Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditating while pregnant?

Hello everyone. I have a friend whom I work with who just found out that she is pregnant. I have introduced meditation to her. My question is, if she continues (and I hope she does) how long could she continue to meditate while being pregnant? ~Namaste =) medita

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

post-delivery.

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

I don't see why she shouldn't be able to meditate right up until she gives birth?

If comfort is an issue, it is perfectly ok to meditate sitting upright in a chair.

lobsterEarthninja
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I wasn't fortunate enough to be involved in Buddhism when I was pregnant with either daughter (had my youngest in '91, met Buddhism head-on in 1992....) but I know a lady who's also Buddhist, who meditated right into her labour... so when the 2nd stage came up, she was so relaxed and calm, the doctor attending her stated that it was almost as if her head belonged to another body... her body was doing all the tough work, while her head seemed detached and serene.

('detached' in a good way!)

Hypnosis has been used as a form of pain control; Meditation is a way of controlling one's own mind and choosing specific mental pathways.
    Meditation will doubtless be beneficial during pregnancy; it's something she could also consider during labour itself.
    Hence my response above.

Bunks
  • I always wondered how the lotus born came into this world ... :3

http://www.meditationoasis.com/2012/04/25/pregnancy-meditation-connecting-with-your-baby/

• Thank all of you for your responses. The person in question has told me that she has a family history of high blood pressure, and it makes me happy for her to
    start on what hopefully will be a life time practice.

BunksVastmind
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I see no reason she couldn't just keep doing it forever. If I remember right, there is research to support a habit of meditation in dealing with child labor and delivery, and the hormone rush that accompanies it after the birth. It can only help!

• EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

Check out hypnobirthing. :) my wife is doing it.
    It's self hypnosis and meditation, you do it before, during and after birth :)