar supposedly cut his arm off.

Akar said to him". I have to piece of mind! Please help me pacify my mind!"

Bodhidharma then said" show me your mind!, I'll pacify it for you"

Akar said" When I look for it, I can't find it? "

Bodhidharma said:" there, it's pacified"

I like this approach, less effort but still not easy.

lobsterTony_A_SimienKundo
  • @Earthninja

Has it worked? How many years have you been a practitioner? And have you transcended mind yet?

I don't disagree with what you've said, but that refers mostly to those practitioners who in the beginning made a lot of effort in order to reach a point where it became effortless.

So the question becomes has It worked for you? That's a question you must answer Internally. I don't expect an answer.

And how far along the path would you be now If you had made effort?

Have you at least tried with continuous effort for more than 1 year with no results? If one has never tried then how can one know?

I'm more interested in what you know from experience rather than what Bodhidharma said or thought? Bodhidharma can't help you. Only you can help you.

Is your mind pacified after all this time as a practitioner? Do you still fear death? If the doctor told you in 3 days you'll be dead? Would your mental attitude be such it would be like the doctor said nothing at all?

In the beginning I made effort. Now Its effortless. Different methods for different characters. I've tried many until I found what worked for me. All I'm saying is keep an open mind. If what you're doing now is working miracles then that is wonderful. But because it's your preferred method does not invalidate the countless others.

Earthninja
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@Tony_A_Simien said:

Is your mind pacified after all this time as a practitioner? Do you still fear death? If the doctor told you in 3 days you'll be dead? Would your mental attitude be such it would be like the doctor said nothing at all?

I think you were just accused of being a 'practitioner'. :anguished:

Pacify my mind? Tsk tsk, I would have nothing to think with ... :p

As for doctors telling me when I will be dead, little do they know that they are alive for three days - maybe. o:)

Since everything is but an apparition,
    Perfect in being what it is,
    Having nothing to do with good and bad,
    Acceptance or rejection,
    You might as well burst out laughing!

Longchepa [deceased but still laughing]

mfranzdorf
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Earthninja said: I find effort further perpetrates the problem, that there's somebody who is trying to control the mind.

Right Effort is a path factor.

lobsterbookworm

@Tony_A_Simien said:
    Earthninja

Has it worked? How many years have you been a practitioner? And have you transcended mind yet?

Again for me it's no about transcending anything, I'm beginning to see "mind" for what it is. It seems pointless to pacify it, I can understand calming it. :) it helps when stressed.

I don't disagree with what you've said, but that refers mostly to those practitioners who in the beginning made a lot of effort in order to reach a point where it became effortless.

I guess the effort I use now is trying not identify with thoughts. However this also happens by itself, but I guess it seems like effort sometimes :)

So the question becomes has It worked for you? That's a question you must answer Internally. I don't expect an answer.

Worked? Well I'm beginning to find out what I'm not. :) haha I guess you can call that working from my perspective anyway.

And how far along the path would you be now If you had made effort?

I tried to build up to 3 hours daily sitting meditation, attended Vipassana retreats, walking meditations. My mind became very calm and I felt more joy but as soon as I went on holiday etc..
    It certainly helps the mind, but I feel this is not my path. :)

Have you at least tried with continuous effort for more than 1 year with no results? If one has never tried then how can one know?

I guess you have to follow what feels right for the individual. There are a multitudes of practices. You have to find one that resonates.

I'm more interested in what you know from experience rather than what Bodhidharma said or thought? Bodhidharma can't help you. Only you can help you.

Ofcourse, I just found that saying touched something deep with me. It was so simple it's been overlooked my whole life.

Fear death? Hmmm in finding that out at the moment haha. See the other thread I started. Kind of feels like I'm dying in a way.

In the beginning I made effort. Now Its effortless. Different methods for different characters. I've tried many until I found what worked for me. All I'm saying is keep an open mind. If what you're doing now is working miracles then that is wonderful. But because it's your preferred method does not invalidate the countless others.

