Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

David Hume, the Buddha, and a search for the Eastern roots of the Western Enlightenment

lobsterlobster Veteran
edited May 2016 in Faith & Religion

What a tale ... wonderful ... long by NewBuddhist standards but worth the time ...
http://opcoa.st/0F42v

I was unaware of this early connection ...

personJeroen

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2016

So the birth, knowledge and growth of Buddhism in the West could be said to have been precipitated by a hitherto-unknown and anonymous Italian Jesuit Missionary.

Fascinating.

Intriguing, the vice-like grip of censorship the Vatican had....

Incidentally, 'Desideri' means 'fervent wishes'.... It fits, I think, with the Author's own inexhaustible desire to research and get to the bottom of things.

Great article.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Negative Theology has a long history in Christian mysticism, going back to Greek ideas, which also influenced early Dharma.

Ay curumba. Buddhism is Western! Send out the Evangelical Monks to convert the heathen Sangha ... :3

Swaroop
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

It really drew me in right from the start like any good book does. In my own learning about philosophy Hume often comes up as one of people's favorites.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

This is fabulous. Thank you for sharing it!!

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Great piece of writing, I very much enjoyed the introduction to David Hume. Thank you!

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Terrific article.