Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just for fun: the random, useless announcements thread!

Comments

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@Bunks, The island being like it is, it's possible I know her uncle to say hello to...I meet and greet lots of locals without ever knowing their names...There are locals I've known for years, but I don't know their names...

Is he moving just for a change ? or a necessity ? It would seem a lot of people are having to sell up and move off the island, some have no choice, they just can't afford to live here any more...and renters like myself are also finding it hard, the rents have sky rocketed and pickings are slim ...We have a rental housing crises on the island...and I guess it's the same throughout NZ....

A lot of islanders either move up north to Whangarei or the Coromandel ....

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

I think there were a couple of factors @Shoshin. He lost access to the beach he was beside because the owners of the beachside resort at Orapiu no longer allowed him to tow his boat through their property. Also, he is getting on a bit and I think was starting to have some issues getting up the steps from his house to the road.

• LionduckLionduck Veteran

Sorry, my little dingy doesn't do well on those transpacific routes.
    Should be fun, though. Enjoy your party.

Oh, I found out one of my distant relatives is in a small band in Queensland. I saw a video of his band performing, nice and pure Aussie. B)

Peace to all

Shoshin

As they say "A change is as good as a holiday".. May your wife's uncle settle well in Coromandel @Bunks ...

Bunks

@Lionduck said:
    Sorry, my little dingy doesn't do well on those transpacific routes.
    Should be fun, though. Enjoy your party.

Oh, I found out one of my distant relatives is in a small band in Queensland. I saw a video of his band performing, nice and pure Aussie. B)

Peace to all

May I ask what band your relative is in @Lionduck?

I will try to get the name from my cousin and let you know.

Bunks
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

I might be getting a rabbit. As a pet, not to eat. :p

Rowan1980BunksShoshin

@Rowan1980 said:
    Brief bit of excellent news: After having to survive on temp jobs and otherwise low-paying part-time work for the last few years, my wife is starting a new, full-time, decently-paying job on Monday! It's with the company I've been working for for almost seven years, but she's in a different area. (She'll be handling accounts receivable work on medical claims, and I work in the IT/Programming department.) She'll be working in the office, and I'm still fine with working from home. Suffice to say, this is a huge relief. :)

Yay! I love good news.......

Rowan1980
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

@SpinyNorman said:

Have folks around here that never mow their lawn. They just have bunnies in a big heavy wire cage with no bottom that they move each day to where ever their grass is longest.

Rowan1980Bunks
  • Rowan1980Rowan1980 Keeper of the Zoo Asheville, NC Veteran

@how said:

@SpinyNorman said:

Have folks around here that never mow their lawn. They just have bunnies in a big heavy wire cage with no bottom that they move each day to where ever their grass is longest.

I know folks who do similarly with chickens.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Rushmoor Borough Council use sheep to trim the grass on the water reservoir banks, as they do in Sunbury....

• SwaroopSwaroop India Veteran

you guys like my new profile pic?

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Very nice, but remember anyone accessing the forum will now know what you look like.
    Up to you whether you're comfortable with that.

That said, there are a couple of members with personal pic's up. So the choice is of course, yours.

My life is a open book :p

spencerstoneBunks

Bully for you. Mine sure as hell ain't.

Swaroopspencerstone

@how, that's an utterly ridiculous post and totally uncalled for. Talk about misleading....

Anybody knows that lobster is much better with an hollandaise sauce and a mousseline of caviar.

howlobsterShoshinBunks
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

Good luck in getting lobster to visit any of us now!

Shoshin
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

^^^
    Have no fear guys I belong to a long tradition of willingly sacrificed 'edible gods', bring your own wine or sauce of preference ... :p

1 Corinthians 11:24
    "This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me."

o:)

WalkerSwaroop
  • WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

Way to go guys... keep on feeding @lobster messiah complex...

lobsterShoshin
    edited May 2016

WalkerJeffrey
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@Swaroop said:

Yes.

You look like my teacher, who was a paccekabuddha from North India. However you are a lot taller and don't wear a wig and high heels.

I belonged to a gnostic Christian group for a while, they made the newest committed recruit the lecturer for their public meetings. I feel this 'infantile guru' strategy is official Tibetan Tantra policy. Ay caramba!

Have I wandered off topic? Ah well ... back to personality cultism ...

Swaroop

@federica said: Anybody knows that lobster is much better with an hollandaise sauce and a mousseline of caviar.

Or a nice chianti and some fava beans. :p

lobsterWalkerJeroen

Dang! I haven't seen lobster that big in eons! In these parts, they got fished out, along with the abalone, in the 70's and haven't recovered yet. :(
    Well prepared abalone...dream's over, no abs to be had.

@lobster said:

@Swaroop said:

Yes.

You look like my teacher, who was a paccekabuddha from North India. However you are a lot taller and don't wear a wig and high heels.

High heels and a wig? Was your teacher a drag queen?

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

^^^ Short and bald. He had extra heels put on his shoes.

Swaroop
    edited May 2016

Yesterday was both my husband's birthday AND our 5th wedding anniversary. In honour of the deep love and respect I have for him, I sent him this:

He agreed it's probably the truest thing I could have ever told him.

