Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Would your Mama be happy if you were enlightened?

Knowing that their child has removed suffering for eternity by removing their sense of self and will never be reborn?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

You expect anyone to say 'no'....?

What kind of a weird question is that....? :confused:

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I don't know, i suspect my mother is rather looking forward to us meeting up again in the afterlife sometime. But then she is a little odd.

Cinorjer
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

My mother is not Buddhist but she does like a lot of things in Buddhism such as knowing that things get ruined with time like 'don't get attached to anything glass'.

• FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

My mama would think I was deluded, or crazy, or both - and she would probably be right!

CinorjerlobsterBreathingSince72
  • LionduckLionduck Veteran

Short answer, yes.

Enlightenment is awakening. It is a beginning, not an end.

You out it quite well,@dooksta123, thank you.

Peace to all

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Strange to think: If someone is "enlightened," there is nothing anyone can do about it. Likewise if they're not "enlightened," there is nothing anyone can do about that either. Whether mom is happy or sad is mom's problem.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

The number of Buddhists that are not happy when others are enlightened and they are not is ... enlightening ... B)

Knowing that their child has removed suffering for eternity by removing their sense of self and will never be reborn?

That is what enlightenment is? No self and no rebirth ... and sort of awesome? I think Daddy Buddha would be turning in his Pureland ... :)

If I was Yo Mama, you would be told to do your dharma homework. Then when you came up with right answers, your mama would be happy ... o:)
    http://opcoa.st/0ZCTy

... and now back to self cycles ...

• LionduckLionduck Veteran

"Would your Mama be happy if you were enlightened?

@dooksta123 said:

Come to think about it, most all mothers just want their children to be happy - successful helps too.

This "...removing their sense of self and will never be reborn?" does not fit well.

@lobster said:

The number of Buddhists that are not happy when others are enlightened and they are not is ... enlightening ... B)

That is what enlightenment is? No self and no rebirth ... and sort of awesome? I think Daddy Buddha would be turning in his Pureland ... :)

If I was Yo Mama, you would be told to do your dharma homework. Then when you came up with right answers, your mama would be happy ... o:)

Definitely, HOMEWORK TIME for @dooksta123.

Then again, homework time for everyone. Or at least cocoa time.

Peace to all

lobster
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

My Mom would have probably been happy if I developed enlightening qualities.

On a personal note I think it's best to expand the sense of self to include us all before we attempt to abandon it altogether.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I think my mom would be fine with it. Though I can't really picture myself sitting at dinner with my mom and trying to convince her I was enlightened. It's not like coming out of the enlightenment closet where you have to suddenly make an announcement and wait for a reaction (I don't think). I trust people who simply go about living their lives moreso than those who make a point in announcing their new labels and/or titles.

• ZendoLord84ZendoLord84 Veteran
    edited May 2016

my mother would not care. I need to make money and be someone. Enlightenment would make me realise that I am nothing :pleased:

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@iamthezenmaster said:
    my mother would not care. I need to make money and be someone. Enlightenment would make me realise that I am nothing :pleased:

This reminds me of this American chap called Dan Harris, who wrote a book called 10% Happier... It was all about whether you could pursue enlightenment and still be ambitious and career minded.

I thought it was nonsensical. If you admit the goal of enlightenment, meditation and all the parts of the Noble Eightfold Path and the perfections, surely you have to let go of worldly goals and desires? It seems classic, a straightforward conflict to still have those status and money goals.

• My mom would probably ask me how much it paid. Then she would remind me to smile and to drive safely.

Shoshin