Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Silly question: What words do you use to replace curse words? :P

I've heard Bhante Vimalaramsi call a guy a "turkey" and I thought it was hilarious. XD What words do you guys use?

Comments

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited May 2016

I knew a funny monk who used to say "Flocons de maïs" when exasperated.

Of course even though he managed to make it sound so dirty, he was only saying "corn flakes".

silverSwaroopShoshinlobster
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

An old one where I come from is, "oh, fudge!" o:)

• WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

A few old standbys:

Sugarballs!
    Shuckums!
    Shut the front door!
    Oh, for Fox Creek! (Fox Creek is a small town near here)

Shoshin
  • dooksta123dooksta123 Explorer

haha cute responses but @genkaku, your answer makes me wonder about a much deeper topic, being, would my mother be happy if I was enlightened? But perhaps that's a discussion for another day, unless your insight juices are running. :P

Perhaps I should start that one on a different thread. lol

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Futtocks.

dooksta123lobsterKundo
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I use 'dangnabbit' or 'sufferin suckatash', largely stolen from old Looney Tunes cartoons. Somehow they have stuck with me... Foghorn Leghorn, Elmer J Fudd and Yosemite Sam are a rich source of source material.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2016

~ Moved to General Banter ~

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited May 2016

WTF! Isn't it strange how we substitute one word for another, only for it to mean/express the 'same' curse/thing...
    (BTW WTF stands for "What The Fish" ...A Singaporean friend of mine would say this when something weird happened-I never did find out why he used the word fish, but WTF :) )

As for me I tend to use the term Bugger a lot, which I guess is also weird, as it can be used as a term of abuse, especially for a man, or penetrate the anus of (someone) during sexual intercourse, or cause serious harm or trouble to, or used to express annoyance or anger. I often use it when slightly annoyed, for example "I" have made a mistake or forgot something... "Oh bugger I forgot the paperwork!"

*"Bugger"*

• Steve_BSteve_B Veteran

I don't think along those lines, so my sentences don't tend to have words that require replacing.

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@federica said:
    Futtocks.

Gosh - that almost sounds worse than the 'other' F-word! :p

losingthemindKundo
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran

'fraid I don't substitute. Given the right situation, "Well, sh*t!" comes out. Being an old fart raised to social proprieties, I don't cuss at all around women, children, or my boss at work. Usually. If the situation drags it out of me, I just apologize and continue on.

lobsterkarasti
  • losingthemindlosingthemind Little Rock, AR New

The Heart Sutra says that all things are empty. How much more empty, then, are the words used to describe them? I very rarely do, but when I curse, I just use the actual words.

lobsterCinorjer
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

holy cow instead of holy shit.

Cinorjer
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

o:)

Buddha!
    Dharma!
    Vajrasattva!
    OM MANI
    PEME HUNG!

I iz so ultra fu$&ing spiritual ...

CinorjerkarastiKundo

Haha my whole family and friends agree I take Buddhism way too seriously. I'm putting too much emphasis on the wrong things. Lol

Cinorjer
    edited May 2016

In Austria there a village which goes by the unfortunate name of "Fucking" (pronounced "Fooking" ) the poor Fucking villagers/locals have had enough of their Fucking sign post being pinched by the English speaking tourists travelling in the area....

Um I wonder what the local villagers call themselves ? :wink:

FosdicklobsterWalker

They say "Ich bin ein Fuckinger" (pron. 'Fookingher').

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Cundi or cunti the sometimes moustached female emanation of Chenresig is one of the few deity practices in the sutras.
    http://yinyana.tumblr.com/day/2012/08/21

... meanwhile for further edification ...
    http://opcoa.st/0xp97

• In Ireland, Feck!, Feck off!, feck it, feck-all, fecker, feck(ed) up, fair fecks (kudos), (for) feck(‘s) sake, fecked (exhausted, ruined, in a bad situation), and the intensifier feckin’ or fecking, which often collocates with eejit, hell, gobshite or some such insult are all far less offensive than the alternative "f--k" and what's more they are family friendly! But let's not forget "flip", flipping, flipped up, flip off and flipping flipper as a close second in mincing "f--k". Personally, (here he goes) I tend to agree with Mark Twain, "There ought to be a room in every house to swear in. It's dangerous to have to repress an emotion like that."

DairyLama
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Flipping heck, Flaming hell, Frigging hell/heck...
    A common one that's often overlooked is "Jesus Christ"... (Mind you, some are inclined to add the 'F' word in between :)

• FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

Around other people I will usually use "Rats", "Curses", or something that will sound a bit funny in the circumstances. Around the dogs and my long-suffering spouse, I will use the rankest, foulest blasphemies that my mind can derive from the Abrahamic tradition. Very satisfying.

Kundo
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

There are quite a few studies now that show cursing is a good stress release, lol. But I don't imagine it has to do as much with the actual word said. I feel much better if I yell out a silly word because then it leads to laughter rather than aggravation over what I am upset about. My kids find it hilarious. The other day I had already driven several miles and realized I forgot something I needed and had to go back. I said "Mustard cats!!! I have to go back."

but sometimes the naughty words come out too and I find that it makes me feel worse about the situation rather than better because I've immersed myself in what was a crappy, brief situation by saying words that change my view of the situation in a negative way. Cursing takes me to a different place mentally, and it's not usually a good place. Especially if I am using them to express my frustration with anyone other than myself.

Shoshin
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited May 2016

Given I can make a sailor blush, I have been making a concerted effort to not swear. So I use Bork instead of F**k- with varying results.

ShoshinDairyLama
  • DhammikaDhammika Veteran

I've tried to substitute the British/Irish use of 'shite,' but it's too much of a cognate to the real thing and when uttered in a foul-mouthed mood/outburst is pretty much full-on Wrong Speech. It is interesting that four of the 8 Lifetime Precepts in Therevada Buddhism have to do with speech (false, malicious, harsh and useless). I love the onomatopoeia of the Pali word for useless speech: samphappalapa, which as the author at the link below notes, is so similar to blah-blah-blah.

https://buddhasadvice.wordpress.com/2015/12/05/useful-speech/

• GrooverGroover England. Explorer

I tend to use a politicians name,sadly there's one I really dislike. To be honest I dislike them all but this one especially. I use his name as a substitute for a whole variety of swear words