Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just for fun: the random, useless announcements thread!

Comments

• I hope I pasted the image correctly.
    A friend of mine shared it with me. The visual reminds me that my self-growth and progress can be messy and definitely not linear...

Walker
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

"Fake it 'til you make it".... ;)

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Yes, definitely, sometimes 1 step forward and 2 back, sometimes going right off track.
    At least it's not boring though!

• @federica said:
    "Fake it 'til you make it".... ;)

Yes. I have to try this for my baking skills.

@SpinyNorman said:
    Yes, definitely, sometimes 1 step forward and 2 back, sometimes going right off track.
    At least it's not boring though!

Like a new adventure everyday!

Vastmind
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

I take the kids to the roller skating rink all the time...but I haven't got on the floor in years....so...today, I'm dusting off my quads, and going for what I know.

Wish me luck....

• Rowan1980Rowan1980 Keeper of the Zoo Asheville, NC Veteran

@DhammaDragon said:
    I was trying to teach my cat how to deal with existential ponderings...

My two kitties would beg to differ. They feel that they are the Gods of our household. ;)

WalkerBuddhadragonlobster
    edited September 2015

Yep. I'm old. All the 7-13 yr olds about knocked me over on their roller blades. Everyone over 40 had the quads, and I'm not talking speed skates...I'm talking the Chicago style. Any old rollers here? ...anyway...

It is NOT like riding a bike.

1 hour and 2 falls = TKO.

I popped 2 Tylenol's, and went and got my shoes out the cubby. hahahaha

I may have got off the rink...but I still hit the dance floor on their ass!! I can superman and still hustle with the best of them.
    Had a great time...and for about 50 mins..it felt like middle school all over again....
    Wind in my hair....switch in my hip...and feelin' cooler than ice....

This is going to hurt in the morning.

silverJeffreyWalkerlobster
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Some people are just not a natural on skates - any kind - that's me! My best friend in school and her sister were awesome - total naturals. I can barely stand up and they're out there dancing ever so gracefully. Hey at least you tried.
    B)

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited September 2015

@Vastmind

A number of years ago my daughter discovered roller blading and convinced me to drag out my old roller skates to go out with her. In there day, these were top of the line roller skates with custom bearings and soft outdoor wheels..but I guess 20 years of closet storage had allowed some structural decay within the boot. 10 minutes into a race with her, just as my groove was coming back, the entire structure holding all four wheels separated from one boot and I left a smears of blood and skin on the street until I stopped tumbling..

Be content that just a couple Tylenols is enough for you..

VastmindRowan1980
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Don't sweat it... I used to be able to swim 50 lengths in the pool... I can barely manage a width now....! :lol:

• Glad you are up and about and meeting whales. How wonderful. <3

@how said: Just came back from biking in Vancouver where a visiting grey whale was feeding and slowly swimming for half an hour right beside the sea wall I was riding on.

You are so lucky! I've had similar experiences with curious seals, and even the odd porpoise, but a whale - wow! How big was he/she roughly?

• howhow Veteran Veteran

@SpinyNorman

It seemed bus sized to me.

If you goggle..Two grey whales spotted in Vancouver today... there is a pretty good photo of it with people on the foreshore bike path for scale. It says there were two whales but I only saw one during my ride. It was so close beside the beach for much of the time I was concerned about it beaching itself.

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2015/10/grey-whale-spotted-in-vancouver-for-4th-day-in-a-row-photos-videos/

It's really big! Do they usually come in so close to the shore? I've heard of porpoises beaching occasionally on the coast where I live.

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited October 2015

Bit of a bleak possibility. While I have had a breaching humpback whale nearly land on top of our Kayak close to shore, whales usually don't choose to hang out inside of a busy shipping port.

