Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Insight Timer

I needed a meditation timer so I downloaded a wonderful little app called Insight Timer. I'm a sucker for statistics, and the app delivers wonderfuly. My goal is to establish a habit of meditating at least 5 times/week and the app helps me to keep track and remain realistic.

Does anyone else use it? Would be cool to have a friend or two on the app.

lobster

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Used to use it, but began getting all kinds of weird messages from people I didn't know, plus a load of spam advertising, so I gave it up. Several of us have used it here. Varying reviews to follow, no doubt.....

• In the current version there is the option to turn off messages from non-friends. I've also not had any advertising yet. Version 2.0 is coming up soon - might want to check it out. Haha, I'm talking like a sales rep :)

• GlowGlow Veteran
    edited March 2016

The one I use is this: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/meditation-timer-free/id515571863?mt=8

It's a very barebones, simple one. Very easy to use, and I like that it has interval bells (you can set how often, I have it set for every 5 minutes) so you know the app hasn't crashed or if you want to switch focus (say, practicing metta bhavana for ten minutes, and then move onto anapanasati).

• I use it all the time. Like it very much. I bought the paid iPhone version for $2.99. You can interact or not with other people who have the timer and there are lots of related spiritual group forums (not all Buddhist) you can check out and follow. But if you just want a clean and easy to use meditation app, it can just serve that function.

• Apps chap my hide. I use the Enso timer / clock. Also have the Chopa Zen alarm - but the Enso is the preferred.

marcitkoKale4Dayz
  • @marcitko said:
    Does anyone else use it? Would be cool to have a friend or two on the app.

I use it from time to time
    there is a newbuddhist group you can search for and join
    https://insighttimer.com

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

I use it all the time.
    Both for meditating and for socializing.
    I have the Deluxe version, which actually costs virtually nothing and you pay for just once, and I never got any ads since then.

I participate in different groups, too, and -I am EXTREMELY embarrassed to confess this one- I lead a group called "Relationships" for people who want to engage in single-meet-single interrelating... <3

Many women were complaining of men hitting on them.
    I think men hitting on women is the most natural thing in the world, and a meditation app with a social forum can't be the exception.
    Since many people agreed with me, they unanimously appointed me to sort of moderate the group.
    The group grows slowly, people are rather shy -despite my more or less aggressive prodding- but it's a lot of fun.

Whatever: I love the app. The timer is fantastic, with plenty of options for bells, and there is a wide array of guided meditations to choose from.
    I tried different apps, and this one is my favourite.
    The social function can be turned off for people who don't care to meet other people.

lobster