BunksSwaroop
  • GrooverGroover England. Explorer

Can a man with a beard tell a bare faced lie? And no its not a Zen Koan...but maybe it should be?

How did you know my husband has a beard....?

Groover
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited May 2016

Arrrggghhh.

Anybody else have their PC tell them they are now being upgraded to windows10.
    I've had them ask before but always it came with the possibility of being declined.
    This time it was just a statement that it was doing it, followed up by an immediate shutting down of my computer for an hour while it downloaded the new program. Then it gave me the choice of whether to accept it or not..followed by another shut down of my computer when I did decline after warning me how much better the windows 10 was over my 8.
    Well surprise of surprises, the window 8 was re installed but now seems to operate at half the speed it used to and with a new compliment of freezing glitches.

Are they trying to give apple all there business?????

silver
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Ah yes @how - someone on another forum just gave the same type of story - said the next computer he bought would be a Mac - - MS wants to force it on peeps before the July deadline. I said me too! I have a geek friend and neighbor who said 10 isn't so bad and I caved a few months ago.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2016

I haven't done it (windows 10) thinking of how it affects games on the computer.

In the long run, really guys - does it honestly matter....? :confounded:

• howhow Veteran Veteran

@federica said:
    In the long run, really guys - does it honestly matter....? :confounded:

uuhhh, Have you looked at the heading for this thread?

Yeah, but I was being specific, not general.
    In the general - nothing actually matters, does it? :)

Are you ok @federica?

how

Well thanks for asking, @Bunks, but yes, honestly, I am.
    Had a bit of a wake-up call a while ago, when one of the colleagues with whom I interacted every day, and spent time with, laughed with, chatted with and passed the time of day with, was driving home along a dual carriageway, was then blind-sided and battered by a truck and promptly died.

It just brings home the trivia of computer programs (sorry folks, wasn't trying to rain on the parade....).

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

^^^ So sorry to hear that. Shocking, I'm sure. Sending hugs your way....

howWalkersilver

Wow! That's pretty heavy @federica - sometimes stuff like that does put life into perspective.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

@how said:
    Arrrggghhh.

Anybody else have their PC tell them they are now being upgraded to windows10.

Some Windows 10 components are stealthily added to every version of Windows from 7 up. Even if you say 'no to an upgrade', the wording is ambiguous and some people are accepting when they think they have declined ...
    http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/microsoft-backtracks-on-controversial-windows-10-upgrade-tactics-again--1322273

@how said:> Anybody else have their PC tell them they are now being upgraded to windows10.

I think I agreed to a Windows 10 upgrade, but there is no obvious difference, meanwhile Microsoft keep uploading Windows "updates" and I have no idea what they are for, it's all a bleedin' mystery to me. What's it all abart, Alfie? :p

silver
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

^^^ security updates and fixes of previous upgrades ...

silver

I just sent a postal vote for the EU referendum which is whether we Brits want to stay in the European Union, I voted to stay in. The actual vote day isn't for several weeks though. President Obama said we should stay in and he seems like a jolly nice chap. :p

Swaroop

I can't vote.
    I'm not on the electoral register.
    Besides, I haven't voted in any election taking place in the last 20+ years.
    I like it that some say to me, "Well if you don't vote you have no right to comment!"

Au contraire, mon ami, if YOU vote, you support one stance, and oppose another.
    Me? I can oppose, support and comment on all and sundry, anyone I like, when I want.
    At the end of the day, you can tell they're lying when their lips move.... I do not trust a single damn one of them. Personal agendas, self-aggrandisement, money in their pockets.

That's what it all boils down to.

silvermmo
    edited May 2016

@federica said:.....Had a bit of a wake-up call a while ago, when one of the colleagues with whom I interacted every day, and spent time with, laughed with, chatted with and passed the time of day with, was driving home along a dual carriageway, was then blind-sided and battered by a truck and promptly died.

Thinking on the above comment, vis-a-vis this thread, submitted by our nearest and dearest @SpinyNorman, It bears considering that the woman in question had a severe form of MS for which she took quite a bit of medication, and also had a heart condition.
    When we are disgnosed with a potentially life-threatening illness, we presume and take for granted that this is very well what will in all probability 'carry us off'.
    We seldom pause to think life might have different plans and may well blindside us by throwing a curve-ball... As happened with her.

So while you may consider living life on a knife-edge, @SpinyNorman dear, having adventures and living dangerously, I for one would dearly hope you won't throw all caution to the wind and over-do it. Like, bungee-jumping, for example.... without the bungee.....

Swaroop
  • WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

Or going on an unabashed ice cream eating spree...

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

My windows 7 got corrupted so only using mac now until I figure it out how to fix.

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited May 2016

A pleasingly ironic 12 minute take on the Game of Thrones by it's cast that will probably only be enjoyed by the few closet devotees of this series on NB.

That was funny. Honestly, I never watch the programme, but that was hilarious... loved the rasta....

"That was the first romantic ballad on Incest in Coldplay's career..." .

Brilliant.