Whale behavior has been changing on the West coast of North America in the last couple of years. We have had a large blob of water extending all the way from Alaska to southern California for the last couple of years that is a couple of degrees warmer than usual. (That amount of average sea temp change is huge).
    Much of the whale food is (which fares poorly in warmer water) has been moving away from it's traditional territory while domoic acid levels in the sea from toxic algae growth has been increasing and killing marine life. (Climate change)
    Over 28 whales carcasses have been found off the Alaska/BC coast since May 11/15

While this particular whale sighting was fabulous but I do wonder what has a whale choose to continually maneuver through with a flotilla of motor boats to look for food in an industrial port.

• A couple of days ago I was walking my bike along a newly accessible part of a local river that feeds into the Thames. In the distance caught in a low hanging branch over the water was a bright piece of blue plastic pollution. Probably a plastic bag. Wouldn't it be wonderful if that unfortunate by product of London urbanisation was a kingfisher I mused as I approached. However I had been fortunate enough to see him twice that day, flashing by in a blur of blue irridescence that steals the moment. So I did not get out my camera as I approached.

I knew a rope from a snake. Plastic from real. The bag even seemed to be suggesting the deceptive illusion of a sharp fishing beak. How ironic. Then the 'river pollution' in a flurry of intense shining plumage was flying upstream in bright sunlight, hunting for fish as only kingfishers do.

federica
  • Wonderful news @federica <3

It is, @lobster. I'm sure I will get more hours, even though it means an actual reduction of 2 hours (15 definite, against 17, former intended) I know that O/T is a virtually written guarantee.... What's more, as a permanent member of staff, I now have certain other 'privileges' open to me, whereas before, on a "temporary" rolling contract, I could not, for example, buy shares, or participate in the Staff pension scheme.... All good!

And a bigger staff discount?! Start buying ice-cream!

lobstersilver
  • You earned it @fredrica. <3

That is good news indeed.

Peace to you

Thanks, @Lionduck .... :)

@SpinyNorman said:
    And a bigger staff discount?! Start buying ice-cream!

Actually, the currently discount is extremely generous, and we get it ON TOP of any reductions, sale items or promotions. It's not rare to achieve better than a 50% reduction at times.... And with our new "Sparks" reward Card, launched last week, we really....

Oh hang on...
    ..It's ok.
    Not at work any more.
    Aaaaand..... relaxxxxx......

:D

DairyLamahowVastmindlobster
  • Through no fault of my own we were at a lobster family gathering and some were watching the rugby (a sort of football with a pointy ball). Someone made a comment that one of the players was 'a pansy'. I then commented that one player who was wearing some sort of protective hat 'was a puffter' ... which i think shocked everyone ...

Pansy and puffter are english archaic terms for 'effeminate homosexual' :3

We iz bad! Kind thoughts to 'lobsters support for the terminally homophobic' (a registered disability) which I will pass on to my shameful fellow crustys.

Yeah Aunt Fede!!!! Good for you!!

@federica

• From the picture, free rhinoplasty. :p

Vastmindsilver

She sure knows how to pick one....

lobsterWalkerLionduckVastmind
  • mmommo Veteran

Does anyone here use buddhism stackexchange?

Never heard of ^^ it ^^ ....until now.....

• mmommo Veteran

I also find it just today. Content looks interesting, just want to share in case if you guys want to try.

• @mmo said:
    Does anyone here use [buddhism stackexchange]?

Like fedrica, I never heard of before now.
    I took a look..
    It looks interesting, but I doubt I'll have time to wander through it.

• mmommo Veteran

I gone to kathina robe offering ceremony at Birmingham peace pagoda today. It was nice. Nice food, friendly people and etc. ;)

DairyLamalobster

I went to one of those in Cambridge. Lots of Thais were there and they made this yummy curry, I went back several times for more, mindfully of course.

mmolobster
  • mmommo Veteran

This one I went is Burmese. There are a lot of Burmese, also a few Indians, Sri Lankan and some white people too. It is fairly easy to get there, even if you don't drive. I go to Birmingham by train and bus 80 leaves right in front of the station. Some other Buddhist temples I know, like Warwick Thai forest hermitage and amaravati are not on bus route, they are in proper countryside.

