Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Why do you do Buddhist practice?

DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

For me a big reason is because life becomes more interesting, and experience richer. I'm not too concerned with ideas of enlightenment these days, or even freedom from suffering.

How about you?

Cinorjerherberto

Comments

• The same reason that I watch a movie, listen to music, read books or buy a new phone. Things that make life interesting and "richer". Basically discontentment with what is or plain old dukkha.

CinorjerVastmind
  • BarahBarah Veteran

Because it's interesting.

CinorjerBunks
  • WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

The basic tenets of Buddhism seem to explain what's going on in this life. The Four Noble Truths and Eightfold Path registered with me in a way that nothing else has.

CinorjerherbertoVastmindRuddyDuck9
  • namarupanamarupa Veteran

I follow because it feels like the most logical thing to do. If I did not follow the five precepts for example, it feels for certain some kind of disaster is bound my way.

Cinorjer
  • JohnMacJohnMac Dr Scotland Veteran

I don't know

howBunks
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited May 2016

How each moment presents the potential for suffering and it's cessation, is my journey's compass.

Why do a Buddhist practice?

Well, when comparing the manifestations of my own ignorance, with my experiences of it's transcendence, I do it because the alternative for me is idiocy.

One teacher I liked compared her experience of practicing to climbing a ladder where her view of the consequences of falling off it got scarier with every new step taken.

BunksVastmindRuddyDuck9
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2016

To make me more calm when things don't go my way and many other things that help.

I would say when I sit I have the thought of seeing what is there in my meditation and being open to reading more or learning more.

silver
  • It's like that old Mose Allison song, "I don't worry 'bout a thing...(cause I know nothing's going to be alright).
    http://www.songlyrics.com/mose-allison/i-don-t-worry-about-a-thing-lyrics/

• lobsterlobster Veteran

^^^
    I'll go with that from @dhammachick <3
    Better for others, myself and the sphere of my interaction.

Must admit I am still working up to person-hood. Just need more practice ...

personKundoVastmindRuddyDuck9
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Shoshin said: It beats sitting around doing nothing :)

That is Buddhist practice for some folks. :p

KundoShoshinRuddyDuck9
  • SwaroopSwaroop India Veteran

The practice keeps me alive.

silverRuddyDuck9
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

Because it's just the proper way to live. :)

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@lobster said:
    ^^^
    I'll go with that from @dhammachick <3
    Better for others, myself and the sphere of my interaction.

Must admit I am still working up to person-hood. Just need more practice ...

You're doing a good job, just quietly :heart::+1:

• GuiGui Veteran

-because it's part of the dream.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Wake up!!!

dukkha
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Bunks
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@Bunks said:
    It speaks to me like nothing else I have come across in my life.

It has filled a hole in my heart that needed filling.

Let me take this opportunity to say thanks to all the good folk on NB too.for all.your inspirational words and advice over the last few years.

You're a good mate @Bunks (and you share my dislike for Collingwood :wink: )

_ /\ _ :heart:

Bunksherbertodukkha
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited May 2016

Why do you do Buddhist practice?

It's a get out of jail free card which does not involve a creator..... well apart from karma...
    I guess the real reason is because I don't believe in what the Buddha said.....I practice to see for my self :)

herbertodukkhaRuddyDuck9
  • RatBoyRatBoy St. Louis area New

I was looking for some sort of discipline - a codification of reasonable behaviors that I could follow, day-to-day, which would make me a better person. The four truths, eightfold path, three jewels, five precepts, and other teachings provide that.

I also found a couple of layers of reality, a peeling back of the onion if you will, that help me to understand the underlying causes of behaviors (both mine and others') and maintain some calm as I move through life.

I'm not far down the path, but it feels absolutely right when I get it right!

lobsterherbertodukkhaRuddyDuck9
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2016

RatBoy, If you are interested in codification of reasonable behaviors I wonder if you would enjoy the lojong slogans and teachings.

RatBoydukkha
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@SpinyNorman said:
    For me a big reason is because life becomes more interesting, and experience richer. I'm not too concerned with ideas of enlightenment these days, or even freedom from suffering.

How about you?

I feel the same ... also, I'm discovering more and more, that doing my Buddhist practice (insofar as I understand it) makes it possible to forgive myself and others for sh*t in life! :3

ShoshinRatBoylobsterdukkha
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

Like waves, all the activities of this life have rolled endlessly on, one after the other, yet they have left us feeling empty-handed. Myriads of thoughts have run through our mind, each one giving birth to many more, but what they have done is to increase our confusion and dissatisfaction.
    ~ Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche

persondukkha
  • RatBoyRatBoy St. Louis area New

@Jeffrey said:
    RatBoy, If you are interested in codification of reasonable behaviors I wonder if you would enjoy the lojong slogans and teachings.

Thanks for the heads-up; I will investigate these!

• FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

Why do I do Buddhist practice? I think my reasons vary and change from time to time; At the moment, it is, so far as possible, to see myself and the world as they are and not as I would imagine or wish them to be.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

@how said:
    One teacher I liked compared her experience of practicing to climbing a ladder where her view of the consequences of falling off it got scarier with every new step taken.

B)

In Buddhism, failure is an option. Not only do I constantly fall off the ladder, sometimes I even dismantle the climbing instinct. None of us want to hurt or be hurt ... unless ignorance has its benefits ('bliss' for example).

Practice is a consolidation of skilfulness as @how mentions.

We don't have to practice, make effort or be mindful. Does that work for anyone? How well, for how long?

Personally practice works increasingly succcessfully. I measure that succcess in a very individually applicable way ...

dukkha
  • rohitrohit Maharrashtra Veteran

Buddhism tells us to be realistic and impermance promice end to pain as well.
    Verified many times and it brings piece. Enlightment is when you understand little things.

dukkha
  • GuiGui Veteran

I think it has been how to learn to stop doing. Even Buddhism.
    Just experience life without purpose or reason and participate fully.

silverRuddyDuck9lobster
  • dukkhadukkha Quebec, Canada New

@Shoshin said: > the real reason is because I don't believe in what the Buddha said.....I practice to see for my self :)>
    @Shoshin , same here.

• dukkhadukkha Quebec, Canada New

I was very impressed when I first found out that not only we don't have the Creator God but we can become the Buddha ourselves. That's is Cool! I intend to try it.

Shoshin
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran

@federica said:
    Because I know that everything I have examined and scrutinised in it - so far - has proven to be accurate. The 4NT are verifiable to every degree.
    There's not much else you can say that about....

I like this answer.

lobsterRuddyDuck9
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited May 2016

@shanyin said:
    I like this answer.

<3

Keep up the good work o:)

Dharma works. Each of us implementing and centring ourselves in the Middle Way know dharma works. We develop appreciation according to our commitment and practice efforts.

No theory required. Just experience for ourselves ...

• ShimShim Veteran

I don't do Buddhist practice. (I'm not saying this as in "I've transcended everything - even Buddhism".)

But I do meditate (maybe that's the same thing after all) because, well, it seems to be well enough backed-up by science, it fascinates me and it's a good alternative to being over-reactive to everything.