Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

repulsiveness of 32 body parts

upekkaupekka Veteran
edited December 2015 in Meditation

does anyone know the correct method of how to do 'repulsive meditation'?

Comments

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited December 2015

There are probably commentaries around, and I think Jayantha did something on it here a while back.
    Check the source material, ie the Satipatthana Sutta: https://suttacentral.net/en/mn10.
    Basically it's a visualisation exercise, you imagine each part in turn.

If you want something more manageable and less gruesome you could try the 4 or 6 element practice applied to the body. The 6-element practice adds space and consciousness to the usual 4, see here where it discusses the 6 elements of a person: https://suttacentral.net/en/mn140
    PS "Property" is perhaps more accurate than "element".

upekka
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

I am attracted to women.

Particularly the derrière.

When I am walking around the city I try and imagine this body part alone being presented to me on a plate and whether I still find that attractive. It helps quell those fires a little. Very helpful as it's currently summer here and the young ladies tend to wear not much of anything!

Walkerupekka
    edited December 2015

Probably be tasty with some mint sauce though. ;)
    Or a nice chianti and some fava beans....

BunksWalker
  • If its presented on a plate are we talking about rump steak?

WalkerBunks
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

Just think of all the mucous, blood, pus and poop floating around in there.

Bunksupekka
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited December 2015

@David said:
    Just think of all the mucous, blood, pus and poop floating around in there.

this is the way Buddha ask(s/ed) us to do to get rid of our attachment to the body internally (of our own) and externally (of body of others)

to get rid of one of the four wrong view (asube suba vipallasa) about perception (sanna)

four vipallasa (wrong views) are
    asube suba
    anatte atta
    dukke suka
    anatte nitta

• @upekka I'm curious, are you actually contemplating trying this type of meditation?

• upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited December 2015

yes

i did

and

i found it fruitful

and

then one can go to contemplate on four elements (eight element- suddhastaka)

that is more effective

to see 'form' (rupa) and emptiness (sunyatha)

contemplative on 32 body parts and eight element are two types of practicing mindfulness of the body in satara-sathi-patthana

• Why? Wasn't this meditation originally designed for celibate young monks who can't stop thinking about pretty girls? Instead of seeing pretty lips and thinking of kissing them, think of vomit and spit coming out of them, etc. Unless you're a celibate monk, what would it do for you?

• @Cinorjer said:
    Why? Wasn't this meditation originally designed for celibate young monks who can't stop thinking about pretty girls? Instead of seeing pretty lips and thinking of kissing them, think of vomit and spit coming out of them, etc. Unless you're a celibate monk, what would it do for you?

it helps one to reduce the attachment to one's own body and attachment to others' bodies

instead of asking question it is advisable to do the repulsive meditation on body parts (32 body parts) and see the results

@upekka said: it helps one to reduce the attachment to one's own body and attachment to others' bodies

Indeed. Some people probably need this more than others.

• @upekka said:

@Cinorjer said:
    Why? Wasn't this meditation originally designed for celibate young monks who can't stop thinking about pretty girls? Instead of seeing pretty lips and thinking of kissing them, think of vomit and spit coming out of them, etc. Unless you're a celibate monk, what would it do for you?

it helps one to reduce the attachment to one's own body and attachment to others' bodies

instead of asking question it is advisable to do the repulsive meditation on body parts (32 body parts) and see the results

Ah. Considering at my age I need no special meditation to see an unattractive bag of aging flesh in my bathroom mirror anymore, I need the opposite. I think I should start on "Everyone is beautiful in their own way" meditation.

Davidlobstershadowleaver
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited January 2016

@Cinorjer said:

Ah. Considering at my age I need no special meditation to see an unattractive bag of aging flesh in my bathroom mirror anymore, I need the opposite. I think I should start on "Everyone is beautiful in their own way" meditation.

yes,
    but it doesn't consider of one's age
    in other words age and gender is irrelevant when lust comes into mind

it says in a sutta that saint sariputta is/was able to see repulsiveness in beautiful 'things' (meditation on patikkule sanna in appatikkula sanna)
    and
    able to see beauty in repulsive 'things' (meditation on appatikkule sanna in patikkule sanna)

Cinorjer