edited November 2015

Yes, I've been to Amaravati for retreats, I had to get a taxi from Hemel bleedin' Hempstead station which cost an arm and a leg, still mustn't grumble, it's only money.
    At Amaravati they don't give you an evening meal, just chocolate and cheese, I used to take a secret stash of chocolate, always best to be mindfully prepared..... I'm not sure why chocolate and cheese, some monkish thing about milk being OK I think. The monks do lovely chanting though, like plainsong.

mmo
  • mmommo Veteran

I know what you mean. I will need to book for a taxi early and see how it goes. I am going to amaravati for 5 days retreat next weekend. ;) it will be good to talk to some people at the retreat for sharing the return taxi.

You mean they don't give you meals in the evening? Yes I am aware of that. Just eat enough in the lunch time. Did you also take pillows? Or do they give one.

Poeple from my work are always out of country when on holidays. They ask me what I am doing and I said I am going for a silent retreat. They give me such a strange look. Anyway, I am hoping to learn from proper meditation teacher.

• ^^^ When I was planning my escape from Amaravarti Maximum Security Monastery, I plotted a route through the woods to Hemel Hempstead rail station. It was a very pleasant walk. Took about an hour and a half.

You could use gps, email the monastery for the best route or ask for a monk with extreme Mahayanic tendencies to give you a piggy back ...

Here to help o:)

mmo
    edited November 2015

@lobster said: ^^^ When I was planning my escape from Amaravarti Maximum Security Monastery, I plotted a route through the woods to Hemel Hempstead rail station. It was a very pleasant walk. Took about an hour and a half.

I wondered about using an old motorbike like Steve McQueen in The Great Escape.

lobstermmo

@mmo said: You mean they don't give you meals in the evening? Yes I am aware of that. Just eat enough in the lunch time. Did you also take pillows? Or do they give one.

They do have beds and pillows and things but I think you have to take your own towels.
    Don't forget the secret stash of snacks.

Or earplugs. The earplugs are really important.

@SpinyNorman said: I wondered about using an old motorbike like Steve McQueen in The Great Escape.

Great. There's the tune I can't get out of my head now....!
    Do you know the identity of the actor chasing Steve McQueen on his motorbike?

It was none other than Steve McQueen. The original motorbike rider really couldn't keep up with him....
    So they had to impose and splice. Clever bit of editing, for those days...

• @federica said:
    Or earplugs. The earplugs are really important.

Yes some of the sermons are really boring :chuffed:

Here to help o:)

WalkerDairyLamammo
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited November 2015

I went to visit the Queen of Thailands official UK garden shed yesterday. There is a royal paddle boat for the duck pond and here is one of the waiters recommending some barbecue dish or other ... maybe some sort of bizarre roast lion dish ... not sure what aristocrats eat ...

Luckily all the compulsory residents were busy being Hinayanic with the local meditators, so I had the grounds to myself, apart from some noisy Catholic builders who felt it was amusing to make animal noises ...

mmoDairyLamaWalkerBuddhadragon

Whereabouts is that?

In Wimbeldon then? Did you see any wombles?

lobster
  • Yes in Wimbledon near Womble territory. The Pope has his London residence nearby, Haile Selassie, the first reluctant Kingsman (Rastafarian) A religion that focuses on reaching zion, bringing down Babylon, and worshiping jah Rastafari using marijuana to meditate has a statue on part of Wimbledon common. There is also a sufi circle nearby. Most people come to worship the local raquet ...
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/wimbledon-2015-novak-djokovic-and-the-buddhist-temple-minutes-from-centre-court-that-helps-him-10366257.html

• Hey @lobster! What a site! First the temple, than unwashed, socks then a tennis player with a psyche for anger management. Finally, the 10 most criminally underrated online movies. <3

I don't follow tennis much - reminds me of the old Pong game. :)>:)o:)

Humor aside, the article was interesting.