Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How do you live with...

How do you live with the worst, most selfish, most unskillful actions you've committed in your life - affairs, broken vows, broken precepts, misbehavior, addiction? I thought I was better than that, but woke up a couple of years ago to find out I was not. Working on skillful thinking, as opposed to the unskillful, clouded mind that led to some lousy behaviors. I guess all we can do is begin again, grounding ourselves in a clear-eyed view of what the teachings require of us.

rohit

Comments

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

I guess all we can do is begin again,

@Dhammika -- No more need be said...

But, if it's any consolation, 1. everyone has regrets and 2. to my way of thinking, the precepts are not something anyone might actually keep; rather, they are reminders in the times when anyone does and will continue to act in opposition to what might be called "our better angels." Get it straight: You WILL break the precepts, which, nevertheless, are excellent pointers.

But you said it all: "begin again."

Best wishes.

lobster
  • ajhayesajhayes Pema Jinpa Dorje Northern Michigan Veteran

I look at where I was, where I am, and where I want to be. Oftentimes, I find that even if I've made a little progress toward where I want to be I am happier than where I was.

Give yourself credit for how far you've come, rather than beating yourself up for how far you have to go. That sort of thinking helps me to progress better than negativity.

rohit
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

@Dhammika said:
    I guess all we can do is begin again

On the meditative level, all moments, like the practitioners themselves, are continually beginning again....

but

on the practical level, a practice often may include looking for some skillful means to resolve any of the suffering that your past actions have instigated.

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    edited August 2015

@genkaku said:
    But, if it's any consolation, 1. everyone has regrets and 2. to my way of thinking, the precepts are not something anyone might actually keep; rather, they are reminders in the times when anyone does and will continue to act in opposition to what might be called "our better angels." Get it straight: You WILL break the precepts, which, nevertheless, are excellent pointers. But you said it all: "begin again."

I agree, begin again. But don't toss aside the Precepts so cavalierly. When you go on a long journey it's wise to take and heed a map. Most of us who are serious can keep the Precepts reasonably well, though none of us are perfect.

• Will_BakerWill_Baker Vermont Veteran

@Dhammika said:
    How do you live with the worst, most selfish, most unskillful actions you've committed in your life - affairs, broken vows, broken precepts, misbehavior, addiction? I thought I was better than that, but woke up a couple of years ago to find out I was not. Working on skillful thinking, as opposed to the unskillful, clouded mind that led to some lousy behaviors. I guess all we can do is begin again, grounding ourselves in a clear-eyed view of what the teachings require of us.

-I forgive myself and then try to do less of what I know I shouldn't and more of what I should. When I forget, I try again...

• Victor is right.
    I forgive you. The Buddha forgives you. Your dog, even if you don't have one forgives you.

Forgive yourself. Past gone.

@Dhammika said:
    I thought I was better than that, but woke up a couple of years ago to find out I was not.

I wake up every morning and accept I am not better or worse, just an average life liver trying to do better ...

That my friend is the key, do your best. <3

DhammikaEarthninjaredapple
  • @Dhammika said> How do you live with the worst, most selfish, most unskillful actions you've committed in your life - affairs, broken vows, broken precepts, misbehavior, addiction? I thought I was better than that, but woke up a couple of years ago to find out I was not. Working on skillful thinking, as opposed to the unskillful, clouded mind that led to some lousy behaviors. I guess all we can do is begin again, grounding ourselves in a clear-eyed view of what the teachings require of us.

Good start. B)
    First, we admit we are not where we want to be, yet. Then we forgive ourselves and have a chuckle that the road isn't so smooth after all. If we have upset someone else, we ask for forgiveness from him/ her or them. This external forgiveness is up him, her or them. Whether given or not, don't take it personally. :3 That is a reflection of the other person's or persons' life condition. o:)>:)

Now for the oft repeated:

Take life serious but don't take yourself as serious.

Honor yourself and honor others as much.

Breath!

Everyone trips now and again on this path of life. Each time you fall down, just pick yourself back up, dust yourself off, and take the next step, no matter how small. :3:) We are not striving to be better because we are perfect; we are striving to be better because we are human, "warts and all". Welcome to the club human, though you never left. <3

lobster
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@Dhammika said:
    How do you live with the worst, most selfish, most unskillful actions you've committed in your life.....

Day by day.
    _ /\ _

lobster
  • @Dhammika said:
    I guess all we can do is begin again, grounding ourselves in a clear-eyed view of what the teachings require of us.

Sometimes we are 'buddha shmuck' rather than Buddha Maitriya

... no requirements, just inspiration and better directions ...

Victoriousmmo
  • Bonnie St. John was in 1st place in the slalom after the first run at Innsbruck. But by the second run the course was very icy, and there was a spot where every skier fell. Bonnie was beaten by a skier who got up faster, not who was a faster skier. Reflecting on her silver medal, she famously said:
    1. Everybody falls.
    2. Winners get up.
    3. Gold medal winners get up VERY fast.

Try not to stay down long. There are races to go win.

silverrohitlobsterVictorious
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

@Dhammika said:
    How do you live with the worst, most selfish, most unskillful actions you've committed in your life - affairs, broken vows, broken precepts, misbehavior, addiction?

By vowing to never do such things again. :)

• ZeroZero Veteran
    edited August 2015

@Dhammika said:

Gratefully - that you are able to see these issues whereas contemporaneously, they were not apparent and now that you do see the issue, to ensure that your acknowledgment is genuine and to implement successfully the viable alternative - you're far from alone.

Dhammika
  • Thank you all. This forum is a blessing.

yagrDavidmmo