Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Calming your computer

NamadaNamada Veteran
edited October 2015 in Buddhism Today

Its easy to get kidnapped and carried away by your computer, (its often my work place) its steals your brain, and let you run all over the place, if you are not aware.

Do you know how to calm your computer?
or do you just throw it away when you had enough?

Iam now using this video more often, its helpfull...

ShoshinBunks

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

i like that....

• NamadaNamada Veteran
    edited October 2015

its simple and calming :)

• NamadaNamada Veteran
    edited October 2015

Thats really nice :) So instead of one buddha figure you just use your Ipad or computer putting many diffrent pictures in a slideshow...thats smart, I will try that on my shrine as well and see how it goes :)

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Whenever the seasons change, I take time to do cleanses in my life. That includes my computer and internet stuff. I deactivate my accounts (so I don't get notifications on my phone) and stay off the computer except for checking email twice a day, mostly in case I need to address something with my kids' school, as their communication is all by email. I attend to business, and nothing more. It's really nice to do. Coming back to it is like coming back to normal life after a great vacation or rejoining the grind after time in solitude.

dantepwBunkssilver
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

The guys who put that candle meditation together (The Honest Guys) have some other lovely and relaxing meditations on YouTube.

• The computer is empty until we use it to form a skilful means.

For example I just did a one minute meditation using the computers timer. For good measure I tagged on an hour just to impress a void or two ...

What is your screensaver and background? Wot no Buddhas? Does your computer not have social media or online sangha?
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treeleaf_Zendo

Wot no speakers for mantra?
    http://www.ommanipadmehum.com
    OM MANI IPAD ME HUM

• When all else fails, a good hammer does the trick. <3

The candle video was nice and the 'lobstercams' were interesting.

Oh oh! The mice are climbing the vidscrees again...they just don't learn.

lobsterDandelion
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@karasti said: I deactivate my accounts (so I don't get notifications on my phone) and stay off the computer except for checking email twice a day, mostly in case I need to address something with my kids' school, as their communication is all by email.

E-mail is useful but I find the need to check it regularly can be an excuse to get on the internet sometimes.... ;)

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I don't have a problem setting down the computer and leaving it for a long time. My problem is my phone, lol. I have it with me all the time (have to) and it's hard to break the habit of checking email the second I get a notification. But generally school emails come at the same time every day, so I check at those times and nothing more. Usually twice a day. Before school in the morning, and a little after school in the afternoon. All of my bill pay reminders and stuff come to email, too, and I need those, lol.

It's amazing how much of your day you free up when you get off those things. I actually tracked what I did with my time for a few days and while I knew I spent plenty of time on the computer once the kids left for school, I was astounded at what it added up to. So i try to do better with that now because I had a lot of excuses of things I didn't do because I "didn't have time" when quite obviously I had lots of time.

Dandelion
  • The modern cell phone is the equivalent of a choke chain for humans. Its...sorry, I have to answer this.. :3<3

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Lionduck said: The modern cell phone is the equivalent of a choke chain for humans. Its...sorry, I have to answer this.. :3<3

Yes, they make people neurotic and terribly unmindful.

lobster
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Its easy to get kidnapped and carried away by your computer. (Its often my work place) its steals your brain, and let you run all over the place, if you are not aware.

Here's a video that captures some of the wrath a computer can generate. If you don't watch it all, at least skip to the end and its pistol-packin' punchline.

• This is so abusive. Sorry, If this is how the father reacts to that letter, then I believe that she should leave the family immediately. What a bad self-righteous and abusive man. This has nothing to do with the computer and I wonder why anyone would post something like this, especially on a buddhist forum. It is so bad.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Because, @Rite, it is an indicator of how people permit outside factors to affect them internally.
    I think it's an excellent example of someone who believes himself to be in control, but is far from it.
    If you listen to what the daughter wrote, and the disrespect she showed her parents and the employee they have given a job to, it's an indication of how warped the views of everyone, are.

It's a lesson in Respect, compassion, kindness, communication and love.

It's a lesson to everyone, whichever way you look at it.

• RiteRite New
    edited March 2016

I understand that it is not about the computer.

