Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Therevadin old school found in India

I was quite intrigued to find this old school Therevadin Buddhism being practiced in India.

The Chakmas also worship Hindu deities. Lakshmi, for example, is worshipped as the Goddess of the Harvest. Chakmas offer the sacrifice of goats, chickens, or ducks to calm the spirits that are believed to bring fevers and disease. Even though animal sacrifice is totally against Buddhist beliefs, the Chakma Buddhist priests ignore the practice.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chakma_people

I am constantly amazed how diverse Buddhism can be ... how it evolves and changes. Do you celebrate/welcome this diversity?

Comments

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

I think the diversity in Buddhism is great, there is something for every taste. It's similar to Hinduism in that regard, vast and pluralistic.

lobster
  • In doing a bit of googling about the Chakma people of India, I came across this fantastic short movie by one of their own artists. Like many Buddhist inspired movies, it presents a slice of reality and lets you make your own judgement. In this case, the reality of a woman becoming a prostitute to support her child.

personShoshinlobster
  • @lobster said:
    I was quite intrigued to find this old school Therevadin Buddhism being practiced in India.

The Chakmas also worship Hindu deities. Lakshmi, for example, is worshipped as the Goddess of the Harvest. Chakmas offer the sacrifice of goats, chickens, or ducks to calm the spirits that are believed to bring fevers and disease. Even though animal sacrifice is totally against Buddhist beliefs, the Chakma Buddhist priests ignore the practice.

I am constantly amazed how diverse Buddhism can be ... how it evolves and changes. Do you celebrate/welcome this diversity?

I celebrate diversity, as long as it is peaceful and ethical, obviously. The world would be a boring place if we were all the same (speaking of myself only here :) )

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited March 2016

@littlestudent said:
    I celebrate diversity, as long as it is peaceful and ethical, obviously. The world would be a boring place if we were all the same (speaking of myself only here :) )

Perhaps so.
    Will have to put on my thinking cap ... or maybe not ... ;)
    http://www.urbanbuddhashop.co.uk/2,26,emf-protection-terrasana-quietmind-grounding-cap.html

• Will_BakerWill_Baker Vermont Veteran

@SpinyNorman said:
    I think the diversity in Buddhism is great, there is something for every taste. It's similar to Hinduism in that regard, vast and pluralistic.

-Agreed...

• cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran

@lobster said:

Absolutely bloody not, Animal sacrifice is not compatible with any form of Buddhism, Buddha taught the path to eliminate suffering this is causing it, may these bad practices be eliminated.

• I suspect as far the Hindu elements, much to do about nothing. In Korea, people practice both Buddhism and the native Shamanism and their shrines both sit on the same sacred mountain streams. They will leave offerings to Buddha for his blessings and then pay a Shamaness to contact their ancestors in a trance ceremony to get their blessing too. Many cultures aren't as exclusive in their religious identities and happily mix them.

• While the dharma police have a melt down. Here is something for the incompatible meat sacrificers ... :p