Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Emotions

In some dharma strong emotional attachments are considered dukkha. Is it why many cold fish are attracted to this dharma?

I would suggest strong mature emotions are healthy. It is conflicted emotional responses that are the problem.

I would also suggest this maturity is found in dharma. Compassion is just love given a cold name. The arising of positive, unconflicted emotions such as fearlessness, emotional stability, ahimsa, benevolence, nurturing etc are purified arisings ...

Any kind thoughts?

StingRay

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Nobody here has ever stated emotional attachments are dukkha.

Unhealthy clinging to desires, is dukkha.

rohit
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@lobster said:Strong emotional attachments are considered dukkha. Is it why many cold fish are attracted to this dharma?

Exactly the opposite.

• ...strong emotional attachments...

Attachment implies dependence upon an object for joy, pleasure, happiness, safety etc. When the source of that attachment is no longer present then sadness, longing, sorrow, loneliness, just to name a few, can and will arise. That is suffering.

Moreover, emotion does not have some kind of inherently real existence.

Our emotions are the result of our perceptions. The way we perceive the objects of the world. They do not inherently exist. They are objects which appear to the knowing function. Which is inherently without quality. Qualities appear in It (which is intangible) and is a result of it, but itself is never tainted by its contents. But even to say without quality is invalid because qualitylessness is itself a quality. It is and it isn't.

Compassion is just love given a cold name

Compassion that is an emotion is self centered. That is compassion for some self serving purpose.

"I feel good when I help people."

"If I do good I will be blessed."

"I am making good merit."

"I had to help because I felt so sad watching them suffer."

The receiving end may benefit and it may be a kind action but it is still based on self serving, self centeredness.

Whereas natural compassion flows without me, myself and I being involved.

@Tony_A_Simien said:

...strong emotional attachments...

Come on, Tony, stop waffling and get to the point.

• @lobster said:

I would suggest strong mature emotions are healthy. It is conflicted emotional responses that are the problem.

I would also suggest this maturity is found in dharma. Compassion is just love given a cold name. The arising of positive, unconflicted emotions such as fearlessness, emotional stability, ahimsa, benevolence, nurturing etc are purified arisings ...

Any kind thoughts?

it is not bad if there is no hidden agenda or manipulative tricks when expressing (showing out) mature emotions

but we have to be careful about the Time and the Place

• Tony_A_SimienTony_A_Simien Veteran
    edited December 2015

Come on, Tony, stop waffling and get to the point.

Hmmm.....okay.....I've considered your suggestion carefully and here is the most appropriate response which is in perfect alignment with that comment.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

That's highly inappropriate and frankly over-steps the mark, @Tony_A_Simien.

• Tony_A_SimienTony_A_Simien Veteran
    edited December 2015

And his rude comment doesn't? My response is on the same level as that comment. Do what you must.

I already have.

His remark wasn't what one would deem as conversationally offensive.
    Yours was, both literally and figuratively, below the belt.

• what are 'emotions' in Buddhism? Citta?

This may help. Or not. It's late, my mind's befuddled with tiredness.....

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@lobster said, "Any kind thoughts?""

Ask for calm and you get a tussle~* :unamused:

We should tuck Auntie Feddie in with a nice waffle-stitched comforter. <3

• @Jeffrey said:
    what are 'emotions' in Buddhism? Citta?

My understanding is all immature emotions are considered a source of suffering.
    The four sublime states (the Brahma Viharas) are mettaa (loving kindness), karunaa (compassion), muditaa (sympathetic joy) and upekkhaa (equanimity).
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/desilva-p/wheel237.html

In essence our dukkha is clinging to anxieties, fears, angers and hatreds.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”
    Bodhi Jedhi Yoda

Fear the cushion, do not.

Zenshin

@lobster said: My understanding is all immature emotions are considered a source of suffering.

Yes, there is a distinction between skillful and unskillful here.

lobster