Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Bonus at work

Hi guys. Long time no see :)

I have a question, I would like your opinions and thoughts on. We're facing a big task at my working place (Authority of tax complaints). Some 800 value assessment complaints has to be tried by me and five of my co workers during the next six to eight months. To compensate us for the work load and to incite us to work faster, my boss has negotiated a bonus program for us. I do not know the size of the possible bonuses yet and we haven't begun processing the complaints yet (they are still being prepared by a student), but it has made me think:
At first I was motivated by the extra pay, but then I realized that I usually don't get motivated by money, which is also evident in my choice of employer. There would have been much more money to be made with literally any other employer than the state, but I like to serve my fellow citizens and do what I can to ensure a fair process for people who have to deal with the dinosaurian public sector. So now I'm torn - on the one hand I feel/felt motivated by the money, but on the other hand I feel I'm abandoning my principles.
How would you guys deal with such a situation?

Comments

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Well, it would cross my mind if I were in your shoes, to casually suggest making the bonus part money and part some other perk - extra days off, or whatever is appropriate for your work place....without expectations of them being willing or able to fulfill whatever those suggestions may be.

Kundo
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Your boss would not have motivated you with money, unless such motivation was effective.
    So? Do it for the money.

Why not?

You'll be earning it.

Just do something good with the money.....

Bunks
  • Just continue to do your best, @Ficus_religiosa .
    If the promised bonus is a motivator, so be it. It will undoubtedly help you 'keep the lights on'.
    You have chosen public service and any recognition you receive will be well earned.
    Take the bonus guilt free and use it in any positive way you deem fit.

Peace to all

lobster
  • @Ficus_religiosa said:
    Some 800 value assessment complaints has to be tried by me and five of my co workers during the next six to eight months. To compensate us for the work load and to incite us to work faster, my boss has negotiated a bonus program for us.
    So now I'm torn - on the one hand I feel/felt motivated by the money, but on the other hand I feel I'm abandoning my principles.

If the additional work is above and beyond that for which you're generally contracted to undertake then it's either in remuneration or in compensation - to some extent one must be motivated by some definition of reasonable pay for services delivered and in a commercial setting this is the accepted quid pro quo - I suppose to this extent a bonus may be a proportional extension of the ratio.
    If you and your colleagues were unable to undertake the work, how many additional people would be required to be employed and trained to undertake the work - there is an inevitable cost which is probably considerably saved by your intervention - I suspect that it is likely that you will more than earn any additional pay.
    Dealing with 800 complaints don't sound like the abandonment of principles or a walk in the park - good luck with it.

Kundo
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

My husband works for our local tax agency as well. They also offer bonus. We accept them graciously. They are a way for his employer to make up for the fact that he would be paid better elsewhere. You don't have to decide what to do with the money now. It is ok to just let it sit. What to do with it will come to you in time. Accepting extra money for extra work isn't sacrificing your principles.

lobster
  • I don't think there is anything wrong with money as a motivator. Money is at least a part of why the majority of us all do what we do.

You mention that part of the bonus program is an incentive to "work faster," and that's the only place where I would heed a bit of caution. I would work extra hours, work smarter, but be cognizant so as not to speed through cases without giving them my full consideration, in order to hit some goal that is bonus related.

My 2 cents. Enjoy the extra dough!

rohit
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited February 2016

Money's not the problem...love of it is... Just do your job ...And anything extra you get at the end of it, is a BONUS

• Is this actually even a situation for you to deal with? Do you have a role in deciding whether the work is to be done, or whether there will be a bonus? I'm guessing that those decisions aren't made by your team. But there may be a more important role, one of inspiration by example. Are your coworkers similarly altruistic? Can the team step up and do work that is heroic in quality and pace? Seeing this new problem appear on the horizon, rising up and conquering it, at unprecedented motivation and performance level, may prove to be much more rewarding for the team, especially if (unlike the bonus) the decision to proceed is made by the team.

• Thank you for all your replies :)

• If you are conflicted about money, receive it and then give it away. A lot of good use for it in our unequal society.