Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Right View

what do you know about right view and Noble Right View?

are they same?

or

is there any difference?

if so what is the difference or what are the differences?

Comments

• EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

Sounds like semantics to me. Like god and God(this one the followers exert huge belief) or truth and Truth.

From what I remember right view was more accurately translated as skilful view.
    "Right" was a poor English translation which gives arise to "wrong" view. But it was never Right View. Closer to most skillful view. I think this was Sanskrit translation.

Noble Right View sounds like the same guys who write about Lord Buddha. Buddha is a title anyway, not sure why they had to make him a Lord. I guess to deify and make him a religious idol. Much like Lord Jesus or God.
    Make them beyond mere mortals reach.
    But I'm just playing with this idea. :) not sure where this Noble Right View came from. Id wager a poor and over religious translation

rohitnamarupa
  • After an exchange in another thread I googled it. Here is what I got.

"And what is the right view that has fermentations, sides with merit, & results in acquisitions? 'There is what is given, what is offered, what is sacrificed. There are fruits & results of good & bad actions. There is this world & the next world. There is mother & father. There are spontaneously reborn beings; there are priests & contemplatives who, faring rightly & practicing rightly, proclaim this world & the next after having directly known & realized it for themselves.' This is the right view that has fermentations, sides with merit, & results in acquisitions."

"And what is the right view that is without fermentations, transcendent, a factor of the path? The discernment, the faculty of discernment, the strength of discernment, analysis of qualities as a factor for Awakening, the path factor of right view in one developing the noble path whose mind is noble, whose mind is free from fermentations, who is fully possessed of the noble path. This is the right view that is without fermentations, transcendent, a factor of the path."

pegembaraupekka
  • My teacher says there was a difference. You would have to watch her youtube teachings to figure it out yourself. Both a good thing and a bad thing is that I don't understand everything my teacher teaches so I cannot explain it. But my teacher says the view is drastically shifted in going from ordinary 'self help' to NOBLE 8 fold path. If you want to watch her stuff youtube Lama Shenpen Hookham.

• There is the so called mundane right view which sides with merit & results in acquisitions. This is what many lay Buddhist practise namely dana(generosity) and sila(virtue).

Then there is the transcendent right view which opens for those who has attained the path. Things are then seen in terms of the 4NT (suffering and its cessation) and the 3 characteristics(impermanence, unsatisfactoriness and egolessness).

Earthninjaupekka
  • as human beings, specially people who know Buddhism (Buddha's Teaching) by now the most important thing in life is to get Noble Right View

our target should be 'getting Noble Right View'

we have heard, read, discuss enough of Dhamma

what is not enough is practicing Dhamma

to practice Dhamma we have the instruments with us namely eye, ear, nose, tongue, body and mind
    and
    always we get colours, sounds, smells, tastes, tactiles (patavi, thejo, vayo) and thought

just try to see what happens to us "when the internal facalty (eye) touch external faculty (colour) and relevent consciousness (eye consciousness) arise"

in Buddha's Teaching it says 'seeing' happens just stop at seeing
    but
    for us we see 'something or some one'
    this something or some one is the perception comes from within

just try and see with wisdom

Earthninjapegembara
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

Thanks @upekka that clears up the difference well. :)

In seeing, only seeing.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@pegembara said:> Then there is the transcendent right view which opens for those who has attained the path. Things are then seen in terms of the 4NT (suffering and its cessation) and the 3 characteristics(impermanence, unsatisfactoriness and egolessness).

Yes, transcendent right view refers to the development of insight and wisdom.

• bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran
    edited September 2015

This is how I understood right view and wrong view. Before I discovered the teachings of anatta I had wrong view, I believed that I had a permanent unchanging self and that this self was 'I' and mine, but when I discovered the Buddhas teaching of anatta I saw that there was not a self to be found, I saw with right understanding that what I called a self is actually impermanent, suffering, and not-self, believing that there is a self and what belongs to a self is wrong view.

"Bhikkhus, form is not-self. Were form self, then this form would not lead to affliction, and one could have it of form: 'Let my form be thus, let my form be not thus.' And since form is not-self, so it leads to affliction, and none can have it of form: 'Let my form be thus, let my form be not thus.'

Anatta lakkhana Sutta
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn22/sn22.059.nymo.html

pegembara

@shadowleaver said: Instead, our practice is to perceive everything as it is, without adding or subtracting anything. No expectations and no disagreements with others. Then suffering does not arise.

So how do you do that, practically speaking? It sounds like developing an acceptance of the way things are, but do you have a specific practice to develop that attitude?

• @SpinyNorman said:
    So how do you do that, practically speaking? It sounds like developing an acceptance of the way things are, but do you have a specific practice to develop that attitude?

I think Buddhist meditative practices are designed to help develop that ability to see clearly what is instead of getting lost in our thinking and feeling. I guess you could call it acceptance even though that is not my favorite word as it may imply passivity and inaction.

More specifically we practice with questions: "What is this?", "What am I?", "What is mind?" etc. We do not try to answer those in the head but try to listen to and look at what arises, with humble, non-judging attitude.I feel that the goal of such practice is to develop a kind of center in one's being from which one can observe inner and outer drama, without drowning in it.

Earthninjasilver
  • bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran

Right view is the beginning, middle, and end, of the holy life.

@shadowleaver said:I feel that the goal of such practice is to develop a kind of center in one's being from which one can observe inner and outer drama, without drowning in it.

Yes, that does seem to be the case. A calm, spacious quality of mind perhaps.

• Some wonderful insights guys <3

My feeling is very much to be independent of my opinions, attachments and other tendencies. I feel this is one of the conditions that meditation helps with as others mention. B)

However being (mostly) Mahayana I also like to move to the extremes of the Middle Way to pull people away from their trite indifferent fence sitting clinging. I iz wikid that way ... >:)

Of course being off course or wearing a bad buddha boy mask is not for the faint hearted hinayanist, who will to be kind, drag us back to the Middle. o:)

So right view is consensus based, Noble Right View is for Buddhist aristocrats and the Panoramic View is what we find at the top of the mountain.

Cue finale music ...

@lobster said:...not for the faint hearted hinayanist...

You really need some medical help for that Hinaphobia, you can probably get aversion therapy under the National 'Elf Service. ;)

Earthninjalobster