Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Surprising meditation experience

BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Yesterday was a lovely sunny day here in Melbourne so I decided to wander down to a little quiet park near my work to sit on my meditation cushion for a bit.

I was a little surprised that there was no-one else around as normally there are one or two others eating lunch and enjoying the sun.

Anyways, I was about 3 mins into a peaceful meditation when I hear from about twenty metres away the rant of an obviously mentally disturbed individual. Unfortunately this has become something not so uncommon in the CBD over the last decade or so.

I open one eye and glance around. The ranting continues and I try to ignore it but realise I can't.

Just as I stand up a wild eyed crazy lady bursts out of the bushes behind me and starts shouting profanities at me and threatens to call the police as this was her private property and I wasn't welcome. (She also accused me of being a sex offender (apparently my mum told her this) and that I raped her daughter!)

I started trying to defend myself verbally but realised it was useless. I kept a wary eye on her while I put my shoes on and took my cushion and split! I must admit I was a little shaken!

Not quite the meditation experience I expected when I left the office but it made me realise you need to be prepared for anything when you put your bum on the cushion! :(

ShoshinEarthninjaInvincible_summerBuddhadragonbookwormCinorjer

Comments

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited October 2015

'Always expect the unexpected' :o

Other acceptable cliches from Grasshoppers Master available on request ... :p

silverBuddhadragon
  • You were wise to just leave and avoid what could have become a trying confrontation. You were seeking peace she was in the hell realms. Sometimes it is as though the harassing Mara's stop by for a visit.

Bunksrohit
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited October 2015

First time? Hahahaha....

The last Temple I attended was across the street from the roughest apartments here. I got used to hearing gunshots...and during walking meditation when you could hear a pin drop...we could have someone walk right in...sit down...walk around...talk...anyway..
    We were expected to keep it movin'. Nothing major ever happened and I gave away dozens of prayer beads after the sit when I would introduce myself.... .glad to hear you avioded a confrontation. It wasn't that serious....so...see?? That few minutes of sitting got you in the right frame of mind.. :) Always best to keep it movin' ...

• EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

@Bunks rookie mistake, always meditate with both eyes open.
    It's also magpie swooping season :p

VastmindsilverWalkerBunks
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Wow, man! Odd surprises can really knock you off-center.
    (Unless you're a kuhl Buddhist like one of us.)
    B)

WalkerBunks
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@Bunks if you think about it we interact with crazy people everyday...we talk with them, sit with them, walk with them, eat with them ....Some just a little more crazy than others :)

You did the right thing by removing yourself from the scene, so as not to create more suffering for the poor woman :)

Zenshin
  • rohitrohit Maharrashtra Veteran
    edited November 2015

We may comes to many obstacles while meditating sometimes laziness,own destracting thoughts and sometimes people.
    Let it go. And just think that incident is one of the mara which is prohabiting you to be enlighten.
    It might be a lesson to practice meditation where no one comes. Most of the time people not alllow you to practice peacefulness.

Bunks
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Did you actually produce your cushion and sit on it, @Bunks?
    Out in the open? In a public park?

Well, you might have struck the lady as much odd as she seemed to you.

I boast of dwelling mindful even in shopping malls, but I do it discreetly.
    I just sit down and close my eyes and breathe.
    I even breathe mindfully through small talk in gatherings.

No cushion, though...

Bunks
  • bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran

Parks are made to be enjoyed, its for everyone, it is a place for relaxation, such as sitting or lying down if you wish, or walking around, or jogging, it is a place you can go to just take load off. I'm planing on going to a park next week to sit down cross legged on the grass next to a tree and close my eyes.