Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Atlas of Emotions

BunksBunks Australia Veteran

I thought this was pretty cool - created by Paul and Eve Ekman in conjunction with HHDL.

http://atlasofemotions.com/

The blurb about it reads:

This Atlas was created to increase understanding of how emotions influence our lives, giving us choice, (at least some of the time) about which emotion we are experiencing, and how our emotions influence what we say and do. While emotions are central to our lives – providing the joy, alerting us to threats, a force for change, a warning against what is toxic, and calling to others for help – we don’t choose what to feel or when to feel it. The Atlas of Emotions was created to give us more awareness of our emotions, and sometimes even some choice about what we are feeling, through better understanding of how emotions work.

personShoshinkarastiRuddyDuck9Deformedherberto

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

That is a well designed and interesting site. It was easy to see where my own emotions fit in and helped give some insight into them.

Bunks
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

The idea of using calm to evaluate our arising mind/emotion states is very useful. It is the basis of much Buddhist theory and practice.

Thanks for sharing.

• SwaroopSwaroop India Veteran

We can "call it by it's true name" now. Thanks. I have bookmarked the site.

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited May 2016

There is an app being developed, that you can sign up for, to be notified of, on the site. I am signed up ready to be cyber-counselled. B)

In my experience the negative emotions can to a degree be transformed. Yoga and meditation can and often do unlock or release these emotive states ...
    http://opcoa.st/05Hl6

From my own experience of fear, anxiety and anger: First of all my anger was locked or suppressed and was very much linked to fear/anxiety. I believe these conditions are protective in nature/essence and hence can be used in some circumstances skilfully/wrathfully. I know that has to be when we control/master the extent, nature and context of the expression rather than being overwhelmed by the negative dukkha based emotions.

Here is a plan ... <3
    http://opcoa.st/05HhV

ShoshinBunks
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Thanks @Bunks ...it looks quite interesting and no doubt it will be an helpful tool... I've read some articles he wrote and one of his books, he's quite an authority on emotions...I'll be checking the link out in more detail when time permits ....

Bunks
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

Awesome. Thank you @Bunks _ /\ _

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited June 2016

The emotions that come from equinimity and calm and ultimately enlightenment are very different to the body based, animalistic, hormone fuelled, base being. The emotions from enlightenment are compassion, metta, empathic insight etc.

In our initial involvement with dharma we may be shamed that we experience fear, anger, disgust etc. So un-lady-Buddha like. Suppressing, ignoring or giving vent to lust, addictive and patterened emotive behaviour is understandable and we may require skilful temporary respite ...

The problem is rogue behavour is 'taught' or illustrated by scoundrels without recourse and eventual directions into the real dharma skill set.

For example we may feel anxious, fearful, or angry. The experience feels very real. Quite rightly but often completely inappropriately and unsuitable for beginners, we may be guided to a cushion, sutra or long term assurance of cause and effectiveness. We maybe can be more comprehensive and skilful ...

Anything that helps to lessen dukkha even as a temporary measure is of service and can be part of our repetoire ...

Bunksherberto
  • herbertoherberto Arizona Explorer

The site looks interesting and helpful, however they don't seem to have a format that's compatible with my phone. I'll check it out on my computer later. Thanks for sharing.

Bunks