Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How to be motivated for meditation practice?

rohitrohit Maharrashtra Veteran

How to keep practice regular with discipline? How do you managed to be regular practitioner of meditation?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Just do it.
    Either schedule yourself a time to do it, or grab three minutes.... 1o seconds...5 minutes....45 seconds....here and there.
    It's quality....

rohitlobstermerxNirvana
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Work out the best time of day and make it part of your daily routine. Find an approach to meditation that works for you, so that it really feels like a worthwhile activity. If you can, have regular contact with other meditators.

And reward yourself with ice-cream. ;)

rohitEarthninja
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited January 2016

Good answers, I particularly liked @federica answer.
    Persistence. Practice. Fail? ... start a gain ...

Persistence may take a while. That is OK. Don't grit your teeth though ... ;)

Where there is a will, there is a way. No other Middle Way than that.

Regularity, first thing. No excuses, no being too busy, no waffle.

Do or do not. There is no try. Yoda

Start with what you can and will achieve not ludicrous, spurt of action for a few days ... and then failure.

Meditate on a flower, or joyful concept/mantra.

Come on ... you know the answers ... B)

rohit
  • Will_BakerWill_Baker Vermont Veteran

Commit to just one minute...

rohitsilverEarthninja
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited January 2016

How to keep practice regular with discipline? How do you managed to be regular practitioner of meditation?

Setting up a specific meditation schedule to follow is very useful in insuring that we learn how to meditate beyond those times when we just happen to feel like meditating

but.......

is there a way to guard against having ones own schedule of meditation become its own source of ignorance, pride or attachment except by
    giving this present moment of experience, a greater sense of meditative priority, than any other possible moment.

rohitShoshinlobstermisecmisc1
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited January 2016

@rohit said:
    How do you managed to be regular practitioner of meditation?

trying to bring the mindfulness to 'whatever i do, think'

not easy but i can see i am more successful now than a year ago

lobstersilver
  • @rohit said:
    How to keep practice regular with discipline?

Mindful, attentive, focus. It all is moving in a single Middle Way. I can tell you no one gains by pretending discipline or inspiration and continual effort is always easy.

Many can attest to struggle. Many can attest to benefits. The other day due to a sore back it was impossible to sit upright. I meditated laying down ... and fell asleep. Failure? No. The next day was extra sitting ease.

Develop the hunger for enlightenment. The obsession even. Use every trick to sit ... gently, peacably at ease ...
    http://12stepsandzenkoans.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/attention-attention-attention.html

rohit
  • CarlitaCarlita Bastian please! Save us! United States Veteran

@SpinyNorman said:
    Work out the best time of day and make it part of your daily routine. Find an approach to meditation that works for you, so that it really feels like a worthwhile activity. If you can, have regular contact with other meditators.

And reward yourself with ice-cream. ;)

Yes, can't forget the ice cream!

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

How to be motivated for meditation practice?

As @federica mentioned earlier "Just do it" before the emotions get the better of you and force your hand... When you learn to just do it the extremes can be avoided ....

silverrohitlobsterdooksta123
  • CarlitaCarlita Bastian please! Save us! United States Veteran

@rohit said:

I know I have a horrible attention span. I don't set specific times each day given I know I will forget or get anzy about being tied down to a time. Instead, if that doesn't work for you, during yor day, just stop for two to five minutes. You don't have to sit Lotus. Just guide yourself to "stop" for and be aware of your surroundings without labeling what you take in with your senses.

Once you get a habit of that, then make try doing the same thing in the morning only... baby steps. Then morning and evening if desired. And then sit on your cushion and start over again small increments at a time.

As long as you don't break that habit of "stoping" you can probably keep on the cushion (wherever you are comfortable) for longer periods of time.

Also, take into consideration of listening to your body. Maybe certain meditaton styles isn't something you may not be able to do. Play with different ways of meditating. It's the intent behind it. Whichever school you practice from, I'm sure their teachings aren't strict to put what you do.

rohit
  • Simple answer - Just do it.

Sometimes the hardest thing to do is to just do it

Good luck

Peace to all

rohit
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Just do it ... kool.

But if you won't (not "can't," just won't) do it, then take responsibility for it. "I choose not to practice." This is good practice.

lobsterrohit
  • Good plan from @genkaku

I like to get into a formal posture ... and 'not meditate' for a while ...

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited January 2016

I was pondering that the other day as I have been a bit remiss in my practise. But I have a secret weapon - the Universe ;)

Whenever I utter the words "I should really do more meditation because....." I am always given a reason to. So today I found myself having a rather uncomfortable (read really effing painful) ultrasound and lo! I had time to do a 20 minute session - the result was a bit mixed, but I managed to do one round of a mala.

I will get another session in tomorrow too.
    _ /\ _

lobster
  • ^^^ You know @dhammachick my meditation is like a jar of muddied water.
    Activity just stirs it up. Being still, allows the mud to settle.

Kundo
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@dhammachick said:
    I was pondering that the other day as I have been a bit remiss in my practise. But I have a secret weapon - the Universe ;)

Whenever I utter the words "I should really do more meditation because....." I am always given a reason to. So today I found myself having a rather uncomfortable (read really effing painful) ultrasound and lo! I had time to do a 20 minute session - the result was a bit mixed, but I managed to do one round of a mala.

I will get another session in tomorrow too.
    _ /\ _

I once heard some good advice, from two quarters: One was from Yianla Vanzant, who always says : "Don't you go souldin' on yawself...."

The other, and much earlier on in my quest for self-perfection (as you can tell, I ain't even half-done yet!) was Louise Hay, who recommended turning a 'should' into a 'could'.

'Should' is guilt-laden, and we often beat purselves up for no reason.
    'Could' gives us the subconscious reason why we haven't done something...

" I really should write a thank-you note to Auntie Maude...."

I really COULD write a thank-you note to Auntie Maude"...

"But I can't be assed because she gets on my nerves and the gift is horrendous anyway!"

'Should' gives us a guilt trip and we often haven't fathomed quite why...

'Could' brings up a reason - which we can then negotiate and assess.....

Kundo