Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What can I do to have wholesome fun?

I mean, if I took the eight precepts, what kind of fun things could I do? May be just things that keeps the mind joyfully occuppied, not outrageously fun...

Shoshinyagr

Comments

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited January 2016

@apathofflowers
    If you took 8 precepts, I would see a doctor if I were you....You never know what type of side effects from taking so many would have on one's body & mind... And we don't want you to over-dose :lol:

On a more serious note : why not just enjoy whatever you do when doing it.... That way expectations wont be in a position to disappoint you.....

yagrEarthninjadooksta123Buddhadragon
  • @apathofflowers said:
    I mean, if I took the eight precepts, what kind of fun things could I do? May be just things that keeps the mind joyfully occuppied, not outrageously fun...

flower arranging perhaps ...

Welcome to New Buddhist ... which can be fun <3

What have you got against outragious fun? Have you no ambition?

yagr
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Sky Diving
    White Water Rafting
    BASE Jumping
    Bungy Jumping
    I have friend who's a Buddhist who's into Gliding! That'd be fun I reckon.

Shoshinlobster

@Bunks

I think @apathofflowers said "Wholesome" fun... Not "Awesome" fun :lol:

Bunksyagrlobster
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2016

Why would observing the precepts preclude having fun? And who takes the 8 of them, besides novice monks? I can see how the one about not listening to music could be a problem. (Which is why most people only take the main 5 :D ) But the world is full of fun things to do.

I looked up an old friend I hadn't seen in decades, and she and a couple of her cousins were living on some land the extended family had been given, in the Pacific Northwest. The day I left, they were pressing cider, from a small apple orchard on the property. I couldn't believe how much joy and fun such a simple activity could provide! The beauty of the surroundings combined with lots of warm smiles and good human company was like a little slice of heaven!

What else? Swinging on a rope swing over a swimming hole and letting go, with a big splash. Diving a cannonball off a diving board into a swimming pool. Going on some amusement park rides. Spending an evening with friends at a roller rink. (I can't believe how much fun that is, and how friendly people are at those places!) Bike riding in the countryside. Hiking up a mountain to enjoy a spectacular view. Dancing to your favorite music with friends or at a dance venue (as long as you haven't taken that extra precept!) Skiing. Snowball fights. Snowboarding. Sleighriding with a loved one. A waterfight on a hot day. Running and splashing around on the beach. Surfing. Reading a funny book. Or a thought-provoking book. Learning something new.

OP, why can't you think of these things yourself, that's what I don't understand.

lobsterWalkeryagr
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

why? Are they mutually exclusive?

yagr
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2016

@federica said:
    why? Are they mutually exclusive?

This is what I don't get. Where's the hang-up, OP? Do the precepts rule out some of your customary fun-making?

yagr
  • As was said in the previous couple of thousand words, if it isn't hurtful, harmful or degrading, your options are nearly limitless.

Must be the caffeine withdrawal. :p;)

Peace to all

yagrBuddhadragon
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2016

@apathofflowers said:

I have heard it said that the First Precept covers all, and includes you.
    Start from where you are. Small steps.

The Eight Precepts are usually taken by laypeople during specific Buddhist Festival periods, as a gesture of increased Right Effort.... generally speaking, most laypeople vow to adhere primarily to the first five. The additional three are more in line with abstention during days of importance and significance.

yagr
  • :)

Once you have mastered flower arranging, or weed collecting in my case, you could move up to an outragious spate of heretical shrine building ...
    Here is one I did earlier ... :3

http://web.archive.org/web/20071024200049/http://www.zen45800.zen.co.uk/shrine2/

yagr
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

What can I do to have wholesome fun?

Whatever you find that is fun to do, that isn't unwholesome.

lobster
  • @lobster > weed collecting...

Sounds fun, do you have one big collection?

lobster
  • @apathofflowers

Since you are from Brazil, why not try Brazilian Jiu Jitsu?

• I don't actually take the eight precepts, it was just an example, because it removes things that I used to find more fun, but now not so much. Such as gaming, TV shows, movies and things of the sort. Thank you for welcoming me, everyone. @lobster I said it didn't have to be outrageously fun in order to increase the ideas I could receive. @Dakini What's wrong with getting a little help? I have thought of some things, have looked on the internet for others, but I wanted first-hand experience from practicing Buddhists. @Namada I'm afraid of hurting people.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited January 2016

I think ice-cream would be OK, providing you only eat in the morning and not while lying in bed watching music videos. ;)
    http://www.dhammawiki.com/index.php?title=8_precepts

yagrapathofflowers
  • @SpinyNorman said:
    I think ice-cream would be OK, providing you only eat in the morning and not while lying in bed watching music videos. ;)

Attachment to ice cream, tsk tsk. Bad Buddhist, bad Buddhist!

;)

Shoshin
  • @genkaku said:
    Aside from all the fun and kindly appreciations, I would like to thank the OP for hitting a nerve in Buddhism... something worth paying attention to, I think.

