Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Excuses NOT to Meditate

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran
edited March 2016 in Meditation

Disclaimer: This is not a guilt trip on those who don't meditate on a regular bases...It's to get a better insight into the main reason/s as to why meditation does not sit( pun intended) well with some Dharma practitioners ! (Perhaps some of the answers/comments may be of help to others)

From a personal viewpoint I find it easy to have a routine, because I live alone, which means I'm not responsible for the welfare of other household members...I guess it's easier to, when other members of your household also follow the path and perhaps you meditate together...

Here are a few excuses (bearing in mind some excuses are genuine, that is, the situation one finds oneself in makes it really difficult )

*Not knowing how to meditate (No access to learning materials or teachers)...

*Busy life style, family duties, not able to find the time, also seems to be a big one....

*Tried it once or twice, and didn't get anything from it....( This being quite a common excuse)

However I think the big one is the "Monkey Mind" which just can't see the point in being tamed...
Right up until now, Monkey Mind has been the King, in full control of the chaos, and no way in the world will it give up its kingdom/throne easily, it will pull out all stops, fight tooth & nail, employing all the tricks of the trade to stay in power....

So those of you who don't have regular meditation sessions what do you find are the main reasons ?

yagr

Comments

• If determined to have excuses eg.

• My cushion is too far away, not firm enough
    • Mindfulness will do instead of a formal sit
    • What for?

etc.
    I just get into a sitting posture and allow these thoughts play time

In other words 'excuses, excuses meditation' ... o:)

yagrShoshin
  • yagryagr Veteran

@Shoshin said:
    So those of you who don't have regular meditation sessions what do you find are the main reasons ?

Did, don't currently.

1. Intermittently, overwhelming, chronic pain.
    2. Complete and utter exhaustion from #1.

So, Monkey mind. <3

Shoshin
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I don't need reasons or excuses. When I want to meditate, I do. When I don't, I don't.

ShoshinBodhivakaSwaroop
  • You could use your time to read about meditation instead of actually meditating.

Shoshin
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@lobster said:

In other words 'excuses, excuses ... o:)

This reminds me of a children's book I used to read to my children when they were little...

"Excuses Excuses" about all the implausible excuses that children come up with, it was quite funny ...( I think I enjoyed reading it more than my children did :lol: )

• My main reason or excuse is that sometimes I pick up other hobbies, and sometimes the lazy mind wants to throw in a subliminal message or two. "do it later"..."you can do it after all the mess clears up"..."you don't need to do it"..."you'll do ok without it" etc.

Shoshin

In the West it would seem that Meditation is synonymous with Buddhism

I don't think I've ever come across a Buddhist teacher who hasn't emphasised the importance of ongoing meditation practice....

Here are two from different traditions

Lama Jampa Thaye ( Vajrayana Tibetan)
    "What is The Importance of Meditation" (Approx two minutes)
    "Why do Buddhists Meditate" (Approx one and half minutes)

Ajahn Jayasaro (Theravada Thai)

"Buddhist Meditation" (Approx two and half minutes)

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited March 2016

... another real excuse is:

can't,
    will not,
    meditate.

So study, mindfulness and sila will have to suffice.

other very real excuses:
    I am a dabbler and
    can't be bothered.
    My situation is special,
    too chaotic
    responsibility dependent
    etc.

Not much of a dukkha ending plan is it?
    Leads to 'meandering' ... waffle ... dukkha (no surprise)

How about:
    I will never be enlightened so what is the point?
    I am enlightened. Job done. No point.
    I AM meditation
    etc.

Is there a behavour pattern emerging?
    and now back to 'real' excuses ... o:)

Shoshin
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I mediate daily, pretty much. I almost always get away from it in summer and then come back to it in the fall. Fall and winter are my contemplative times of year. We get very little nice weather, and so I spend every waking hour that the sun is up outside enjoying it.

But I've found even if I am away from sitting practice, meditation is always with me. It's there when I run, when I drive, when I feed the fish. My practice doesn't disappear just because I might go through stretches of weeks without sitting. Forcing myself to sit if I am feeling averse to it seems to a worse effect. I do still attend Sangha and we meditate together every week. My needs change throughout the year, whether it be sleep, diet, exercise, or meditation. I just go with it because it's what works for me. Trying to force myself to eat a steaming bowl of heavy stew in July doesn't work. For me, a lot of the time neither does sitting meditation. It is a heavier sensation for me. Thus lighter forms of eating, sleeping and meditation take over in the spring and summer.

lobstermarcitkoShoshin

@karasti said:

But I've found even if I am away from sitting practice, meditation is always with me.

The ability for it to just 'kick it' ie, off the cushion, is for the most part, what it is all about....

Some begin meditation as a means to alleviating some mental/physical aliment/s....This healing ability is just one of the beneficial bi-products or side effects...

From what I gather the Buddha advocated meditation practice to help people remain in a ongoing state of vigilance ( On call 24/7/365 so to speak :) ) monitoring and activating the antidotes to any defilements that try to occupy the mind space ....

And the cushion time is just the battery charger ...I don't have long lasting Every Ready batteries, so I have to recharge on a regular bases :)

Or perhaps I could just go around like this :lol:

lobster
  • ^^^ Very understandable way of putting it. Meditation is the powering up for mindfulness. Focus in situ, awareness of being is becoming mainstream and also an 'advanced' practice or eventual goal for us labled Buddhist.

More favoured excuses:

• Jesus, YHWH, Allah, the cat will save me
    • Formal meditation is for beginners/Buddha cultists
    • I am not convinced it is neccessary
    • Dukkha ain't SO bad
    • Hedonism, nihilism, non practice is easier/better
    • Meditation makes me mad/bad/crazy/depressed
    • Meditation is for those afraid of living
    marcitko