Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

volitional activity/ cetana/ sankhara

upekkaupekka Veteran
edited April 2016 in Meditation

what do you know about these?

not the things that you have read or excerpt from sutta

but

in your own understanding with your own words

as a second thought,

what you have read and sutta excerpt also be appreciated

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

That it is one of the 51 mental factors. My memory is that it is said to act like a supervisor or boss of the others and gives them motivation or energy to act, but that doesn't mean it itself is free from causes and conditions too.

I don't know suttas so I wouldn't be able to find it.

• I consider volitional intention or right concentration as foundational. B)

There is very little for now I can do about my 'shit head' or monkey mind BUT there is much I can do to increase skilful action, 'cravings', direction etc.
    In Sufism we say, 'increase in Love'. In the head space of dharma we 'increase in healthy thinking'.

I will never be a perfect Buddha. I don't think the Buddha was a perfect Buddha. That is just superstitious 'advertising' as @genkaku describes in another thread. Rainbows may come out of the Lama Buddhas ass but really we have to cross our own rainbow bridge... to infinity and beyond ... :3

silverSwaroop
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited April 2016

@lobster said:

There is very little for now I can do about my 'shit head' or monkey mind

do you notice that these writing itself shows 'my' volitional activities/ intention/ cetana/ sankhara because 'i' couldn't let go of 'your' writing?

practising 8-fold path is very very hard, eh!

but hard doesn't mean 'can't', isn't it?

yes, it is possible because 'i' could stop writing anything related to 'shit head' or monkey mind

ye ye, 'i am' successful in practising 8-fold path

do/did you notice it?

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited April 2016

^^^ Tee hee ...

We iz human? Might not be our plan but is our 'karma'.

Exactly right. Hard is possible. Practice is possible. Might at times seem impossible ... hence the need for focus/concentration/try again ... and again ...

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

in your own understanding with your own words

Um....In most cases we create problems for ourselves when we become obsessed with certain thoughts/ideas/feelings.... Stop obsessing :)

namarupa
  • Sankhara has also been translated as mental fabrications. Mental fabrications would be something like constantly creating ideas, moods, and feelings. It is basically the monkey mind in my opinion. We do get both good and bad out of it. Since it has been taught that it is not self we should not cling to it. Not clinging to it does not mean to ignore it completely since we do need some ideas to survive.

• @upekka said:

@lobster said:

There is very little for now I can do about my 'shit head' or monkey mind

do you notice that these writing itself shows 'my' volitional activities/ intention/ cetana/ sankhara because 'i' couldn't let go of 'your' writing?

practising 8-fold path is very very hard, eh!

but hard doesn't mean 'can't', isn't it?

yes, it is possible because 'i' could stop writing anything related to 'shit head' or monkey mind

ye ye, 'i am' successful in practising 8-fold path

do/did you notice it?

Is volition caused or uncaused? The cause is the usual suspect, craving.
    Even following the 8-fold path is caused by desire in this case the desire to be freed from suffering. No wonder it's so hard. It's like a dog chasing it's own tail.

Fosdick