1. No one ever became a Buddhist because s/he was so damned happy.

>

I disagree with this. This echoes what some of the Buddhist literature you see around and what some of the teachers say, that people only come to Buddhism because they're in distress. Seeking help is their only motive. That simply isn't true.

Some people are attracted to Buddhism because it suits their inclinations, their personality. They might be naturally introspective, and naturally concerned with others' welfare. Some are attracted to the logic of the 4 Noble Truths and the Eightfold Path, as compared to the make-believe of theistic spiritual traditions. Some choose Buddhism because they are happy, and find other traditions to be too judgmental, to focused on "sin" and negativity.

It was only after joining this forum that I discovered that Buddhism can have a Puritanical side. Some of the newbies get so worked up about whether it's "bad karma" to think a certain way, or to want meat, or to skip their meditation session for the day, or to experience joy. Is the karma bogeyman going to come and get them, they worry.

IDK, is that a cultural thing? That's a very different focus in Buddhism than I've experienced. I think some people need to relax a bit. Remember the Middle Way, and stop using "karma" to flagellate yourselves. Not too tight on the reins, but not too loose, that's the Middle Way, the balanced way.

lobsterVastmind
  • ajhayes
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2016

Since we're taking a music break, I just had to share this one, too.
    Honestly, I can't imagine that the 7th Precept refers to music of a spiritual nature. I think it was intended to apply to music of a sensual nature, that might lead to heedless behavior.

Enjoy a little inspiration. :) I hope this isn't too off-topic.

Fosdickajhayes

I was really quite happy when I had Buddhism delivered by mail, one day. I was certainly inquisitive, and somewhat dissatisfied with my RC path, and a little frustrated... having been immersed in Catholicism since birth, and still finding aspects of it troubling and unfathomable, I was almost trying to be devout, and really, pretending.... so when "The Book" arrived (courtesy of my churchgoing RC Mother) my brain engaged and my mind flipped.
    In a good way.
    But there was no unhappiness there, nossiree....

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

I count it as unhappiness when there are doubts and some aspect of life that generates a sense of unsatisfactoriness.

Then that definition is flawed, because it's calculated only within your mind, as that.....

@federica... as perhaps the definition of happiness is in yours? :)

No, not really. I'm going by the standard normally-understood definition of happiness.

It follows that the standard, usually-accepted definition of UNhappiness is also understood...

You win ... happiness/unhappiness are understood ... I guess.

Sorry, @genkaku , I wasn't trying to 'win'... :open_mouth:
    I was just clarifying..... :)

• read, try to understand and work according to the following sutta

(mannamana sutta (from sanuktha nikaya, kandhaka vagga)

Jeesh, @upekka, you're such a killjoy... :angry:

Those are instructions for Monks, not so much for laypeople....

upekka
  • mMircomMirco Europe/Berlin New
    edited November 2016

@apathofflowers said:

• help other people (including a Sangha / monastics maybe) - loads of fun!
    • abide in Jhana - wholesome fun!
    • see the truth - hahahaha
    • become calm, relaxed and observing - very wholesome fun

Fun will come. But maybe it's not the fun you are used to. Let's call it joy.

BunksShoshinsilverlobster
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

You may want to bear in mind Thich Nhat Hanh's "Five Mindfulness Trainings," @apathofflowers, which is the five precepts better worded for laypeople.
    Middle path, moderation, equanimity: gaming, watching tv, whatever you have mentioned above may sound like innocent passtimes and a lot of fun, but a whole day indulging just in that activity will do you simply no good.

Reverence For Life
    Aware of the suffering caused by the destruction of life, I am committed to cultivating the insight of interbeing and compassion and learning ways to protect the lives of people, animals, plants, and minerals. I am determined not to kill, not to let others kill, and not to support any act of killing in the world, in my thinking, or in my way of life. Seeing that harmful actions arise from anger, fear, greed, and intolerance, which in turn come from dualistic and discriminative thinking, I will cultivate openness, non-discrimination, and non-attachment to views in order to transform violence, fanaticism, and dogmatism in myself and in the world.

True Happiness
    Aware of the suffering caused by exploitation, social injustice, stealing, and oppression, I am committed to practicing generosity in my thinking, speaking, and acting. I am determined not to steal and not to possess anything that should belong to others; and I will share my time, energy, and material resources with those who are in need. I will practice looking deeply to see that the happiness and suffering of others are not separate from my own happiness and suffering; that true happiness is not possible without understanding and compassion; and that running after wealth, fame, power and sensual pleasures can bring much suffering and despair. I am aware that happiness depends on my mental attitude and not on external conditions, and that I can live happily in the present moment simply by remembering that I already have more than enough conditions to be happy. I am committed to practicing Right Livelihood so that I can help reduce the suffering of living beings on Earth and reverse the process of global warming.

