Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditation Experience.

I've been meditating daily for around a year now and last week I had an odd experience, I do hope someone here could help me understand it.

I can't remember how long this meditation session was but at some point a garden came to mind and the thought would move on. I saw it so vividly, I began to walk around this garden in my mind while my physical body remained still. After a while the garden began to fade and I went back to meditating normally.

On another two occasions I have ended up in this garden in my mind and feel a strong connection to it.

I've heard of astral projection but never tried to achieve it, Is it possible it is astral projection and if so why do I find my way back to the same place.

Any help would be great, even just a point in the right direction. Thank you.

Blessings.

Earthninja

Comments

• NerimaNerima Veteran

Hello and welcome.
    I think it's incredible you have been able to meditate everyday so over a year. I wish I can say that.
    I don't know anything about astral projections. But I do find that it's easier to meditate in nature, such as a beach or quiet garden.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Hello Blayne, B)

What sort of meditation? Do you have a sangha or teacher?

Such visions (a garden is common) are experienced in 'drifting', the meditation practiced by dervishes.
    http://www.sufischool.org/practises/muraqabah.html

Here is something about what the garden might represent in Buddhist terms
    http://chippit.tripod.com/garden.html

A garden might be a Pureland, an arising of no import, an indication of monkey mind throwing up projections etc.

In some magical or visionary/visualisation based Mahayana Dharma one might work with such arisings. Personally I would consider them of no importance and carry on.

Hope that is helpful.

• upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited July 2015

@lobster said:
    consider them of no importance and carry on.

and if interested read http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/abhidhamma.pdf

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited July 2015

Yeah. But it's a book. It will take ages. And it's somewhat advanced, too. It depends how long you have been practising BUDDHISM as to whether it will appeal or turn you off completely.

Download it, grab a coffee and a sandwich, and read. See what you think.

Just warning you, @Blayne ...

Steve_B
  • @lobster said: In some magical or visionary/visualisation based Mahayana Dharma one might work with such arisings. Personally I would consider them of no importance and carry on.

Have you any links or resources that could help me work with such arisings?

Blessings.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Not wise to 'go there' if you are a relative novice....

How long have you been practising Buddhism?
    Any particular tradition...?

• I haven't subscribed to any tradition as of yet. I've been practising for a year now. Meditating daily, Following the precepts and trying to incorporate buddhism into every part of my life.

Earthninjawoods93rohit

Well sorry to be blunt, but I honestly suggest you carry on incorporating for a while longer, yet....

The Buddha stated that his main if not sole objective was to teach the Origin of Suffering and the Transcendence of Suffering.

Study the 4NT and the 8Fold path.
    Before you say you've read them, bear in mind that eminent scholars and practitioners studied them - and study them still - for perhaps many years....

Your meditation has happened to include several mind-patterns, but honestly, they are, while entertaining, a distraction and diversion.
    Look, observe, take note, enjoy even - but release, let go, and allow these 'visions' to arise and then dissipate.

Truly, in the end, they are of no great vital or important significance.

lobstersilverrohit
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

Some spiritual disciplines pursue such experiences. "Shamanic journeying" for example. But in Buddhism, it's really not seen as something valuable to do. It's not good or bad, but it's considered unproductive.

federicasilverrohit
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@Blayne said:
    Have you any links or resources that could help me work with such arisings?

No.

My internet magical skills have been removed.

Sorry. :3

federicasilver
  • I have had "visions" of places while meditating... like sitting in a grass field in nice weather .... but its just a fragment of your imagination... the mind can come up with all kinds of sensory creations.... if your goal in meditation is to create these worlds ... that's up to you... if your goal is to get the mind to settle down and be focused .... on the breath or a single point in the body.... but Im guessing theres no insightful meaning in your "garden" ... just a thought world you created.... could be a focus to concentrate on... this garden of yours... but its a sense perception.... nothing more

silver
  • Steve_BSteve_B Veteran

If a lovely garden appeared while I was meditating (or doing anything, for that matter) I should think I'd be happy to amble in and be at peace. Seems like a pretty harmless, wholesome place to spend your time.

• pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited July 2015

@Steve_B said:
    If a lovely garden appeared while I was meditating (or doing anything, for that matter) I should think I'd be happy to amble in and be at peace. Seems like a pretty harmless, wholesome place to spend your time.

That is just fine so long as one doesn't get too attached to it and get upset if the opposite happens. All experiences are impermanent and are not worth holding on to.

upekkafederica
  • upekkaupekka Veteran

@Blayne said:
    I had an odd experience, I do hope someone here could help me understand it.

I can't remember how long this meditation session was but at some point a garden came to mind . I saw it so vividly, After a while the garden began to fade and I went back to meditating normally.

On another two occasions I have ended up in this garden in my mind and feel a strong connection to it.

if 'we' can see 'something' vividly it means we have seen it before, in this life time or in a previous life time

however now 'it is just a perception' in the mind and there is 'nothing' we can grasp with other five sense doors

that perception (which is in the mind) is not staying in the mind too
    that is because perception is impermanent

therefore anything we think about it or talk about it is ................

rohit
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran

Heart Sutra

• Only thing I can tell you is that if you don't receive merit as a result of (buddhist) practice, you can know that you are not practicing properly. If you are "Theravada" buddhist, I don't know anything about it.( sorry! ) but if you are Mahayana buddhist, this is the basic of the practice I learned. 1.self-reflection 2. repentance 3. resolution 4. action.
    Wishing you finding the right Buddhist path.

• sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran

@Blayne could you elaborate more on the quality of your experience Between interludes of Garden? That is, could you describe what qualities of mind are involved when you say "went back to meditating normally" ?

• I'll be surprised if Blayne comes back.

@Steve_B said:
    I'll be surprised if Blayne comes back.

Yes, I second that. It seems unlikely, particularly as it's possible we didn't tell him "what he wanted to hear"....

If @Blayne DOES come back, I would be both delighted by his return, and to re-open the thread...

This discussion has been closed.