Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Temple visit

Went to one of my local temples. The spot is a tourist attraction so as I came in, kids and chasing mothers were running riot. Later a troupe of quieter visitors were given the official Buddha tall tales. The main formal Buddha shrine area was bereft of cushions. Ah well had to sit in half lotus for a change. Fingered my ultra-spiritual mala to impress the visitors, guides and Buddhas with silent reciting ...

Must say it was more fun sitting on a bench in the sun outside watching a wren pop into a wall to retrieve insects.

What happened when you visited your dharma haven?

yagrBunkssilver

Comments

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited February 2016

The last time I went on retreat was at a Triratna place called Padmaloka. Very good vegetarian food!
    http://www.padmaloka.org.uk/
    I first went there in the 1980s, it has developed considerably since then.

• gottzigottzi Essex, UK New

I did visit the Colchester Buddhist centre a few times and I was quite surprised at the peaceful feel of the shrine room, I must admit it was the deepest meditation I have had so far, the atmosphere seemed to be perfect.
    Unfortunately we have nothing so grand as the picture above that I know of nearby, unless someone knows different?

With Metta
    David

Tara1978
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

What happened when you visited your dharma haven?

I sit look and listen... Nothing Special

• The temple is the official GB garden shed of 'the king and I'

Only two monks in residence when I went. One personally taught me walking meditation and meditating in a chair.

Here is a pic from another earlier visit

http://www.buddhapadipa.org/buddhism/

Pope has his GB residence around the corner and a sufi also lives nearby ... we also have a womble nature conservation area nearby ...

You can even play tennis or golf if you prefer ...

Bunkssilver
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

No temples or other such things remotely near me. But plenty of nature, and since the world was Buddha's witness, it's good enough for me ;)

WalkerlittlestudentShoshinlobster
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

My "Dharma Haven" is the mind :)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

That's always presuming you have one. I never make such presumptions about myself. Too risky. And too damn difficult to prove.

• @karasti said:
    No temples or other such things remotely near me. But plenty of nature, and since the world was Buddha's witness, it's good enough for me ;)

buddha nature I take it :) The Buddha may die but Buddha Nature is born again ...
    Good enough for me too ...

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited March 2016

@gottzi said:
    I did visit the Colchester Buddhist centre a few times and I was quite surprised at the peaceful feel of the shrine room, I must admit it was the deepest meditation I have had so far, the atmosphere seemed to be perfect.
    Unfortunately we have nothing so grand as the picture above that I know of nearby, unless someone knows different?

With Metta
    David

<3
    My dear friend,
    The shrine room, temple, Buddha Nature Temple of the leaves, the sacred cushion of the Dharma ass, The holy kabab or kabaa of Buddhist Heresy <3
    All within ... eventually ... B)

I visit quiet churches, graveyards, libraries, mosques and groves of dead druids and garden. I am surrounded by gods and demons wherever I go. One day we go to the temple, another mecca comes to our profit ...

My heart has become receptive of all forms: it is a pasture for gazelles, and a monastery for Christian monks,
    And a temple for idols and the pilgrim's Kaʿba and the tables of the Torah and the book of the Qurʾan.

http://www.ibnarabisociety.org/articles/mystics-kaba.html

... and now back to the form, which I am assured is empty ...

Cinorjer
  • IronRabbitIronRabbit Veteran
    edited March 2016

The Odiyan Buddhist Retreat Center, located in Sonoma, California is the precious Tibetan jewel of the West on 1,000 breathtakingly beautiful acres of ponds, forests, gardens, orchards and sacred architecture, overlooking the Pacific Ocean in northern California. This is 82 miles from my home, but the only way to see it is to fly over it in light aircraft or volunteer to work and study (mostly work) 11 hour days, six days a week for a minimum of six months - if - you are accepted. Amazing. Now if only I could overcome my fear of flying in light aircraft....

silverCinorjer
  • @IronRabbit I'm curious about the Copper Mountain Temple. The webpage brags about how beautiful it is and the wonderful gardens (and the pictures certainly back that up) but they don't have guided tours, no visitors allowed, and apparently if you want to experience it, you have to pay for a private ceremony to be held there (like a funeral, I assume) or be accepted as free skilled labor for 6 months to maintain the temple and grounds.

So if you hoard a treasure so nobody gets to see it, is the treasure still worth anything?

• @Cinorjer There's a saying that the mind takes the shape it rests upon. Odiyan serves a purpose. Not mine. Seems like not yours either. Just thought it was magnificent and oddly intriguing in its inaccessability. Thanks for noticing.

Cinorjerlobster