True Love
    Aware of the suffering caused by sexual misconduct, I am committed to cultivating responsibility and learning ways to protect the safety and integrity of individuals, couples, families, and society. Knowing that sexual desire is not love, and that sexual activity motivated by craving always harms myself as well as others, I am determined not to engage in sexual relations without true love and a deep, long-term commitment made known to my family and friends. I will do everything in my power to protect children from sexual abuse and to prevent couples and families from being broken by sexual misconduct. Seeing that body and mind are one, I am committed to learning appropriate ways to take care of my sexual energy and cultivating loving kindness, compassion, joy and inclusiveness – which are the four basic elements of true love – for my greater happiness and the greater happiness of others. Practicing true love, we know that we will continue beautifully into the future.

Loving Speech and Deep Listening
    Aware of the suffering caused by unmindful speech and the inability to listen to others, I am committed to cultivating loving speech and compassionate listening in order to relieve suffering and to promote reconciliation and peace in myself and among other people, ethnic and religious groups, and nations. Knowing that words can create happiness or suffering, I am committed to speaking truthfully using words that inspire confidence, joy, and hope. When anger is manifesting in me, I am determined not to speak. I will practice mindful breathing and walking in order to recognize and to look deeply into my anger. I know that the roots of anger can be found in my wrong perceptions and lack of understanding of the suffering in myself and in the other person. I will speak and listen in a way that can help myself and the other person to transform suffering and see the way out of difficult situations. I am determined not to spread news that I do not know to be certain and not to utter words that can cause division or discord. I will practice Right Diligence to nourish my capacity for understanding, love, joy, and inclusiveness, and gradually transform anger, violence, and fear that lie deep in my consciousness.

Nourishment and Healing
    Aware of the suffering caused by unmindful consumption, I am committed to cultivating good health, both physical and mental, for myself, my family, and my society by practicing mindful eating, drinking, and consuming. I will practice looking deeply into how I consume the Four Kinds of Nutriments, namely edible foods, sense impressions, volition, and consciousness. I am determined not to gamble, or to use alcohol, drugs, or any other products which contain toxins, such as certain websites, electronic games, TV programs, films, magazines, books, and conversations. I will practice coming back to the present moment to be in touch with the refreshing, healing and nourishing elements in me and around me, not letting regrets and sorrow drag me back into the past nor letting anxieties, fear, or craving pull me out of the present moment. I am determined not to try to cover up loneliness, anxiety, or other suffering by losing myself in consumption. I will contemplate interbeing and consume in a way that preserves peace, joy, and well-being in my body and consciousness, and in the collective body and consciousness of my family, my society and the Earth.

VastmindBunksShoshin
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@federica said:> Jeesh, @upekka, you're such a killjoy... :angry:
    Those are instructions for Monks, not so much for laypeople....

Though the monk/layperson distinction is traditional and cultural, and it is getting increasingly blurred in western Buddhism.

Sometimes we will find ourselves transgressing one or more of the precepts despite our best intentions.
    Life is full of grey areas.
    In those cases, we have to take accountability of our actions and learn to live with the consequences, without berating ourselves too hard.

Vastmind
  • ajhayesajhayes Pema Jinpa Dorje Northern Michigan Veteran
    edited November 2016

I love this forum, but, you guys are so sharp I find that I rarely have anything to add. Back off on being awesome, if you would be so kind.

In all seriousness, the only thing I can think to add is to just be mindful of the things you are doing. Gaming is a blast, catch a movie, enjoy the people that you are around. But, try to do a little something to be of service.

Lay off of the cocaine and waffles, unless you intend to share.

VastmindlobsterBunkssilver
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited November 2016

Speaking of waffles and harmless fun .... where is @Jeffrey?

Walkersilver
  • WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

I was wondering that a while back. Same with @Earthninja

• @Lionduck said:
    As was said in the previous couple of thousand words, if it isn't hurtful, harmful or degrading, your options are nearly limitless.

When we are prone to an unwholesome attitude or behavour, it is a good plan to increase our attention to overtly spiritual/dharma related, wholesome fun.

So:

• Paint or draw a Buddha
    • Build a shrine or add fresh gifts - flowers, incense, food etc, ech day
    • Visit wholesome teachers in person, Youtube or through their writings
    • Improve the world in some way
    • Provide fun, rather than seek it

Perhaps this is the sort of fun the original poster meant?

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@Walker said:
    I was wondering that a while back. Same with @Earthninja

I seem to recall earthninja may have had a baby not so long ago. Probably got his hands full :)

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

Volunteering at the local animal shelter to walk dogs, and play with cats, is quite fun. =)

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I've been wondering about @Jeffrey, too. As well as @Tosh and @how. I know how often takes time off in the summer away from the internet. I hope all is well with them.

lobsterVastmind
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited November 2016

I've been missing Howard as well. He's my Zennie guy! :)

lobster

Heavens forbid...I've just had a terribly horrid thought....What if they've managed to get off the net and have got a life and are having wholesome fun.... :)

On a more serious note...Jokes aside....May they all be well.....

Buddhadragon

@Shoshin said:
    Heavens forbid...I've just had a terribly horrid thought....What if they've managed to get off the net and have got a life and are having wholesome fun....

That's what I was doing before some Samsara loop landed me here again, @Shoshin

Lol

Shoshin

OP has disappeared... will close but happy to re-open at their request.
    Thanks to all....

This discussion has been closed.