Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddism Ireland?

CiaraCiara Dublin New

Hello I'm relatively new to this community and have decided to convert to Buddhism in the last few months. I am aware that the Buddhist community in Ireland is relatively small but just thought I'd put this up here and see if I how many of us are actually here. I live in Dublin Ireland but have yet to join a temple as I've been focusing on my exams but plan to once the summer roles around. Just a shout out to see who's out there.
-Thanks

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Technically, you don't 'convert' to Buddhism. Why? Because anyone can practise Buddhism, while they're still Catholic/Protestant/Jewish/Muslim/Hindu....
    The very fact that Buddhism has no Godhead, no omnipotent Deity, no eternal Saviour - means it's more a philosophical religion than one based on any theistic devotion.

Fell absolutely free to practise Buddhism until you feel it's the best thing ever to the exclusion of everything else.
    Then, merely 'apply' it and live by it.

Welcome to you, and thank you for the thread.
    I'm not sure we actually have anyone from Ireland itself contributing, but I do know at least one member who is Irish....

Enjoy every moment of your time here. :)

SwaroopKundoBunks
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited April 2016

Hello B)

What does your conversion entail? Do you have a practice? Any type of Buddhism you feel an affinity to? Green Tara, that @how mentions in a future post, perfect for leprechauns ;)

Welcome.

• I know SGI (Nichiren Buddhism) has active members in Irland.
    SGI has no temples as it strictly a lay organization.
    I'm sure there are other form of Buddhism in Ireland as well, but you'll have to turn over some rocks..
    In any event, good luck and good hunting.

Peace to you

Peace to all

• howhow Veteran Veteran

All I know is green Tara's with big smiles on their faces show up around here every St. Patricks day.

lobsterKundo
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Ciara said: Just a shout out to see who's out there.
    -Thanks

It looks like you have some interesting options in Dublin. http://www.buddhanet.info/wbd/search.php?keyword=&search=Search&country_id=65&province_id=341

Years ago I did a retreat in West Cork, here: http://www.dzogchenbeara.org/

Ciara
  • CiaraCiara Dublin New

Thank you for that information.
    I'd seen the happy st Patrick's day post but it's celebrated all over the world now so I wasn't sure if anyone on that thread was actually over here. I have been practicing for close to a year but only recently decided to call my self Buddhist (that's what I call my conversion and coming from a strict Catholic background that was a big deal) that's when I decided to try and connect with other Buddhist in my area (and discovered its very much in the minority here).
    A quick Google will bring you a few Buddhist meditation centres in the city but other then the address there isn't much info to be found there so was just hoping for someone to point me in the right direction.
    I'll check out the retreat that @SpinyNorman mentioned as well as the other link but as I don't drive so I'm pretty constrained to where I can get to by public transport.
    I'll keep up the search and will put anything I do find up here for any others that come looking for similar information.
    Thanks again

Hozan
  • WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

Just wanted to say a quick hello and welcome @Ciara I'm a Canadian with Irish roots on my mother's side.

I also come from a Christian background (Catholic until about 12, then fundamentalist until about 17), and I completely understand if you want to distance yourself from Christianity. I started looking into Buddhism a little over a year ago, so I guess I'm coming into it with a secular/agnostic attitude, which is probably why I seem attracted to Secular Buddhism with a little Zen thrown in. Some people are happy enough to combine Buddhism with the religion they were brought up in, but, there are also some of us that have serious issues with those faiths.

THN and HHDL have been very careful to try not to 'convert' westerners to Buddhism, which is all well and good. Buddhism has historically influenced, and been influenced by the other faiths (such as the Bon religion in Tibet, Hinduism, Taoism, and Shinto, etc.) it has encountered as it spread. But there's absolutely no reason to hold on to your Catholic beliefs if you feel that they are are holding you back.

I wish you all the best in finding a Sangha that helps you, and feels like 'home'.

Ciara
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran

http://meditateinireland.com/

There are actually a fair few in Dublin itself, Ive meet people from this centre at the yearly meditation retreats I go to, I plan to visit december time as my partner come from Castleblayney.

@Ciara

BunksCiara
  • CiaraCiara Dublin New

Thanks @caz I haven't seen that sight before I'll take a look also thanks for sharing your experience @Walker it's nice to know someone coming else coming from the same background, (my older brother is actually just back from Canada after spending about a year and a half working over there).
    Hoping to head into the city this weekend armed with a list of addresses and just sus out the story in all of the places see when they hold sessions and if I can fit it in around study or if I'll have to wait till the summer.
    *Thanks again for all the links

• HozanHozan Veteran

Hi Ciara. I'm Irish and living in Ireland! Best wishes.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Ciara hasn't been active on this forum for a good while now - hopefully, she may get an alert that folks are still responding, Hozan.... Welcome to you, also!

Hozan
  • HozanHozan Veteran
    edited March 2017

Thank you @federica for both adding me to the forum and your welcome. Much appreciated. Great to be here. I have found this site at just the right time in my life.

Bunks

@Hozan, thus is it said: "When the student is ready, the Teacher will appear...."
    Not that any of us would dare elevate ourselves to such a distinguished role, but certainly, 'here to help'...!

• HozanHozan Veteran

I know there is much I can learn from you all. I am grateful for it :)

• HozanHozan Veteran

My biggest challange @federica is to cultivate the discipline to maintain a daily meditation routine that I can maintain for the long term

edited March 2017

It's not quantity, it's quality.... better to do 10 x 3 minutes of successful meditation throughout the day,than 1 x 30 minutes of so-so meditation....

HozanlobsterBunks
  • HozanHozan Veteran

Thank you I will begin modestly with no expectations.