Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Preparing for Zen

What do you do to prepare for sitting Zen?

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I assume you mean Zazen, which is the Zen meditation? What are you feeling unprepared for? I am not a Zen student but I have been meditating for years. I just put my cushion on the floor and sit. Usually first thing in the morning, always before I eat or have coffee. I don't really prepare beyond shutting off the house phone.

Someone more familiar with Zen will be along shortly, no doubt :)

• Will_BakerWill_Baker Vermont Veteran

@gavenv, It seems to me the best preparation for anything is a good night's sleep...

lobsterpommesetoranges
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited May 2016

@gavenv

When you are starting out with your zen practice or whenever there seems to be a difference between formal sitting zen meditation and your zen practice in daily life
    then you can
    light & offer incense to the Buddha, Dharma and Sangha, bow in gratitude to this opportunity to practice, to your own sitting place and as well as to offer the merits of your meditation to all sentient beings.

These forms can all aid in your development of concentration as well as reminding oneself of the appropriate reasons to practice this zen meditation.

But

zen practice also tries to teach the practitioner how to allow each moment of life to be it's own preparation for zen meditation.

lobsterVastmindSwaroop
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Sit

... meanwhile ...
    http://opcoa.st/0FpjB

• CinorjerCinorjer Veteran

Find a quiet spot where you won't be disturbed, wear loose clothing, get a cushion to sit on. If you like incense light one or a scented candle if you wish. A bit of ritual helps to settle the mind. Then sit and meditate. That's all.

• Wake. Get the black koromo on. Gassho to Buddha Shakyamuni thangka. Perform prostration. Gassho to cushion. Sit Burmese style on zafu on zabuton. Set Enso timer. Sound a shijoso three times. Gassho. Sit shikantaza ~ or simply sit on the cushion, set the timer, sit, breath.

Sitters choice.

Incense lit before sitting can be calming. Lit outside near a slightly open window is fine and doesn't overwhelm the senses.

Cinorjer
  • JohnMacJohnMac Dr Scotland Veteran

It's probably useful to do a bit of research before you attempt your first Zazen. This will help you to avoid disappointment and becoming discouraged early on. Check out Treeleaf Zendo ( Treeleaf.org) where I am a member. Jundo, our teacher, has a great selection of videos for new folks.

lobsterkarasti
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Here's a pretty straightforward instruction manual.

lobsterFosdick
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

Not sure is the OP's one sentence is asking

how we prepare for sitting Zen,
    or
    how one prepares for sitting Zen?

Vastmind
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@JohnMac said:
    It's probably useful to do a bit of research before you attempt your first Zazen. This will help you to avoid disappointment and becoming discouraged early on. Check out Treeleaf Zendo ( Treeleaf.org) where I am a member. Jundo, our teacher, has a great selection of videos for new folks.

Treeleaf provides instruction, walking and sitting, questions answered, a virtual temple and sangha. They have a chat forum, virtual get togethers. Two excellent instructors based in Japan. They use my current fav. meditation practice ...
    http://opcoa.st/0x6Yl

yagr
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

@gavenv said:

Nothing!

CinorjerVastmind
  • @gavenv said:

Rocky soundtrack and some light shadow boxing.

federicaWalkerCinorjer
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@genkaku said:
    Here's a pretty straightforward instruction manual.

Excellent simplicity.

Diana[sic]/chan/zen is best for simpletons. For practice. Practice sitting. Then improve ones sitting. Keep sitting until one can sit. Then just sit.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

I would be mindful of what I am coming from (how is my day) to the cushion. And mindful of why I am sitting down. Then feel the body and the breath.

lobster
  • yagryagr Veteran

@lobster said:
    Treeleaf provides instruction, walking and sitting, questions answered, a virtual temple and sangha. They have a chat forum, virtual get togethers. Two excellent instructors based in Japan. They use my current fav. meditation practice ...
    http://opcoa.st/0x6Yl

I've bookmarked this; doesn't often feel right. Did this time. Thanks.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@gavenv said:

Learn to talk in riddles. :p

lobster