If I see the father acting, I can hardly believe that he ever was kind and caring towards her. His action is a demonstration of power. Her letter posted privately on facebook is a demonstration of helplessness. He is the person in charge. He is the adult. If parents treat their kids disrespectfully then kids learn to be disrespectful. Putting it as if her disrespectful behaviour was triggering his anger - is of course to some extent correct - but however, to me it seems like shifting the responsibility for this escalation to her. It took me very long to understand that if other people act bad towards me it is not my responsibility but that it is their decision to shout or act disrespectful or aggressive. And this is why I "judge" his behaviour in that way. No matter what she did - not even the letter - can justify his behaviour. As daughter wo is obviously still going to school, she IS at least materially in a dependent situation. That is why I consider his action as abusive.

Anyway :) it is as it is. Some people simply are like this. It's just sad.

I just couldn't relate to it in the context of this forum. Since I felt that it was meant to be funny, which to me it is not.

I completely take the point of your first paragraph, and concur.
    With regard to:

I just couldn't relate to it in the context of this forum. Since I felt that it was meant to be funny, which to me it is not.

How honest would it be if we simply focused on positive, light-hearted happy stuff?
    It would be utterly unrealistic.
    The Buddha's first lesson is on Dukkha.
    That just about sums up three-quarters of the world's perennial mind-set and existence.
    We face such issues head on.
    We do not shy away from reality, and coat it in airy-fairy, pink fluff and glitter-bomb ribbon-bedecked wrapping.

Shit happens.

We can either condemn it and find it unsavoury, or use it around the roses.

How you perceive the misery of others may be an indication of the excessive vulnerability of your sensibilities.
    Your comments are perceptive, but to question its presence on this forum, is puzzling.
    Are you suggesting that just because it's a Buddhist forum, we should never see, discuss or air such issues?

• No, exactly not :) as I said... and maybe misunderstood. It also didn't implicate that everything should be or is rosy and fluffy. This doesn't make much sense as the world is not.

As I said - and maybe I misunderstood - to me it seemed as if it was meant to be a joke. Like - this is what taking computers too serious can do to you - lol. This kind of humour at the expenses of other peoples suffering I didn't expect on such a forum. Even more since the situation there didn't have anything to do with the original question.

Self-restaging of Dukkha can be funny, if one looks at the absurdity of our egos that pointlessly strive for power, security and immortality. However this kind of humor I don't see in the above comment, nor in the video. The only thing it shows to me is how a father acts abusive towards his daughter and is celebrating it publicly.

Yes, maybe I was hoping because of some other threads that I read here in the last weeks that somehow people who make fun about such behaviour - the specific kind of fun that reflects gloating not understanding - would not be present here :)

But yes, maybe I misunderstood. These were just my thoughts and it was the question that immediately arose. In any case, however it was "meant" by the poster - it doesn't matter - since this is a normal forum and thus nothing else than a reflection of our being.

• Dear friends of the Buddha,

I have ordered a drone attack on my garden Buddha as an act of solidarity.

As it is Easter I also feel a few verses of Kumbaya (Buddhist version) is in order ...

Hear me crying, my Lord, Am mi ta ba;
    Hear me crying, my Lord, kum bay ya;
    Hear me crying, my Lord, kum bay ya,
    O Lord, Am mi ta ba.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kumbaya

@Namada said:
    Thats really nice :) So instead of one buddha figure you just use your Ipad or computer putting many diffrent pictures in a slideshow...thats smart, I will try that on my shrine as well and see how it goes :)

Many thanks, unfortunately some maniac parent has shot my laptop, meanwhile another has blown up the Buddha. What kind of dharma hell hole is this? O.o

• And yes, I am often highly disturbed by the reality of our confusion. I am. Although I have seen so many dark places in me and others. Darkest places actually. Although I usually don't judge them as being "good" or "bad. I couldn't live if I didn't understand how neutral everything that happens is in terms of "nature".

On the other hand, I am again and again falling mentally out of this world if I consciously focus on these things. It is us that do all these things. At the same time I also understand that the father is so far away from understanding about himself that I wonder if he actually has a choice... however, he causes suffering in his daughter and thus actually he would principally have the guide in his confusion that could lead him to some more constructive actions.

It was the video that was disturbing me and maybe the fact that it was left uncommented... not the fact that it was posted on this forum. My first comment was not thought through, but rather an emotional reaction and maybe a wish for commenting, putting a "judgement" , a position, on that video and also hoping for a response :)

Threads often fall by the wayside if something more interesting or topical comes up.
    The post prior to yours is about 6 months old. Other things come up and many threads fade into insignificance (there again, what doesn't....?)

As a by-the-bye, it is common for new members to explore old posts out of interests and revive them. Anything older than a year, is closed off....