Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Sanscrit Script Help

When I first read the Dhammapada, verse 46 immediately resonated with me and has since come to represent a lot of what Buddhism has taught me. I have decided to have its translation in Sanskrit tattooed on my back along my spine. However I have only been able to find a trustworthy translation in Devanagari Script, so I was wondering if one of you lovely experienced people would help me in accurately translating it?

Comments

• Like a tattoo it does not mean anything. O.o

Verse 46: One who knows that this body is impermanent like froth, and comprehends that it is insubstantial like a mirage will cut the flowers of Mara (i.e., the three kinds of vatta or rounds), and pass out of sight of the King of Death.

Live Long and Pass Out ... eh Prosper ... <3

• Sorry I meant the sanskrit translation, I know the english phrase but I would like to know how to write it using sanskrit script

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

You may have more success googling.
    AFAIK, nobody here speaks sufficient authentic sanskrit to be able to give you an accurate literal image...

That's a very long quotation... I'm not sure who you'd find who could do it accurately and within the allotted space... I wouldn't trust anyone to write on my back. many of them seem to have difficulty with English, let alone Sanskrit....

• AjeevakDharmanaAjeevakDharmana Explorer
    edited September 2015

As far as i know there is no Sanskrit script... In ancient days it was written in Brahmi script but presently Indians use Devnagari script to write Sanskrit as well as Pali.... Devnagari and many other Indian scripts have evolved from Brahmi script....

lobster
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran

Pali seems like an appropriate language/script selection for this text.

Why not in your favorite English rendition? To be exotic you could even just make a visual representation of the passage ... less is more