I would never invalidate any other path, I was just giving my perspective as you gave yours. Just sharing :) you said Arahants say it requires courage and determination but you were referring to saying mantras.
    I was referring more to looking at the mind for what it is. :)

Hope you are well my friend, I admire your tenacity at mantras!

Tony_A_Simien

@SpinyNorman said:
    Right Effort is a path factor.

I never really understood the 8fold path.
    But the 4 noble truths! That's incredible stuff! Haha.

@Earthninja said:I never really understood the 8fold path.

It's like getting scout badges. I could supply some for you at a very competitive rate. ;)

EarthninjaKundo

@SpinyNorman said:
    It's like getting scout badges. I could supply some for you at a very competitive rate.

That's what I figured, "right effort" being mindful of wrong effort. +1 exp.

• Tony_A_SimienTony_A_Simien Veteran
    edited June 2015

@Earthninja said:

"It seems pointless to pacify it, I can understand calming it. :) it helps when stressed"

Yes. The nature of mind is activity. So when we say mind we are referring to conscious mental activity; or movement. There is always activity in the background of consciousness; To keep the body functioning. By mind we mean movement that we are consciously aware of (e.g thoughts, emotions, labeling, likes, aversions etc).

What I'm speaking of here is not so much pacifying mind but rather the ability, from training, to access mind only when needed. So when It's not needed it remains in the background completely silent. Not moving at all. But when it is required for a specific task it's reborn. In other words we are no longer slaves to mind's tyranny. Before mind was master and body slave. Now mind Is our servant. It is used at our discretion. It no longer drags us about with a chain. We can choose to use it or not. But now it is a choice. Before we had no choice. It was always there.

Earthninjalobsterroots

@Tony_A_Simien said:
    To All

Why do you all discontinue mantra recitation for even a single moment? Mantra recitation is the most effective when done continuously. Mantra recitation or Japa alone is a complete practice which leads to the natural state. It is as effective as seated meditation. As a matter of fact with some individuals more effective. And quickens our tread on the pathless path.

At all times, in all positions, whether one is eating, bathing, cooking, cleaning, performing any household duty or working a regular job. Recitation must continue at all times.

The most effective of course is silent recitation. Mentally reciting one's mantra at all times. We can recite aloud in the beginning, to create a mental 'reverb' in the mind. This makes It easier to recite mentally because we have heard the actual sounds. One will forget many, many, many times. But when we remember we begin again. There is no right or wrong way. Whatever method suits ones nature. Fast or slow; do it in the form of a rhyme ; turn it into a song; whichever way is enjoyed by mind. Experiment to see what works best for you. If mind does not enjoy it, chances are it may not work for you. It's far better to give mind something it enjoys (but doesn't create extraneous proliferating emotions or thoughts which causes wandering) instead of forcing it to perform.

The function of mantra recitation is to have our attention continuously engaged in order to subdue the wandering mind. To lessen minds proliferating of fragmented emotions and thoughts. We do mantra recitation to expand that gap that we normally experience between thoughts. I'm sorry to say, this will not happen by reciting only a few times a day.

Om muni muni maha muni shakyamuni soha!
    Om ah hung vajra guru peme siddhi hung
    Who am I? This was my first. It was based on my misinterpretation of Sri Ramana Maharshi's Self Enquiry teachings. I have had many. Some I made up myself.

The point is to keep ones attention engaged at all times so that the mind does not proliferate. So we wouldn't choose a word or phrase that would create more thoughts Or emotions. Or At least emotions which are not related to the recitation. Reciting with emotion and devotion is the most powerful type. Because our strong emotionally response to the word or idea keeps our attention firmly engaged. It is possible to continue with one's normal activities while maintaining the recitation in the background. It simply takes dedication.

Whenever one remembers please recite. We all in the beginning forget tens of thousands of times; before our practice becomes stable. I used to leave notes in my pockets; messages on my phone; single words written on the palm of my hands so that I would always remember. I even had little notes in my wallet with the cash. I had reminders scattered everywhere to force myself to remember. Then there came a time when I needed no more reminders. It flowed naturally. It even happened in sleep. I'm sleeping and dreaming while consciously reciting my mantra. And watching my breath at the same time.

