Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Ganesha

FlowerFairyFlowerFairy Portsmouth New
edited May 2016 in Faith & Religion

Hello,
So from what I have read Buddhism doesn't have a God so can I also ask why is Ganesha recognised as someone of importance?
Sorry if its the wrong category.
I'm also quite new to this site and Buddhism and the teachings :)

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Interesting... Wikipedia has an article on Ganesha and his appearance in world religions, among which Buddhism.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganesha_in_world_religions

While Buddhism doesn't acknowledge an omnipotent, omniscient creator God, it does have a divine realm which houses god-beings, or at least this is my understanding. One can be reborn there if your karma is right.

FlowerFairyperson
  • FlowerFairyFlowerFairy Portsmouth New

Okay, well I shall try and find the link (found it:
    http://www.hinduwebsite.com/buddhism/buddhaongod.asp ) because I also found that
    Buddhist don't believe in Gods because everything is constantly changing.

Whilst yes, our energy would be reborn but we wouldn't as there is no are no souls.

Sorry if I am getting this wrong its hard to learn things when the internet has so much knowledge and contradicts its self (I kind of feel it does)

Thank you for replying!

• FlowerFairyFlowerFairy Portsmouth New

That clears that up a lot! Thank you!

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Here is some further info on deity practice, how it works and how it is different from thinking one is Micky Mouse (which chaos magicians may do but that is another issue)
    http://studybuddhism.com/en/tibetan-buddhism/tantra/buddhist-tantra/buddhist-deity-or-mickey-mouse-what-s-the-difference

It is quite long but worth understanding:

In summary, deity-yoga is done within the very large framework of:

Wanting to get rid of our problems
    Putting a safe direction in our lives as a way to overcome these problems
    Following the principles of behavioral cause and effect as how we approach problems and their causes
    Renouncing our ordinary deluded self-image, and using a pure one to be able to help others and keep our focus on enlightenment
    Understanding that it’s not real but like an illusion, however it is valid since we can attain it in the future
    Receiving authorization and empowerment to do the practice, based on having prepared for this with preliminary practices
    Receiving guidance from a qualified spiritual master who has had successful experience in the practice
    Being linked to a long lineage of people who’ve done the practice successfully and attained enlightenment through it, giving us confidence
    Keeping the discipline of vowed commitments and various vows that we take in terms of our ethical behavior and interaction with others
    Keeping our practice confidential and private, and being humble about it.
    Generally speaking, delusional persons lack all of the above.

FlowerFairyherberto
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2016

In Buddhism Gods are mentioned even in Theravada. But Gods are not enlightened.