Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Back to the basics....

VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
edited November 2015 in Buddhism Basics

Just a little reminder for myself and anyone who might receive....

Buddhism by the Numbers: The Four Noble Truths

These four truths are called noble because they liberate us from suffering. They are the Buddha’s basic teaching, encapsulating the entire Buddhist path.

One : Suffering

Life always involves suffering, in obvious and subtle forms. Even when things seem good, we always feel an undercurrent of anxiety and uncertainty inside.

Two : The Cause of Suffering

The cause of suffering is craving and fundamental ignorance. We suffer because of our mistaken belief that we are a separate, independent, solid “I.” The painful and futile struggle to maintain this delusion of ego is known as samsara, or cyclic existence.

Three : The End of Suffering

The good news is that our obscurations are temporary. They are like passing clouds that obscure the sun of our enlightened nature, which is always present. Therefore, suffering can end because our obscurations can be purified and awakened mind is always available to us.

Four : The Path

By living ethically, practicing meditation, and developing wisdom, we can take exactly the same journey to enlightenment and freedom from suffering that the buddhas do. We too can wake up.

-- http://www.lionsroar.com/buddhism-by-the-numbers-the-four-noble-truths/

lobsterEarthninjakarastiDhammikasilverKundoWalkerDavidBunksShoshinyagrrohitNamadaElizsova

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

We just went back and covered them in our sangha meeting last weekend as well :)<3

sova
  • Appreciated.

sova
  • WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

Thanks for the reminder @Vastmind. =)

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

It's interesting @Vastmind , I see the 4NTs as part & parcel of daily practice and 'always' relate daily experiences to these truths....so as to become fluent ie, where they are no longer foreign concepts.....

sova
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

People often want to skip ahead without ever fully understanding the First Truth.

bookwormrohitsova
  • We of a Hinayana persuasion like to work on the path set out by the Buddha elders:

Just to remind:

Right worry about the world
    Right sorting out worldly problems
    Right remaining ignorant
    Right making lots of money
    Right living a wasteful life
    Right hate

eh ...
    ... wait ... wait ... I got it all wrong again :3
    http://secularbuddhism.org/2013/05/03/what-is-the-eightfold-path/

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

Good link @lobster . Backs to basics ... Part 2, that was.

• One of the earliest sutras and one of my favourites is 'The Rhinoceros Sutra'
    http://www.hermitary.com/solitude/rhinoceros.html

It is an idealisation of extreme, full time practice. It does however give important pointers, that can be understood and applied to our self reliance. :)

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

^^^ That link got stopped. Sick...with a virus. ?? Norton says...Nah...walk on, Rhino...

So...I'll shoot from the hip...we start with the 4NT, and the 8 follow as the path, ....then...an 'idealisation of extreme'....hahaha. Don't know if I can connect those dots...as basic....

I think saying "Do you" right after saying there is no 'I' could be confusing to newbies learning the basics...hahaha I'll read the sutra today during lunch and play the cartoon you usually attach with this, you know the one....and I'll see what I can chew on...

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I can read it, @Vastmind .... I think the problem may be "at your end"....

Vastmind
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2015

Yes, we know. It's a bit like the translation of the word 'Dukkha'. In fact, it's the same with any language, when translating some terms... some, you simply cannot convey the true intention or feeling of, simply by lexicographical or etymological translation.

For example, the Greek 'Kefi'.
    The Italians have 'Allegria'.
    The French, using more than one word already, because translation is a challenge!) say 'Joie de Vivre'.

The English Language has no exact term to adequately convey the sentiment or feeling.
    'Joy of Life' is the literal translation of the French, but the essential, emotional impetus, is distinctly lacking.

So knowing what we know, and understanding that 'right' is not in this case, merely the antonym of 'wrong', 'Right' will have to suffice, because it's familiar and succinct.

However, thanks for your input. It helps in 'joining the dots' and giving a wholesome and more complete elaboration on the subject.

:)

NamadaVastmind
  • bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran

On Treasury of Truth Illustrated Dhammapada by Ven. Weragoda Sarada Thero translates the eight factors of the path this way.

1) Harmonious perspective
    2) Harmonious feeling
    3) Harmonious speech
    4) Harmonious action
    5) Harmonious living
    6) Harmonious practice
    7) Harmonious introspection
    8) Harmonious equilibrium

Moderator Note: This discussion is not about the different interpretations or translations of the Eightfold Path. It is about practice and understanding of the basic primary teachings of the Buddha.
    No further examination of the literal meaning of the Eightfold Path is necessary.

Thank you.

• @Vastmind said:

Four : The Path

By living ethically, practicing meditation, and developing wisdom, we can take exactly the same journey to enlightenment and freedom from suffering that the buddhas do. We too can wake up.

B)
    Good companionship means increasing the inspiration to wake up. We may have a little fun, stumble, be overwhelmed, be unwise, or hindered BUT

We too can wake up.

... not maybe, not perhaps, not theoretically but verified by countless experiential insights across the dharma centuries.

Even Birthday Bodhi Buddha Boy Jesus is good company on occasion:
    King James Bible Mathew 10:16
    Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.

• How do you understand the 8 fold path without interpreting it?

• ^^^ sometimes we come across non dharma scriptures, trivialisations, convoluted justifications or cultist interpretations BUT the closer we stay to our innate purity and understanding (the dove) the more the wise serpent (not all snakes are bad according to Christian Gnostics) integrates and expresses that simple dharma.

For example good sangha are both 'basic' and hence sublime in their expression of dharma. <3

Kundo
  • @lobster said:
    One of the earliest sutras and one of my favourites is 'The Rhinoceros Sutra'
    http://www.hermitary.com/solitude/rhinoceros.html

It is an idealisation of extreme, full time practice. It does however give important pointers, that can be understood and applied to our self reliance. :)

That is the silliest sutra I have read in a long time. I loved it. Thanks for sharing. It deserves its own thread.

I've often pondered on the significance and power of the Noble Truths, and how often what we practice and focus on has nothing whatsoever to do with them.

• Personally I feel Buddhist Basics, expressed as a template in the 8 fold path is a counter measure to the banality, irrelevance and trivia of what life often offers.

I feel it is functional for lay people to increase their simple and complex enjoyment of family friends and [insert pleasure]. More important for me is to resonate and increase the effects of meditation, focus, moral behavour etc.

Buddhism makes me want to be a better person. Iz plan!

silver
  • In a sense, all things and all teachings are aspects of Buddhism for Buddhism is life.

Shoshin
  • ^^^ Potentially, with mindfulness and awareness the value and nature becomes more apparant ... Hence the practice.

silver