If we truly want to change the condition of our minds, We need extraordinary effort. I suppose That is why the old Arahants say that it's very rare to find those who will actually realize the end of the path. It requires extraordinary courage and determination. Are any of you this determined and courageous? I feel you ALL are. Or else you would not be Here searching for answers All these years.

As long as this dedication to chanting is not a way of clinging to "doing xyz the right way" as then it is just clinging to form and that is not what we should be doing - if I understand the teachings correctly

• ShimShim Veteran

How do you choose the mantras or have you been initiated?
    I'm curious, got struck by inspiration while reading some of the posts.

EvenThird
  • @Shim said:
    How do you choose the mantras or have you been initiated?
    I'm curious, got struck by inspiration while reading some of the posts.

I was initiated by the Buddha. A mantra is an excellent way of brain washing. Cleaning a little space for emptiness and peace to reside ...
    http://yinyana.tumblr.com/post/57234975984/buddhist-mantra-faqs

OM YA HA HUM (my own personal mantra, so secret that repeating publically can result in ex-communication - fortunately I have already been thrown out of the heretical YinYana Hinayana for creating personal mantra) <3

roots

Ice-cream saranam gacchāmi. ;)

lobsterShimsilverroots
  • EvenThirdEvenThird NYC Veteran
    edited August 2015

@Shim
    For me, the ones I always go back to are ones that both resonate with me, and ones I have empowerments(or initiations) for. The last part isn't always necessary and depends on lineage/teacher.

Medicine Buddha mantra and sadhana resonates with me the most. Although the mani mantra comes up all the time on it's own..

• I do Lotus Sutra practice daily. ( 3hours or more ) Its been 2 1/2 years now since I have been practicing. I cannot tell you how grateful I am to Buddha for saving my life.
    Nama Saddharma Puntarika Sutra

• rootsroots Veteran
    edited August 2015

As instructed by my teacher, I don't tend to ask 'am I?' any more as much as I assert that 'I am'. These Mantras are a result of my work in my childhood, (as @lobster pointed out to me a little while ago) is work in the first wheel.

I am
    I am mine
    I am here
    I am allowed to be here
    I am allowed to choose
    I am allowed to choose to let go
    I am free
    I am the result of my effort

It's silly because I'm sure you can actually imagine a small child saying them. This is 101 people :awesome: .

Despite all the "I am"s, I also am moving into the contemplation of emptiness. By letting go of the 'me' ("am I?") I've been able to come around and assert who I really am.

• @dhammachick said:
    To inject a bit of seriousness for a moment, I find several parts of the Amidah (daily prayer) can be very meditative when repeated in Hebrew.

Personally I rather like Hebrew, Sanskrit and Arabic for mantra/prayers. That is a personal preference. English or any language is potentially equally efficacious and sacred.

Word (or mandala) or incense or mudra ideally can be associated with positive/mindful states. In other words if you think and associate mantra with resistence, 'what am I doing??' or 'still no bliss' you would be better off listening to mood altering music whilst chanting.

This is how mantra becomes ingrained with awe/peace/calm/courage etc.

Right Speech - a tool ...
    http://www.visiblemantra.org/mantra.html

Thus have I heard

Kundo
  • @nakazcid said:
    Though I meditate every day, I've never found mantras particularly useful. It could be that I'm too focused on doing them 'right'. What sort of effects/benefits have people experienced from reciting mantras.

Good question. Some people can not settle into meditation. Mantra and yoga can be a way in. Just as mindfulness and walking meditation is an alternative practice of continuing depth.

The effects of vocalised mantra start with better breathing patterns, and a 'stronger' voice and ... I have noticed all these affects:

http://www.spiritvoyage.com/blog/index.php/10-reasons-to-chant-on-the-benefits-of-mantra-meditation/

http://www.janeyoga.com/benefits-of-chanting-yoga-of-sound-leads-to-positive-effects/

<3

silver