Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Tightness and Throbbing at Top of my Head

StingRayStingRay Glasgow Explorer

When I sit to meditate I will turn my awareness to my natural breath and then the entire meditation will be taken over by a Tightness and Throbbing at Top of my Head. I only notice this pain when things get quiet. I have tried to gently release the tightness but does not go away. I simply then go back to my breathing and then my awareness shifts between thoughts my breath and a throb in my head. Will this pain go away if I continue to bring a natural awareness to it during meditation?

Comments

• I don't know. I would try to say more about your meditation ideas and methods and maybe someone on newbuddhist has a suggestion. Personally I would tell my teacher.

So could you describe your meditation? How long has this throbbing been going on?

• WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

Do you experience this sensation at other quiet times, like when you are going to sleep? I'm just wondering if you are experiencing headaches, something physical?

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Go see your doctor - it may be unrelated to meditating.

Walkerdooksta123
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@silver said:
    Go see your doctor - it may be unrelated to meditating.

I second this. With a cherry on the top.

• Are you levitating against the ceiling?

Here to help. o:)

StingRayyagrdooksta123
  • StingRayStingRay Glasgow Explorer

This is more of a subtle tightness type of pain than a strong pain. I only feel it once a lot has fallen away and things become still. I do not feel this at any other times as I would need to give myself "attention" to realise it's there. I only feel this tightness when meditating and i definitely do not over effort as I find myself relaxing into my sittings. I have only started meditation again due to 3 year nappy/diper retreat since my 3rd child came along!
    @walker no I do not feel this pain when going to sleep partly because I am so exhausted by the time I finally get to bed!
    @lobster I better look down in case I am having a yoga moment!

• @StingRay said:
    This is more of a subtle tightness type of pain than a strong pain. I only feel it once a lot has fallen away and things become still. I do not feel this at any other times as I would need to give myself "attention" to realise it's there. !

does it there now?

if not what does it say?

it also is not permanent

when you find that sensation during meditation next time just remind the mind 'this too will pass'

if you can do the above that means you are turning from tranquil meditation (samatha bavana) to Insight meditation (vipassana/vidarsana bavana)

see what will happen

StingRay
  • All I would say is to pay attention to what your body is telling you. If you are aware of something and don't feel that it's right, you should get it checked out.

My persistence with the doctors when I knew something was wrong with me saved my life, despite being sent away by doctors and the hospital a few times.

StingRay
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@StingRay said:
    This is more of a subtle tightness type of pain than a strong pain. I only feel it once a lot has fallen away and things become still. I do not feel this at any other times as I would need to give myself "attention" to realise it's there. I only feel this tightness when meditating and i definitely do not over effort as I find myself relaxing into my sittings. I have only started meditation again due to 3 year nappy/diper retreat since my 3rd child came along!

If you only feel it 'once a lot has fallen away and things become still,' maybe it's just a sign of simply adjusting to the change. Seems to be the biggest clue you have.

StingRay

During both my sittings I became aware that the tightness actuall starts in my upper back, travels up the shoulders. I can feel it up my jaw line until it reached the top of my head. My breath is relaxed I am not straining or over efforting. Could this just be the strain and tension of life stuff that had gone unnoticed during my 3 year absence from meditation and has built up due to lack of mindful awareness ??

I still say pay a visit to your doctor. It could be anything or it could be nothing much more than tight muscles (massage and relaxing warm shower), or it could mean you need to see a chiropractor for an adjustment.

Thanks @silver and everyone else. I better go visit the doc

Walker
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@StingRay said:
    During both my sittings I became aware that the tightness actuall starts in my upper back, travels up the shoulders. I can feel it up my jaw line until it reached the top of my head. My breath is relaxed I am not straining or over efforting. Could this just be the strain and tension of life stuff that had gone unnoticed during my 3 year absence from meditation and has built up due to lack of mindful awareness ??

It's probably more to do with your posture.
    Sit in a different way.
    Or lean against a wall. or wear a travel-sleep cushion around your neck for support.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@StingRay said: During both my sittings I became aware that the tightness actual starts in my upper back, travels up the shoulders. I can feel it up my jaw line until it reached the top of my head.

It could be a problem with posture. For meditation its's good to be both physically and mentally relaxed.

• Tee hee.

During meditation all kinds of things arise, physical sensations are common.
    Here is a song of silence or is that silence in form ...

Walker

I have been meditating laying down recently, it's very relaxing and solves all these silly posture problems. You can also meditating standing up by the way.

lobsterWalkersilver
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited December 2015

^^^ Exactly so. You could even meditate in a headstand as some people used to ... throbbing in the head can be the norm ... ;)

Walking up and down or in circles, prostrations as body awareness, mindfulnes in yoga postures etc get us fidget types used to stillness in motion ...

StingRay

@SpinyNorman said:
    I have been meditating laying down recently, it's very relaxing and solves all these silly posture problems. You can also meditating standing up by the way.

+1, I've been meditating while laying down on a posture-trainer.

In the lost suttas of the Spiny Nikaya the Buddha ( an English gentleman ) attains enlightenment while seated in a comfy chair, drinking a nice cup of tea.

WalkerlobsterStingRay

Wearing a smoking jacket instead of robes, no doubt.

StingRay

Of course, and surrounded by cigarette smoke instead of incense.

StingRay

@lobster said:

@Walker said:

+1, I've been meditating while laying down on a posture-trainer.

What is her name? Is this a tantric thing? o:)

Too wikid lobbie!

This is actually what I was talking about...

lobsterStingRay

Walker
  • Back to naughty corner :3

Walker

The pain in my head has gone away. Not totally as it comes and goes still. It was there in the first place as a result of my stress and unease and I found I was holding it at the top of my head with a tightness and pain. When I become aware of this pain I have been turning my attention to it time and time again and I have softened the areas around it with mindfulness and then I find the pain going. I have also given time to appreciate when it's not there. The more I meditate - mindfulness of the body and breath the more I have loosened the tightness. This tightness was years of stress build up that I only became aware was three thru starting meditation again.

Meta to all

Walkerlobstersilver
  • ^^^
    I think you got it. Bravo.

Life, karma, dealing with those stress inducers ... what are they called ... mmm ... 'people', practically everything is dukkha.

Letting go, relaxing, gently returning to breath, yoga nidra, being at ease etc, all provide the conditions for more subtle arisings:

• euphoria
    • calm
    • contentment
    • metta gone rampant

etc

Don't say you have not been warned ;)

StingRay